Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 18:25   #211
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Replacement is necessary.

How old are they? If its within warranty, please contact them and get a prorata replacement.
These are 4 years old and came with the car. They have run only 35k KM overall. I was hoping before these cracks appeared to get to another couple of years atleast as it had good amount of tread remaining.
Old 4th March 2021, 18:27   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes please replace the set more so if you do highway runs. I just replaced my Michelins. All 4 had cracks. Guideline for replacements:

a) Age - a max of 10 years after production date
b) Wear - tread wear indicator visible
c) Physical damage - This includes cuts and large punctures to the sidewall, damage to the tread or carcass for e.g. if the steel belts are visible. Never attempt to get these repaired
Yes, it primarily only does highway runs.

The sets are 4 year old OEM ones and 35k KM run. Tread depth is good and these cracks appeared last weekend.
Old 4th March 2021, 18:31   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
These are 4 years old and came with the car. They have run only 35k KM overall. I was hoping before these cracks appeared to get to another couple of years atleast as it had good amount of tread remaining.
Contact Michelin directly through their warranty page, this should be covered ideally. In my case it was JK and I got it replaced prorata.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 09:01   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Yes, it primarily only does highway runs.

The sets are 4 year old OEM ones and 35k KM run. Tread depth is good and these cracks appeared last weekend.
Please replace them. These tyres can fail during long journeys. Don't take a risk with tyre blowouts.

BTW Michelin's warranty is 5 years. It used to be 3 previously. Check your warranty card for the exact coverage.

I doubt Michelin will cover this under warranty. The cracks are due to aging of the compound which is exacerbated by the environment and even lack of use of a vehicle. But you can try since there's nothing to lose. Just be aware that any replacements will be pro-rata and provided from old stocks due to import restrictions assuming they are available.
Old 15th April 2021, 23:36   #215
BHPian

Guys I have a doubt and I would like some help.
So in the month of February I upgraded the 60k kms done stock tyres on my Baleno Delta Petrol to Yokohama BlueEart GT (new series launched), with the change of the tyres, the guy suggested getting new nozzles as well and I too decided that the older ones are 5 years old so lets do that. He put in the nozzles which are very similar to these .

I also own an Amazon Basics Tyre Inflator which I use to maintain the tyre pressure. Now recently I have observed is that after upgrading the tyres and nozzles, if I put in the inflator to top up the tyre, after the desired pressure is reached, the compressor stops but on the display of the inflator, I can see the pressure drop. I have never faced this issue earlier and this looks very weird.
I am trying to figure out if this is an issue of the new valves or the inflator has some issue. Anybody else faced anything similar?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th April 2021, 10:25   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Now recently I have observed is that after upgrading the tyres and nozzles, if I put in the inflator to top up the tyre, after the desired pressure is reached, the compressor stops but on the display of the inflator, I can see the pressure drop. I have never faced this issue earlier and this looks very weird.
If there is a slow leak from those valves, why not check that by spraying soapy water on those valves to see if there are any bubbles coming. If yes, valves could be faulty.

Also if you feel the inflator is the issue, get the air topped up at any fuel station and then check.
Old 16th April 2021, 21:11   #217
Senior - BHPian

While I wait for my Thar to get delivered I was contemplating if I should change my Santro's puny tires. I have a 2019 Santro, run only 5700 KMs. It comes with Ceat Fuel Smart - 155/80/R13 puny tires shod on steel wheels. While I quite dig how steel wheels look, I just hate the ride quality of the Santro. It is very bouncy and also very noisy. So here are my questions:

1. This is not my primary car. Right now it is, but going forward I will hopefully get my Thar delivered and I will only drive this occasionally. So does it make sense to take the extra effort and change the tires?

2. Will getting better tires (same size) - say Yokos or Bridgestones significantly improve the bouncy unsettling ride?

3. I dont want to upsize my tires as it might need a change of the steel wheels but if it helps why not. So what size can I upgrade to?

4. Given all this, what are my options?
Old 16th April 2021, 22:08   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
3. I dont want to upsize my tires as it might need a change of the steel wheels but if it helps why not. So what size can I upgrade to?
You can safely upsize to either 165 70 R14 or 175 65 R14 since both of them fall within the safe & preferable upsize limit of 2% (difference in circumference). You might need to invest in alloys as well should you choose to go with these.
Old 16th April 2021, 22:17   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. This is not my primary car. Right now it is, but going forward I will hopefully get my Thar delivered and I will only drive this occasionally. So does it make sense to take the extra effort and change the tires?
Since it will not be the primary car, better to leave it alone and play with tyre pressures to make the ride less bouncy.

Quote:
2. Will getting better tires (same size) - say Yokos or Bridgestones significantly improve the bouncy unsettling ride?
Bouncy ride is also inherent to the suspension as much as the tyres. While it will certainly help to an extent but if the suspension is set up to be on the firm and bouncy side, no extent of soft compound tyre can help.

Quote:
Slight upgrade to the width should not need a change of the steel wheels. I went for 165 section tyres on the Alto K10 which also came with 155 from the OEM. I was lucky to get the Michelin XM2 at the time of purchase ~3 years back and it made an immense improvement to the road noise inside the car.
Old 11th July 2021, 17:06   #220
BHPian

Hi - I have a 2015 Nissan Micra that's run 35,000 kms. The tyres that came with the car have now developed some issues. There is a bulge on driver's side tyre and back tyres have some pieces come off. There are 6-7 punctures that have been fixed on the different tyres over the years. Attached a few images for reference.

I diligently get the wheel alignment and balancing done during car servicing when recommended. There seems to be enough tread still available though. One of my friends suggested that these are superficial issues only. A couple of drivers in my apartment looked at it and said the bulge can be fixed by a local tyre shop for Rs. 500 and all will be well after that.

I have a couple of long trips from Bangalore coming up, one to Kodai and another to Chennai. I am worried whether these tyres will be good for the long runs or I should look to change.

If replace, should I look to get the same Bridgestone B250 175/60 R15 81H only? What about B290 as these seem newer?

Everyone at home complains about the poor ride quality and I am not sure if this is caused by the tyres themselves or the car suspension or something like that. I would appreciate any advice from the experts on this forum.

Thanks and regards.
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-img20210707125258.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20210707125317.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20210707125405.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20210707125532.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20210707125540.jpg  

Old 11th July 2021, 17:46   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Hi - I have a 2015 Nissan Micra that's run 35,000 kms. The tyres that came with the car have now developed some issues. There is a bulge on driver's side tyre and back tyres have some pieces come off. There are 6-7 punctures that have been fixed on the different tyres over the years. Attached a few images for reference.
I'd suggest you to go ahead and change those tires. Those cracks and bulges might be ok in the city but I wouldn't risk my life with those in the highway. A small price for safety and peace of mind. I'm pretty sure the tires have hardened and the same has been conveyed well by the family.

I believe the 290 has replaced the 250 but you really don't have to stick with the Bridgestones. There are plenty of good options like Michelin, Continental, Yokohama etc but then it all comes down to your budget, driving style and requirements.
Old 11th July 2021, 18:03   #222
BANNED

Quote:
If replace, should I look to get the same Bridgestone B250 175/60 R15 81H only? What about B290 as these seem newer?

Everyone at home complains about the poor ride quality and I am not sure if this is caused by the tyres themselves or the car suspension or something like that.
Please change the tyres ASAP. 5 to 6 years is the time zone for a tyre to last in our Indian conditions irrespective of the kilometres clocked. Since you have a couple of highway drive's lined up, change the tyre before that.

I can hardly see any worthwhile thread left on these Bridgestone's. They must have hardened hence the complaints of poor ride quality.

Options for replacement, I can suggest are Yokohama BluEarth-AE51, Michelin XM2+, Apollo Alnac 4G and Bridgestone B290
Old 11th July 2021, 18:08   #223
BHPian

As a rule, I change my tyres if its worn out to the indicators. Or if its more than 5 years old.
Old 11th July 2021, 18:14   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 years old tyre, teared sidewall, puncture on the shoulder and treads worn out up to the wear mark. All these tell you to replace the tyre ASAP. Even during a city drive, they may creat problems.

With new set of tyres, you will feel a noticeable improvement in the ride quality.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 11th July 2021 at 18:16.
Old 11th July 2021, 18:43   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I'd suggest you to go ahead and change those tires. Those cracks and bulges might be ok in the city but I wouldn't risk my life with those in the highway. A small price for safety and peace of mind. I'm pretty sure the tires have hardened and the same has been conveyed well by the family.

I believe the 290 has replaced the 250 but you really don't have to stick with the Bridgestones. There are plenty of good options like Michelin, Continental, Yokohama etc but then it all comes down to your budget, driving style and requirements.
Honestly, I will have to do a some checking of the costs involved as the last time I did this was over 8 years ago with my previous Honda City. And those were Bridgestones as well. Appreciate your quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please change the tyres ASAP. 5 to 6 years is the time zone for a tyre to last in our Indian conditions irrespective of the kilometres clocked. Since you have a couple of highway drive's lined up, change the tyre before that.

Options for replacement, I can suggest are Yokohama BluEarth-AE51, Michelin XM2+, Apollo Alnac 4G and Bridgestone B290
Thank you, Anurag. This is very helpful and I will check the specific brands/options you've suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
6 years old tyre, teared sidewall, puncture on the shoulder and treads worn out up to the wear mark. All these tell you to replace the tyre ASAP. Even during a city drive, they may creat problems.

With new set of tyres, you will feel a noticeable improvement in the ride quality.
Rahul - your frank feedback only makes me think why I didn't even look into this before. Better late than never, I guess. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittycat View Post
As a rule, I change my tyres if its worn out to the indicators. Or if its more than 5 years old.
I will also make this a rule for myself too going forward.

I will update shortly with details once I get the replacement completed.
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks