Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Stuck with wider tyres

Hey BHPians,
Recently I changed the worn out 175/65/R14 tyres on my OHC to Yokohama S-drives to an upsize of 205/55/R15. Changed the rims too. The upsize on the Rim dia has worked out absolutely fine but the wider tyres are brushing against the front strut covers on full turn. The screeching could be heard clearly on doing the turn.
To resolve the issue I got a pair of 4mm thick aluminium spacers but that has'nt eliminated the problem though the rubbing has reduced. Other option I was looking at was getting a pair of Hub spacers which would sufficiently space the rims from the hub but have'nt yet been successful in sourcing them.
Once I get them I can lathe the thickness down to ~10-12mm so that the rims dont project out distinctly from the car body.

Advise guys....
Old 5th May 2011, 17:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Stuck with wider tyres

your story truly saved me , i was thinking of getting the same profile tyres for my ohc in a couple of days and had the same doubt . well the right profile is 205/50/R15, that itself may explain the brushing of tyres against strut covers.
may be the only possible advice is to downgrade or to switch on to the right profile. hope other members turn out to your help.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
your story truly saved me , i was thinking of getting the same profile tyres for my ohc in a couple of days and had the same doubt . well the right profile is 205/50/R15, that itself may explain the brushing of tyres against strut covers.
may be the only possible advice is to downgrade or to switch on to the right profile. hope other members turn out to your help.
With alloy wheels with proper offset this can be eliminated.
It acheives the same thing OP is trying to acheive with the spacers. So don't lose hope with 205/55 tyres.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:57   #4
BHPian

My bad if the problem can be resolved, but nevertheless with another set of wheels.
As in my case, should i go ahead with the 205/50/R15's ?
Old 5th May 2011, 20:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
My bad if the problem can be resolved, but nevertheless with another set of wheels.
As in my case, should i go ahead with the 205/50/R15's ?
Stick to 195/50 R15 just to be safe. Im quite sure it wont scrape anything.

Sunilb - Rather than messing around with stuff like spacers which will spoil the dynamics of your car, why not just try and get an exchange? After all 205/55 R15 is a Swift upsize I think and should be moving off the shelves easily.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:01   #6
BHPian

I had similar problem when I upgraded from 155/70 R13 to 185/60 R13 JK Ultima XT on my Santro. Also the tyre was hitting the fender when going over sudden undulations on highways at high speed as it was slightly sticking out of the wheel well.

But I did not face the problem for long. The ultima xts being designed for track use went bald in 20K kms..

Threw them and got a safer 175/60 yoko A539.

I would suggest negotiating an exchange with dealer.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:17   #7
BHPian

Well then, will just stick to 195"s, they wont be hard on the FE too. thank you.
PS : tyre prices have soared sky high compared to last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks