Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:28   #16
BHPian

Re: What to do with spare tyre while replacing all other four worn tyres?

I have the exact opposite problem!

My regular tyres are doing good but my spare tyre has developed a bulge (gone out of shape).

I think my habit is filing in 34 PSI instead of the recommended 30PSI for the spare tyre has resulted in this problem

My regular tyres, MRF ZVTS, have about 25% life left after 26000 kms. I have never done any tyre rotation before.

Now I wondering whether I should just replace the spare tyre or buy 4 new tyres and retain one of my good tyres as a spare?
Old 24th April 2011, 12:11   #17
BHPian

Bought 4 BRIDGESTONE Turranza ER-60s and retained one of the old tyres as a spare.
Old 25th June 2016, 16:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If it's not too late, I would suggest you keep that 4.5 yr old tyre as a spare itself. It will last for another 2-3 years as a spare without issues. Dont watse money buying a 5th new tyre. You will also get a substantially lower value for the 4.5 yr old tyre.
Wanted to get an expert opinion on this: I have an eight month old Polo which has fifteen inch steel wheels and a fourteen inch steel spare (unused so far).

Does it make sense to swap the spare wheel and tyre now for a fifteen incher and then continue with periodic tyre rotations or leave the setup as it is and discard an unused spare with every alternate tyre change?

I'm not sure what the cost of the swap would be but I'm wondering if it gets offset by the fact that you get 25% more life out of each set of tyres.
Old 25th June 2016, 17:19   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Wanted to get an expert opinion on this: I have an eight month old Polo which has fifteen inch steel wheels and a fourteen inch steel spare (unused so far).
Did the new car come with a 14 inch spare ?
Check the manufacturing week - it should usually be about 2 weeks to a month prior to your car's manufacturing month. If that's the case, I suggest you leave it as is since it's under 1 year old now, and use that strictly as a spare when you have a flat tyre.
As for rotation, continue with 4 tyre rotation with the other 15 inch wheels/tyres.

When you replace your 15 inch tyres at 40-50k Km or around the 4/5 year mark, consider getting a new 15 inch wheel + a new 15 inch spare tyre and from that point you have the option of 5 tyre rotation.

If the 14 inch spare tyre is in good condition and does not have cuts, ruptures, sidewall cracks, etc you can even consider holding on to it for another year or so at that point.

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2016 at 17:22.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 17:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When you replace your 15 inch tyres at 40-50k Km or around the 4 year mark, consider getting a 15 inch wheel + a 15 inch spare tyre and from that point you have the option of 5 tyre rotation.
If the 14 inch spare tyre is in good condition and does not have cuts, ruptures, sidewall cracks, etc you can even consider holding on to it for another year or so.
Thank you for the reply. Yep, new Polos come with a smaller diameter spare and you're right, the manufacturing date is slightly older than the car itself.

If you're recommending I change to a 15 inch spare eventually, will I not get a better selling price for the 14 inch wheel + tyre if I sell it now since it is (relatively) new? Or are you saying that eight months is already too late to get a good price and it therefore makes more sense to wait till it needs to be discarded and replace it at that point?
Old 25th June 2016, 18:24   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you're recommending I change to a 15 inch spare eventually, will I not get a better selling price for the 14 inch wheel + tyre if I sell it now since it is (relatively) new? Or are you saying that eight months is already too late to get a good price and it therefore makes more sense to wait till it needs to be discarded and replace it at that point?
Yes, from what I know it will not fetch you much so better to hold on to it till such time when you will be replacing the tyres.
But don't take my word for it, do ask around and if you do get a good deal it will be a good idea to get a 15 incher now.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Does it make sense to swap the spare wheel and tyre now for a fifteen incher and then continue with periodic tyre rotations or leave the setup as it is and discard an unused spare with every alternate tyre change?

I'm not sure what the cost of the swap would be but I'm wondering if it gets offset by the fact that you get 25% more life out of each set of tyres.
I cant say anything more than what has already been said. It's your choice.

Personally, I would just let it be and use just the 4 for rotation leaving the 14" in the boot.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 17:45   #23
BHPian

My Verna has done about 15000 KM on the odo and all this while I have been using the four tyres only and spare has remained untouched.
Just came back from Wheel alignment and balancing along with rotation of four wheels but not sure if I should get the spare tyre (which is not alloy rim ) swapped with one of the four rims tyre and keep this activity of swapping tyres every 5000 KM or should I just continue as it is since 15000 KM is already finished (i.e. half life) and keep spare tyre as it is ?
Nikhilb2008 It was an excellent experience as usual at your place

Most Viewed