Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 13:29   #241
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

I drive a Skoda Rapid on 195/55/16 Goodyear assurance triplemax tyres since 2018, it has run almost 38k. Braking has been average, Mileage decent, slightly Bumpy and Noisy(My comparison to Michelin 3ST 195/60/15 in my MY2013 I20). Regular alignment, balancing and rotations were done every 7.5-10k kms. During a recent drive I hit a pot hole at about 60kph. I knew it wou)ld cause some damage, as expected my FRH tyre got a bulge and looses air slowly.

My earlier idea was to change all 4 tyres at 40k during the alignment/balancing schedule. But this has accelerated the process. My options are
1.Buy one GY assurance and buy three more after couple of thousands of Kms.
2.Change all 4 to GY assurance Dealer price 7.2k per piece, Amazon 5.5k per piece.
3.Change all 4 to Continental UC6 Dealer price 7.5k per piece, Amazon 7.2k per piece.
4.Change all 4 to Michelin 4ST Dealer price 8.8k per piece, Amazon 8.2k per piece.

Dealer has agreed for free alignment but balancing extra. What would be the best course of action? I am not price conscious but value conscious. Kindly guide.

Last edited by aadya : 30th March 2022 at 13:33. Reason: additional info
Old 10th April 2022, 19:31   #242

I see some cracks on my jeep compass' one of the tyres. Is this dry rotting? Is it ok to drive with this condition? Lot of highways runs are currently planned. Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220410_160916__02.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2022 at 13:20. Reason: advice > advise
Old 12th April 2022, 08:36   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass_ltd+ View Post
I see some cracks on my jeep compass' one of the tyres. Is this dry rotting? Is it ok to drive with this condition? Lot of highways runs are currently planned. Please advice.
No, it is not dry rotting imo.

Does tyre manufacturers regularly recommend tyre replacement of a socalled 'dry rot' but normal functioning tyres?
Old 6th May 2022, 19:08   #244

Hi,

I have a VW Ameo DSG (purchased in 2018) which has clocked only around 18.5K kms. Had given it recently for ABS replacement when the service advisor noted minor cracks on the corners of the front tyres alone (rear tyres looked fine) and suggested replacement at the earliest. It has Apollo Alnac 195/55/R16 tyres. The vehicle is also under extended warranty.

My query is does replacing tyres (even with the stock specs) from outside the authorised service center void the warranty? VW seems to have some strict warranty processes and worried about voiding it. Could someone please share your thoughts on replacing tyres for VW cars during the warranty period?

Below are the pictures of the front tyres. The cracks seem more pronounced mainly near the treads. Could someone please share their thoughts if it is safe to drive with this condition. Have a highway journey planned in 2 weeks.

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080616.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080624.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080639.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080748.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080755.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220507_080817.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2022 at 19:10. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 11th July 2022, 18:10   #245
Senior - BHPian

Just checked today - the tyres on one of the cars is 12 years old Made in 2010! The tyres has done 30k KM, Should we change these tyres? I dont see any cracks or damage on them and they still have plenty of life left.
Old 11th July 2022, 19:35   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Just checked today - the tyres on one of the cars is 12 years old Made in 2010! The tyres has done 30k KM, Should we change these tyres? I dont see any cracks or damage on them and they still have plenty of life left.
12 years? You must change ASAP. Please do not rely on the external appearance of the tyres that old. You may have some deadly cracks and could be very dangerous.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 19:58   #247
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would urge both of you to change your tyres immediately. And please dont take short cuts. Change all four. If you have an equally old or damaged 5th (spare) then please change that one as well.

These may seem like minor cracks but it isnt a good idea driving at highway speeds with these.

VW cannot void your warranty if you change your tyres outside. The warranty is for the mechanicals of the car and as long as you have the tyres changed, balanced and aligned at a proper tyre establishment youre good to go.

Ref the tyres manufactured in 2010 while everything may seem fine, the fact is the tyres would have hardened considerably having been exposed to air and weather and rain and sun for 12 years. This detracts considerably from thisr efficiency in terms of grip, cornering, braking and overall safety. These are definitely no longer safe and hence need to be changed immediately.

Irrespective of the usage patterns and mileage done, tyres need to be replaced every 5-6 years for best results. And they need to be balanced, rotated and aligned every 5000kms in order to ensure even wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkattar View Post
Hi,
minor cracks on the corners of the front tyres alone

My query is does replacing tyres (even with the stock specs) from outside the authorised service center void the warranty?

Below are the pictures of the front tyres. The cracks seem more pronounced mainly near the treads.
Quote:
Just checked today - the tyres on one of the cars is 12 years old Made in 2010! The tyres has done 30k KM, Should we change these tyres? Ie left.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 20:27   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would urge both of you to change your tyres immediately. And please dont take short cuts. Change all four. If you have an equally old or damaged 5th (spare) then please change that one as well.

These may seem like minor cracks but it isnt a good idea driving at highway speeds with these.

VW cannot void your warranty if you change your tyres outside. The warranty is for the mechanicals of the car and as long as you have the tyres changed, balanced and aligned at a proper tyre establishment youre good to go.
Thanks shakar.balan. Had infact changed all the 4 tyres with the same make and model in the month of May, a day before my highway travel. First was having remorse but later realized it to be a good decision as I had travelled on some pathetic roads a few days later.
Old 12th July 2022, 13:50   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
12 years? You must change ASAP. Please do not rely on the external appearance of the tyres that old. You may have some deadly cracks and could be very dangerous.
Yup just saw them - all 3 tyres are 2010 - Car was registered in 2011 I can see small cracks on the side wall, Can I use these tyres on another car for city use ?
Old 12th July 2022, 14:01   #250
BANNED

Short answer.
No.
Because this is just being penny wise and safety foolish. You really cant be this reluctant to chuck these 12 year old tyres out.
Haven’t you read all the various threads on the topic of tyres on this very forum?

Quote:
Yup just saw them - all 3 tyres are 2010 - Car was registered in 2011 I can see small cracks on the side wall, Can I use these tyres on another car for city use ?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:18   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't even think of it. I will go for all 5 tyre replacement if I were you. Crack in tyre = time bomb. It does not matter if it is same or other car.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 12th July 2022 at 15:20.
Old 12th July 2022, 23:56   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Short answer.
No.
ut.
Haven’t you read all the various threads on the topic of tyres on this very forum?
I will let the pictures of the tyres to do the talking! : I don't even think these will last as a tyre seats

I guess this car of mine have the worst set of tyres on this thread?
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-12years.jpg  

Old 13th July 2022, 07:59   #253
BANNED

Just change them please. Even looking at them is unpleasant.

Quote:
I will let the pictures of the tyres to do the talking! : I don't even think these will last as a tyre seats

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 08:03   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you're gonna crawl in Bangalore traffic, it might be ok.

But a strict no for the highways and even bad roads in the city- those old tires are a liability.

Let me put it like this- if there are so many cracks on the tires, the steel ply, which is usually insulated from the elements, may have rusted if it's not an alloy. That's the risk you are dealing with apart from sub-optimal rubber.
Old 13th July 2022, 12:36   #255
BHPian

Quote:
FYI, 10 years is the absolute maximum for any passenger car tyres, and it needs to be replaced after that period regardless of the remaining tread depth. Linking a blog post by Michelin to this effect.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tips-an...s%20as%20well.

British MOT tests will also disqualify any vehicle with tyres older than 10 years of its manufacturing date, with or without cracks.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks