sudharma’s Team-BHP Garage
1949 Sunbeam S-8 My old Bikes
Engine Specifications:
  • No. of Cylinders:- 2 (In-line)
  • Capacity:- 487 c.c (30 cu.in)
  • B.H.P:- 25 @ 5,800 RPM
  • Bore:- 70.0 mm (2.75 in.)
  • Stroke:- 63.5 mm (2.5 in.)
  • Comp. Ratio:- (6.5, 6.9, 7.2):(according to piston type)
Engine Misc.:
  • Cylinder liners:- Detachable Brivadium
  • Distributor:- Lucas AC 564
  • Dynamo:- 6v. Lucas MC 45L
  • Battery:- 6v. 16 AH
Turbocharger & Induction:
  • N/A
Fuel & Tuning:

Fuel:- Leaded Petrol
Carburettor:- Amal 276 DO/3A
Replaced by:- Stewarts Special - Amal 624

Exhaust:
  • Die-Cast Aluminium
Drivetrain:
  • Shaft Drive with Worm & Wheel
Weight reduction & transfer:
  • Dry Weight:- 405 lb.( 184 kg.)
Suspension, wheels & tires:
  • Front:- Telescopic Fork
  • Rear:- Plunger Type
  • Wheel (F):- 325 X 19
  • Wheel (R):- 400 X 18
  • Suspension:- Bonded Rubber mountings
Interior:
  • N/A
Exterior:
  • Black colour

S8_3 Years later_7.jpg

Click Thumbnail to Enlarge. Full Size Image Pages
My 1949 Sunbeam  S-8 S8_3 Years later_2.jpg S8_3 Years later_3.jpg S8_3 Years later_4.jpg S8_3 Years later_5.jpg S8_3 Years later_6.jpg S8_3 Years later_7.jpg S8_3 Years later_6.jpg
Gallery Statistics
Member: sudharma
Created: 15th August 2009 06:06
Last Modified: 13th October 2009 13:49
Views: 3289
Comments: 8

Comments
Author Comment Date
NinadJoshi Sudharma, that one made my day! Thanks for sharing.

The engine block on the S8 is out of this world. I'd pick this engine over Megan Fox any day.

How on earth did you restore the shaft drive transmission on her?!

I remember as a kid, my neighbor in Pune used to have a inline flat-twin shaft driven BMW and I've been a fan of this engine format ever since.

Great work!
22nd March 2012
ajay2233 Cool Bike.

The Jawa in the backdrop is also looking good.
10th May 2010
dman Superb bike... nicely restored....

i have seen one more sunbeam in Goa two years ago... rotting away .. i asked people around but got to know that the owner was in jail for some punishment... it was a green sunbeam .. it should be the same one Flotsam is talking about... Its still there.. i think it was in Mapsa.. in a small house..
8th December 2009
deutscheafrikar sudharma nice bike. Post something about it in the vintage section 7th December 2009
ron_9191 an absolute beauty!! you are so lucky to have it restored!!! I wish I could listen to the pipes. :-) 13th October 2009
flotsam Beautiful bike! Must have a lovely exhaust note! Reminds me of the green Sunbeam S7 I saw a few times in the 1980s in Goa. 13th September 2009
sudharma This bike did not come with the side indicatores, but had the battery. Also the horns were non standard, fitted by me after I assembled it back. But removed these after a few days after the pictures were taken, to keep the originality. Yes its a shaft driven machine. If you are coming to Bangalore, You are welcome to visit me. 21st August 2009
glomus123 Very well maintained bike. By the way, was this bike originally came with Battery and the side indicators? Just heard about this bike, never had a chance to see in flesh. Heard from my dad its Shaft-driven! 20th August 2009