Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th December 2019, 17:47   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming

These micro cracks are a result of exposure to hard water. The salt in the water remains after water evaporates post washing and cleaning. There is no structural impact of these tiny cracks as its only the clearcoat being effected.

Machined alloys can be restored with re machining in a lathe or CNC, you can hunt around for a wheel repair shop. I would suggest you visit them once, also note that wheels of larger sizes may not fit in the machine or they may have to make a template to remachine your wheel. In that case the initial cost of template would be better to divide over all 4 wheels of your car. A wheel repair or body shop person can also sand the clear coat off in those cracked areas and respray the entire wheel with clear coat.

Post the machining the wheel would need to be clear coated and polished then would be back to new.Also ensure that you get a regular detailing done once in 6 months to avoid the corrosive salt build up.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 17th December 2019 at 17:50.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 20:56   #227

I faced similar issues with my BMW 520d. At about 2 years into the ownership, I observed that the alloys were showing signs of corrosion underneath the clear coat. This was on all 4 wheels at around the same location, near the BMW logo. The issue did not appears to be severe as I could not pick up the defect from a distance. But in a couple of months, the size of these imperfections started to grow. So, I took this up with BMW dealership in Hyderabad. After a lot of to and fro, BMW replaced all 4 alloy wheels under warranty. Needless to say that my 5 year extended warranty paid for itself as BMW honored this under a warranty claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-1.jpeg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-2.jpeg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-3.jpeg  

Old 31st December 2019, 00:17   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: GLS 400 Quality Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
I purchased a GLS400 at the end of 2017 and have driven the car for around 8000 km only. One day randomly some cracks appeared on the rims around the hub area.
Interestingly, saw a white GLS the other night next to me in traffic, and while glancing at the massive rims noticed some scratches / discoloration around the hub area.
Seems it may not be a one off case.

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-img_20191228_231336.jpg
Old 31st December 2019, 02:09   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
These micro cracks are a result of exposure to hard water. The salt in the water remains after water evaporates post washing and cleaning. There is no structural impact of these tiny cracks as its only the clearcoat being effected.

Machined alloys can be restored with re machining in a lathe or CNC, you can hunt around for a wheel repair shop. I would suggest you visit them once, also note that wheels of larger sizes may not fit in the machine or they may have to make a template to remachine your wheel. In that case the initial cost of template would be better to divide over all 4 wheels of your car. A wheel repair or body shop person can also sand the clear coat off in those cracked areas and respray the entire wheel with clear coat.

Post the machining the wheel would need to be clear coated and polished then would be back to new.Also ensure that you get a regular detailing done once in 6 months to avoid the corrosive salt build up.
Hi, any good shop in Bangalore who does this job really really well?
Old 19th January 2020, 22:21   #230
BHPian

Well if anyone is following my GLS400 case, after a lot of convincing I got all 4 rims changed! Guess that's a problem solved. On the other hand the dealer wants me to purchase an extended warranty and it costs 7 lakhs for 2 years That is just for warranty, no service etc included.
yash2424 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed