Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2006, 22:21   #1
BANNED

Alloys for Swift ??

Hey, I too have finally gotten onto the swift band wagon and booked a Red Swift Vxi w/o ABS though !! Lot of you might say to go in for the ABS but I think its better to spend that 25K on modding it . Anyways I have been going thru the swift tyre upgrade posts as well as alloys for swift posts but am TOTALLY CONFUSED .. with sizes , profiles m etc . I know what I want but I need the tyre Gurus to tell me what size alloys with what tyres wud do gud for me. Also shud I change the alloys straight away or wait for th eoriginal set of rubber to wear out and then go for the alloys and tyres or what ....

I know I want the following rims and in the same color but pls help me with exact size ... My needs are as earlier. Loads of driving -- mix of highways and dirts !! So not the ultra thin tyres or the extra broad tyres and guys pls don't give me the two set of tyres theory as I'm cash strapped right now .

I have 2 weeks to decide as that is when I will get delivery !!!

This is what I want ....

Tyre gurus ..pls advice !!

Cheers
Old 16th January 2006, 23:52   #2
BHPian

looks great buddy...
Old 16th January 2006, 23:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Though i'm no tyre expert....

Looking at your needs the best tyre upgrade for swift is 195/60-15 which will give u great handling and decent ride quality too...

Its a 17" rim in the pic....for that u got to get 205/40-17 tyres but it wont help you in the dirt driving at all...
I presume u will go for GIIIs as your palio...
Old 17th January 2006, 00:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hi Khaadu considering the fact that you will be off roading on gravel quite a lot I would suggest you to go for alloys specific for gravel something like this --> http://www.enkei.co.jp/en/p_detail_esg.html

Your disc brake is protected thoroughly and in my opinion these alloys should quite serve the purpose.
Old 17th January 2006, 00:44   #5
BHPian

well as far as my knowledge about tyre are concerned all i can say is
CONGRATS for swift and wait for gurus to answer
bty am sure u must have seen modified swift by nft deisgns i like that wt u say??
Old 17th January 2006, 12:48   #6
BHPian

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Calculate your stock tyres with tyres you are planning to buy.

Best option for 15" is 195/60/15,
Tyres - Go for Bridgestone Potenza G3's
or Goodyear.

Michelin Cerits is a good buy, but pretty expensive more than 4.5k

Do post the pics once you upgrade.
Happy Riding

Cheers,

Old 18th January 2006, 00:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion will be to stick to 185/65 R15 tyres...you can try Goodyears (I have 185/65 R 14 Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 on my Baleno and while the grip is very good, the FE I get is between 12-13 kmpl in City driving in hyd with Ac on most of the time). the NCT% also come as OR on the octavia, mondeo and mercs though in different sizzes.
anything higher, and you will end up taxing the 87 bhp engine a bit too much..that means a lower pickup and lower top speed..a bit lower FE too
...you will also have a harsher ride. too wide a tyre will also pick up lot of dirt and mud and literally sandblast your arches and part of rest of the body depending on how wide the tyre is...you doen want to get down from you car to find that your trousers are soiled from teh mud that the "extra wide" tyre you had bought up and deposited on your door frame sill...
If you want a still smoother ride, stick to the 14" rim with 185/70 R 14...I would again suggest goodyear if availabe in this size too..
195/60 will reduce your GC by about 3.5 mm compared to the 185/65 option and also provide a harsher ride. I am not sure if you will require anyting more than 185/65 R 15 (better looks with a 15" rim) or 185/70 R 14( better ride..but slightly worse off looks due to a smaller rim) as far as stopping power goes in the car...if they are good for the Baleno...should be good enuf for the swift too..which has similar weight but slightly less power.

As for your question on change..I would suggest that you go in for a tyre change straight off when you purchanse the car...talk to a few tyrewallahs in your city and you will get a good exchange deal for the original set (I got about 1600 Rs / tyre for my baleno 165/80 R 13 Bridgestones.for rim though I got only Rs 100/rim). Ask teh tyrewallah as to which brand of tyres (generally bridgestones have highest exchange value because to high mileage) he will provide the best value for and insist on those tyres when you get the vehicle from maruti.
Go in for tubeless tyres of course...there is a lot of stuff on tyres on this site and you will just need to use the "search feature".

also try http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
and http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
these will tell you something about tyres...remember widest is not the best...even if it looks the best.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 18th January 2006 at 00:54.
Old 18th January 2006, 10:43   #8
BANNED

Buffetfan, That was a nice detailed simple way to answer my question . Thanx .. I'm gonna go and speak with my tyre wallah this afternoon and lets see what he suggests. 185/70 R15 , is that a gud option for me or not ??

The main thing is about the alloys, I want the alloys that r in the pic but in 15", I'm sure they come in that size as well. CAn someone provide me details as to where cud I get those alloys from ?? Any city as long as I can get them and with red checknuts ,, i want these and only these.

Cheers
Old 18th January 2006, 11:14   #9
BANNED

Hi Khaddu75,

Would advise you to go in for 195/65/14 Yokohoma A539 tyres. They are the ultimate for your requirements. I think they cost around 3k each. They offer amazing grip. The only low point is they will last approx 30-35k max small price for grip and ride quality.

Check this link out for more details.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 18th January 2006 at 11:17.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
185/70 R15 , is that a gud option for me or not ??
NO! 185/65 R15 is the optimum upsize.Try to double check the upsize before going for the purchase. U can't afford to make the mistake like a bhpian who has used 205/60/15 on his swift and lost his warranty, suspension,...

Quote:
Would advise you to go in for 195/65/14 Yokohoma A539 tyres. They are the ultimate for your requirements. I think they cost around 3k each. They offer amazing grip. The only low point is they will last approx 30-35k max small price for grip and ride quality.
Now, close ur eyes and get these tyres.

Last edited by nitrous : 18th January 2006 at 11:29.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:30   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi Khaddu75,

Check this link out for more details.

Viper
Hey, Which link shud I check out ... think u forgot to post the link !! Also any idea as to where cud I get the alloys from and will I get this pattern in 14" ?And isn't 65 too low for my requirements ..

Cheers
Old 18th January 2006, 11:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan

As for your question on change..I would suggest that you go in for a tyre change straight off when you purchanse the car...talk to a few tyrewallahs in your city and you will get a good exchange deal for the original set (I got about 1600 Rs / tyre for my baleno 165/80 R 13 Bridgestones.for rim though I got only Rs 100/rim). Ask teh tyrewallah as to which brand of tyres (generally bridgestones have highest exchange value because to high mileage) he will provide the best value for and insist on those tyres when you get the vehicle from maruti.
Go in for tubeless tyres of course...there is a lot of stuff on tyres on this site and you will just need to use the "search feature".

also try http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
and http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
these will tell you something about tyres...remember widest is not the best...even if it looks the best.
Swift VXI / LXI ,In Blore the exchange deal offered for the tires are about Rs800 per piece. This is also due to the fact that Swift is relatively a newer car on road. Spoke to a couple of guys for exchange but all seemed to offer almost the same price.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:53   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, Which link shud I check out ... think u forgot to post the link !! Also any idea as to where cud I get the alloys from and will I get this pattern in 14" ?And isn't 65 too low for my requirements ..

Cheers

Hi,

Sorry forgot to attach the link. Will have to inquire on the alloys give me a days time. 65 profile is ok for your use no issues.

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_52...wsarticle.html

Viper
Old 18th January 2006, 12:10   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

Sorry forgot to attach the link. Will have to inquire on the alloys give me a days time. 65 profile is ok for your use no issues.

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_52...wsarticle.html

Viper
Hey, Thats cool, pls check and see if u can get these alloys in 14" and for how much .

Cheers
Old 19th January 2006, 02:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75

Cheers
no, 65 is not too low on your requirements...the difference between 185/65 and 185/70 ride quality will be marginal at best. ( I am saying this since some of my friends who have the original 165/80 R 13 Bridgestones on their baleno's tell me that my 185/65 R 14 provide a better ride ...now I am not inclined to believe them but maybe the difference is tube type and tubeless tyres!!
maruti is generally not too fussy about these things...of counse they seem to be very fussy about electricals though....when I bought the baleno it came with only 165/80 R 13 (they recently started 185/65 r 14 in Vxi) but they still changed my front strut once because of a suspected clunk slunk sound...

so pick your choice..185/65 R 15 or 185/70 R 14 (this is OEM size on swift Zxi). of course go to 195 if you want or even further... ..since you drive on dirt roads too...I assume that ride comfort is on your list of priorities...a wider tyre also picks up more irregularities from the road...and hence provides a bumpier ride :-)...of course then the grip also improves consequentially because of a wider contact patch...especially while cornering.
Generally, if you need to drive in an area where you anticipate to many puncturesc / tyre cuts...dont by directional tyres... (directional tyres are supposed to rotate in only one direction..so left side remains on left for ever til you flip the tyre around on the rim)
the goodyears I suggested are not directional....the yokohomas do not seem directional too and there seem to be a few good reviews on teh web on them...BTW..whateve you purchase...get a warranty on the tyre...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 19th January 2006 at 02:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks