Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 01:29   #151
BHPian

Re: Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming

Hi, Can someone recommend workshops other than New Mars for this job in hyderabad?
Old 24th October 2013, 13:11   #152
BHPian

Hi All,

I want to change the looks of my car(Fluidic Verna - 2012, running on stock tyrs and 16 inch alloys), since i am bored with the stock look.
I am thinking of getting the alloys color changed to something like gun metal finish(glossy).

Can you please suggest if it is advisable to paint the alloys or do i have to consider something like powder coating or something?
What would be the duability in long term use.

Also, if you could suggest any place to get this done in NCR .

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 24th October 2013, 13:19   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hi All,

I want to change the looks of my car(Fluidic Verna - 2012, running on stock tyrs and 16 inch alloys), since i am bored with the stock look.
I am thinking of getting the alloys color changed to something like gun metal finish(glossy).

Can you please suggest if it is advisable to paint the alloys or do i have to consider something like powder coating or something?

Powder coating is definitely more durable than painting. But even painting if done properly should not cause you any problems. One more thing about powder coating is that it has limited colour range and hence I'm not sure if gun metal finish is available in powder coating.

Edit: Good news, gun metal powder is available, not sure about in India though.

http://www.colorpowder.com/color.html

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th October 2013 at 13:30.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 16:00   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Hey did you get your alloys repainted/powder coated?
I too am interested in the same.

Please telme if you got to know any good place for gun metal powder coating on your alloys?
Old 18th March 2014, 09:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey did you get your alloys repainted/powder coated?
I too am interested in the same.

Please telme if you got to know any good place for gun metal powder coating on your alloys?
Nope, I did not take the plunge. Painting alloys did not look like a durable option to me and I could not come accross powder coating vendors. I also understand that power coating is a little expensive, I thought in that case I will trade in these alloys and get some new ones in the color i want.
But, due to lack of vitamin M, that plan also went on hold.
revved_up is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 15:44   #156
Team-BHP Support

Came across this website of a Mumbai based company called OnlyMetals specializing in metal coatings:

http://in.shop.88db.com/onlymetals/gallery

Name:  10D73F5A7E624CA290A18CB5C92F17CA.png
Views: 8546
Size:  540.0 KB

Name:  B699E01DB2414E20B10E82773860F347.png
Views: 8471
Size:  235.1 KB

cya
R
Old 27th May 2014, 17:10   #157
BHPian

Pardon me if my question is absurd. But I have always wanted to ask somebody about this.

Can alloys be wrapped?
Old 27th May 2014, 17:52   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I did not take the plunge. Painting alloys did not look like a durable option to me and I could not come accross powder coating vendors. I also understand that power coating is a little expensive, I thought in that case I will trade in these alloys and get some new ones in the color i want.
But, due to lack of vitamin M, that plan also went on hold.
There are a few powder coating units based out of Okhla Industrial Area and other places elsewhere in Delhi. Powder coating is not an expensive affair, if dealing in decent volumes, however, getting five wheels powder coated would only be substantially more.

Consider this, for instance you need a certain matte black on your wheels, the vendor would have to procure the powder of that finish in the least metric weight, which would otherwise be sufficient for around 30-40 wheels, but would be used only for 5 wheels. Rest of the powder becomes redundant. Inspite of considering all these factors, I doubt your 5 wheels would cost you more Rs. 1500/-.

Also consider these few more factors;

1.) Not all powder coating finishes are scratch resistant. You would have to use a touch up spray paint can and apply on the affected areas.

2.) Powder coating finish, fresh out of factory looks great, if maintained it still looks the same, however the powder is greatly affected by ultraviolet radiations, exposure to which causes it to fade over time. You would then have to use a spray paint can to touch it up which won't be as durable or get it repainted.

3.) Process of re-powder coating involves dipping the item into acid or painting it on top of the already painted surface. In the former case, ferrous items withstand the affect of acid but I strongly believe dipping alloys into the acid solution shouldn't be a good idea, it might cause blisters (pitting) on the surface. In the latter case, with the earlier coat still existent, finish won't be as uniform, although will still look good.

4.) Post application of powder coat, items are subjected to heat in a furnace at around 180-190 degree centigrade. You won't even get to know how your alloys are taking up that much stress and what abnormality it must have caused in the structure.

5.) Powder coating is available in various shades, different hues in Green-Wood-brown-black-red.... any color you might think of. I got some pink color powder kept with me which is of no use now to me, if you are interested in having your wheels painted pink, you know who to get in touch with

So, be cautious, read up reviews. Folks in the US are crazy enough to go any lengths to pimp up their cars, their reviews online could come in handy. All this is my knowledge which I shared.

If all this is factually incorrect, do let us know. I would be glad to have your wheels powder coated at my unit, in any case I keep hell occupied with pending deliveries that I have never even tried getting my steel wheels powder coated. However, if you are interested, I could recommend you a few good powder coating units in Okhla area who have some good quality work. Let me know.

P.S. Members and moderators, I'm not trying to solicit or advertise these units, just sharing my knowledge. So folks don't jump to any conclusions.
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 16:02   #159
BHPian

Re: Strange infection... spreadin on the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Need some help identifying and clearing up this... fungus... if I may call it so.

I have this strange whitish thing spreading on my rides alloys, and it seems to be spreading. I tired scraping, but then that isnt working. Infact if you feel it with your fingers, you wont feel anything different, they seems gel with the wheels.
Hi Spinner
Sorry to bring up the old issue. I too have similar issues on my Safari alloys. I did paint later on (DIY) can paint which gave a ok finish. Now since i saw your thread, thought of seeking your help as to how you could get this corrected.
Please share the contacts in B'lore / cost etc. if you did some thing on it. Sharing the pictures (Before painting)
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-dsc00071.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2014 at 19:16. Reason: Fixing un-closed quote tag.
Old 6th June 2014, 19:19   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Can alloys be wrapped?
I'm sure its possible, but the issue is that wraps are single large vinyl sheets. Though they have some amount of stretchability, I'd imagine the complex shape of alloys makes it almost impossible to cover the font face and spoke edges completely with a single sheet. This would also largely depend on the type of alloy design.

cya
R
Old 7th June 2014, 08:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
...You won't even get to know how your alloys are taking up that much stress and what abnormality it must have caused in the structure...
Thanks for sharing this info. So it seems that getting the stock alloys painted rather than powder coated is a safer bet.
Do you know any good alloy designer painter in NCR?
I am afraid that the normal paint garages won't be able to do justice to the fit & finish than an alloy demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm sure its possible, but the issue is that wraps are single large vinyl sheets. Though they have some amount of stretchability, I'd imagine the complex shape of alloys makes it almost impossible to cover the font face and spoke edges completely with a single sheet. This would also largely depend on the type of alloy design.

cya
R
Apart from that will the vinyl sheets be able to take the stress that the wheels are subjected to?
Old 7th June 2014, 10:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Thanks for sharing this info. So it seems that getting the stock alloys painted rather than powder coated is a safer bet.
Do you know any good alloy designer painter in NCR?
I am afraid that the normal paint garages won't be able to do justice to the fit & finish than an alloy demands.
ank.nsit,

Give me sometime and I'l find out few people who have expertise in spray paint. Meanwhile, have you considered getting your alloys electroplated? In Chrome, black (Zinc), Silver.
Old 7th June 2014, 13:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
ank.nsit,

Give me sometime and I'l find out few people who have expertise in spray paint. Meanwhile, have you considered getting your alloys electroplated? In Chrome, black (Zinc), Silver.
I never knew about this option.
Can you tell me the costs for the same? Also, is electroplating better than painting? Also, I guess electroplating would involve complete alloys getting same color while painting would provide an option of getting selective parts painted.
Old 8th June 2014, 15:44   #164
BHPian

Re: Strange infection... spreadin on the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
.. I too have similar issues on my Safari alloys.
...Please share the contacts in B'lore / cost etc.
That is the exact same issue which I have; unfortunately I didn't do anything about it. I did enquire at a couple of garages; but no one was very keen. And they kept repeating 'No guarantee, can peel off'

So its left as is; I just use a good tooth brush to clean that area regularly.

Edit: Plasti dip is quite popular these days; though most of documented projects are making the wheels black, I do see sliver Pasti dip spray cans on online stores. May be Plasti dip + lacquer can be worth the effort. Not sure about the effect of heat on this combination.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 8th June 2014 at 15:51. Reason: Note on Plasti Dip
Old 9th June 2014, 10:36   #165
BHPian

I got some contacts in Mysore to get the wheels buffed. But since my Alloys were already painted, i had to remove the paint.
To get away with the process of removing all the wheels in one go, going to tyre shop to get the tires removed, thought of doing a DIY.

1. Purchased a paint remover Liquid - Rs 70 for 1/2 liter - Name Hitech paint remover.
2. Applied it on the spare wheel on test basis, did not harm the tire, rims, so proceeded.
3. The alloy had several layers of paint. The one i had applied from can paint came off very quickly & seeing the progress i started on all the wheels.
4. Got terribly jammed as the second layer had several layers of "putty" & i had to spend all sat/sunday to remove by sanding as the paint remover did little help.
5. Still has some finishing work to do. But the alloys look good in the original condition.
6. Buffing guy has promised to do it at my home on the Alloys during coming saturday, will post the pictures soon.

Caution : Do protect your hand, there was no warning mentioned on the can, i used waste cloth & applied it from bare hand / used disposable gloves for some times. But the next day observed that my entire hand had become very rough & several cracks which i have to do one more DIY...

But it was a nice learning. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-1.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-2.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-3.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-5.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-7.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-8.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-9.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-10.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-11.jpg  

Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks