Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 03:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
T
Bugatti this must be the one with Mallya on which the roof of a porch fell?
Cheers harit
Afraid not. The car pictured is a Type 35B, near the pinnacle of the Bugatti cars for me. One can only wish the car was still in the country. The car you refer to has been restored by Mallya, I was sent a picture of it a couple of years ago.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Wonderful picture of the owners son in the Bugatti. What a wonderful machine, it was on the road 6 months later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Bugatti this must be the one with Mallya on which the roof of a porch fell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Mr. Roni Khan's article in The Veteran & Vintage mag for Jan 1969 has this caption for the picture....

Wondering if the Bugatti with the kid is the ex-J.R.D. Tata car
Quote:
Afraid not. The car pictured is a Type 35B, near the pinnacle of the Bugatti cars for me. One can only wish the car was still in the country. The car you refer to has been restored by Mallya, I was sent a picture of it a couple of years ago.
Here is the Tata car - it could be the same from what little I can see, but just speculation. Faster can tell us more I hope.

Faster789's collection-00.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...ml#post2015747 (Bugattis in India!)

Travancore - the article you speak of sounds interesting - can you please share? Thanks.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 03:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

If anyone was wondering who the lady was that won the Aga Khan Trials Ladies' Trophy, 1906 (posted earlier)....here is the answer!

Faster789's collection-cama-wolseley.jpg

Unfortunately the TBHP watermark is absolutely in the wrong spot - Mrs. Cama, 5 H.P. Baby Wolseley

The complete caption is "Mrs. cama on her 5 h.p. Baby Wolseley on which she took part in the Aga Khan Trials from Poona to Satara and back, 145 miles, and won the Special Ladies' Trophy"

source: Motor-Car Journal 1906

Last edited by travancore : 7th May 2011 at 03:50.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 10:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Faster.

Was hoping you would add some info on the Bugatti Type 35B or even some more pictures.

Must have been an awsome car ! Who owned it and what happened to it.

Also wating for the next batch of pictures.
Old 8th May 2011, 20:42   #35
BHPian

Hi Faster,

great pics! thoroughly enjoyed looking at those. Would you by any chance have a date for when the pic of my RR Phantom II Continental (Jetha) was taken? That is a great pic with my parents in the car! Unfortunately I lost a large collection of photos that were cataloged in the last Mumbai Floods and would love to have a date associated with the pics I do have. Thanks in advance...
Old 8th May 2011, 20:55   #36
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to add some of the earlier superb posts by Faster789

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2282495

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2283836

Cheers

KPS
Old 11th May 2011, 19:45   #37
BHPian

Some more pictures. I'll let you guys label them this time. The picture of the Bugatti is on the way to junkyard to be scrapped if you can believe it. It was rescued thank God and then went abroad.

Faster789's collection-scan0031.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0032.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0033.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0034.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0070.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0071.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0072.jpg

Faster789's collection-scan0073.jpg

Faster789's collection-2.jpg

Faster789's collection-24.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 10:37   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more pictures. I'll let you guys label them this time. The picture of the Bugatti is on the way to junkyard to be scrapped if you can believe it. It was rescued thank God and then went abroad.
Faster you are a gem! Thanks once again so much for sharing these.

First picture is of course the Nizam Ghost. Packard below I do not know, possibly the Datia car? Or another Hyderabad car?

GJB 3320 is of course a Mk VI Bentley, possibly one with Baroda connections as the Baroda PIII was/is registered GJB 3319. Is it alive and well today?

WBC 2951 is the Vauxhall Hurlingham (?) of the Tagore family, (mbz180 on the forum is a member here will be thrilled to see this picture).

MC 2080 is a Swift, is it the same car that was pictured earlier by you? (that I assumed is the Mallya car today)

That Bugatti picture looks like a million bucks with the battlescars. It appears to be registered X 6117, a pre 1939 Bombay registration. Below the plate appears to be UW registration, possibly England? Glad to know the car was saved.

The last pictures appear to be of the awesome 8 litre Bentley of Roni Khan.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Faster you are a gem! Thanks once again so much for sharing these.

First picture is of course the Nizam Ghost. Packard below I do not know, possibly the Datia car? Or another Hyderabad car?

GJB 3320 is of course a Mk VI Bentley, possibly one with Baroda connections as the Baroda PIII was/is registered GJB 3319. Is it alive and well today?

WBC 2951 is the Vauxhall Hurlingham (?) of the Tagore family, (mbz180 on the forum is a member here will be thrilled to see this picture).

MC 2080 is a Swift, is it the same car that was pictured earlier by you? (that I assumed is the Mallya car today)

That Bugatti picture looks like a million bucks with the battlescars. It appears to be registered X 6117, a pre 1939 Bombay registration. Below the plate appears to be UW registration, possibly England? Glad to know the car was saved.

The last pictures appear to be of the awesome 8 litre Bentley of Roni Khan.
Yes, absolutely right Karl, I am thrilled! What a lovely photo and what a stunning car! It's the Vauxhall Hurlingham Sports that Harit had posted a photo of earlier. The young man next to the car doesn't seem to be from the family, maybe some one can can shed some light on that. Though from the stairs behind the car, the photo may have been taken in our erstwhile villa residence.

Thank you Faster for the wonderful picture, its made my day

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Perhaps the moderators, or someone could add my photographs and relevant debate from the links above to this thread, so they are all in one place.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

WOW what amazing pictures....is that Bugatt Type 37.

Was thsi car actually in India and who owned it.

Is the car in that cut picture in pieces also a Bugatti.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
WOW what amazing pictures....is that Bugatt Type 37.

Was thsi car actually in India and who owned it.

Is the car in that cut picture in pieces also a Bugatti.
Tata owned the Type 35.

The Type 44 is currently Mallya, ex-Khan and ex-Adenwalla. Pictured in Poona when it was put together one afternoon to get an idea of what we were dealing with.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Faster ....Some clarifications please.

In the first lot of your picture syou have a part restored Bugatti with wire wheels you said was a Type 35B.

The in the new lot ther is one Bugatti with the trademark stamped Bugatti wheels.

Are these two cars the same ??? They look different.

Also what si that half cut picture with a car in pieces.

None of thes cars looks like the Type 44
Old 12th May 2011, 18:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

So lets try and have some clarity on the Bugattis you posted -

You say the first picture you posted with the number 36 on the radiator is a Type 35. Also the Tata car is a Type 35 - can we assume they are the same car? The Tata car was at one point registered Y 1238. Also had wire wheels like your picture.

The other black and white picture you posted shows trademark Bugatti wheels - registered X 6117 - I assume this is another car altogether - who owned this in India initially?

One colour picture you posted of the junked car I suppose is the Mallya car - body seems to line up.

So in total you posted 3 seperate cars, right? Of which one remains in the country. Forgive my badgering, purely for academic interest.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So lets try and have some clarity on the Bugattis you posted -

You say the first picture you posted with the number 36 on the radiator is a Type 35. Also the Tata car is a Type 35 - can we assume they are the same car? The Tata car was at one point registered Y 1238. Also had wire wheels like your picture.

The other black and white picture you posted shows trademark Bugatti wheels - registered X 6117 - I assume this is another car altogether - who owned this in India initially?

One colour picture you posted of the junked car I suppose is the Mallya car - body seems to line up.

So in total you posted 3 seperate cars, right? Of which one remains in the country. Forgive my badgering, purely for academic interest.
Wasif, the car in pieces is the Type 44. That is for sure.

The Type 35 or 35s is something I cannot be certain of. What is certain is that Tata owned one and that has gone abroad, the picture of the new owner is above. I cannot be sure about the 2nd car, memory fails me and unlike a number of pictures here, I didn't take that particular picture. It is however, inherently unlikely that there were 2 x 35s in the country. Then again it is unlikely that Tata would have sent the car to the junkyard which is where the car was going in the second picture.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what is my favourite Indian car and my favourite photograph. Perhaps there were two, perhaps there was one. In any event, the picture of the 35 being driven to the junkyard is superb. It is my personal opinion that they are the same cars - I always ensured I have my statements backed with fact, but in this case it is purely my feeling.

Last edited by Faster789 : 12th May 2011 at 19:09.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed