Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 18:56   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Faster789's pictures as usual, never lack nostalgia or the WOW factor. THANKS!

BMX-3545; Hotchkiss saloon - I think this has been "chop topped" and is with Bhogilal, not the other Hotchkiss in these pictures. The wings, bonnet sides, radiator grille seem to have been retained. Or was this a combintion of two cars ? Maybe Karlos knows better after all!

MHK-126; R-R PII: This is the car currently in Udaipur (RSY-1). The car was bought from Indumati Raje of Kolhapur in Sept 1971, which may explain the MH-registration. (This is from a history of the car by Arvind Apte, who helped drive the car back from Kolhapur.)

What were the original colours of the Jetha P-II Continental ?

I believe the R-R SG Woody was a Raj Seth car at some point ?

Last edited by travancore : 6th May 2012 at 19:03.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 16:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Faster, you've done it again! Superb stuff, as always.
Thank you for the kind words Karl (and others), I've been trying to put together the pictures in electronic format but its a struggel. I haven't looked at these in many, many years. I've also had to weed out a number of shots taken in people's homes to protect their privacy.

Quote:
Could barely recognise the Bhogilal Hotchkiss (BMZ 2840) - was it still owned by Bhogilal at this point? Later it was Figoni-Falaschified
Yes, that particular reference did make me grin too. He was very much enamoured with the French coachbuilder. Good question though, I have the feeling that this was pre-B ownership - impossible to be sure. This was 1970/1971! Many of his cars would sit unmolested for years sometimes. I recall a discussion re the "flash" on one of the few "top drawer" cars in the vast collection - not an advocate of it!

FF was never my favourite coachbuilder, but I recall seeing a very lovely PII built for the Nepal Royal Family in Europe. I can't think of many/any other Rolls they built.

Quote:
Nice to see the large Hotchkiss saloon (BMX 3545) as well - can you tell us more about it? Ditto for BYF 1464 (Humber?) And where is the large Rolls MHK 126 today? Sorry for the barrage of questions.
Have lost track of the BYF car and the Rolls I am afraid. My knowledge is very backward and antiquated! I have little or no contact with the classic car scene today, given the lengths of time I spend abroad though I am still in touch with some of the cars that have stayed in the same hands. I'm sure you'll know which those are.
Faster789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 17:54   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
FF was never my favourite coachbuilder, but I recall seeing a very lovely PII built for the Nepal Royal Family in Europe. I can't think of many/any other Rolls they built.
You can see the 'Fony and Flashy' bodied Nepal car here (but I still like most of their work)

1932 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom II Continental Figoni Et Falaschi Pillarless Berline for sale: Anamera

It is rather classic, I recall reading that it was rebodied at some point, though early in its life.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:39   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

What were the original colours of the Jetha P-II Continental ?
The original colors of our P-II Continental were green and cream! with a green interior.
Ragtop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 21:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop

The original colors of our P-II Continental were green and cream! with a green interior.
Sage green and cream how English !
Old 9th May 2012, 10:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
GJY is indeed a Nawanagar Lanchester, but doubt it is part of Bhogilal collection. Where is it now, anyone?

WBB 4031 is not a Wolseley Hornet, but a Morris Six Tourer. A similar car attends Bombay events, UP registered, owned by Bhagats. I think another similar car is with Dilip De in Bombay.

MRZ 7000 is ex Mysore, then cricketer Apte who took it to the UK. He probably still has it there.

Definitely not a 500K behind the woody, probably a Daimler.
The picture of the Rolls - It is Mr. R.N. Seth's house. He had a Daimler DB18, but not sure if its the same one in the picture
Old 13th May 2012, 22:57   #82
BHPian

Some more shots, nice Jag amongst them...
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-img059.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img060.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img061.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img063.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img064.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img065.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img066.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img067.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img068.jpg  

Faster789's collection-img069.jpg  

Faster789 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 09:57   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Some more shots, nice Jag amongst them...
A friend has tried identifying them -

Quote:
1 and 2 are RR Silver Ghost chassis no 23TG ex Raja of Kalsia in R N Seth's garage. Still there now?
3 The same Daimler DB 18 at R N Seth's as in previous photos and films.
4 The same Packard 8 ex Charles Puttkamer now with Rajiv Kehr and restored
5 The same Mercedes 320 now in the Choudrie collection.
6 and 7 The same MG SA before outdoor storage destruction
8 Bhogilal's Bentley 3 1/2 litre B91DK
9 Jag SS100, now Jackie Shroff.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 13:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
A friend has tried identifying them -
The Kalsia Silver Ghost is still very much there, infact some engine work was being done on it recently, to get it started.

The DB18 went to Ranjit Mullick in late 80's

The Mercedes was earlier owned by Mr. Gyan Seth, before it went to Sudhir Chowdhrie. Infact, Mr. Choudhries first vintage acquision. MG SA also belonged to Mr. Gyan Seth, which went to someone down south.
Old 27th May 2012, 01:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

I was away for 3 weeks and was without comp/internet access. That was refreshing, office communication was via BlackBerry and telephone.
After returning, I checked the posts and found Faster's posts to be the best, bringing me to post here first.

Faster wanted to debate his pictures, not much came forth. Unfortunately there are few who know, those who do are not forth coming or are not members, it has become a bit difficult to join. Anyway, I will comment on the pictures in sequence, and maybe the mods (karlosdeville??) will insert the relevant pictures.
So here goes, post 66:

Ford Model A, probably Bhagvan Divesha's, now Solanki via Balbir Singh.

Austin 7's, maybe they can be traced from their registration nos.

This Austin 7 and the car with the Boa Constrictor Horn beat me.

This yellow tourer is a Chevy mid 1920's, was parked in Silver Arch on Nepean Sea Road, later shifted to Hotel President basement and then sold.

WBP 1833 is a Ford Model T owned by The Statesman newspaper of Kolkata. They had a magazine for the youth, JS (Junior Statesman) very popular in 1960's and beginning of 1970's, they shut it abruptly and unexpectedly. This car took part in rallies in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

WBB 4031 is a Morris 10/6, a rare 6 cylinder Morris of which there were 2 in Mumbai. This car is probably the one which Bhagat brings to rallies.

BMZ 2840 is a Hotchkiss. I have mentioned this car before, belonged to a navy guy Samson in Colaba, Pranlal and Dossa were trying for it and Pranlal got it and promptly falsified it. This car was white, then blue and then falsified.

BMX 3545 beats me, sorry.

GJD 9483 Lagonda was entered by Mr. Nath, now in Indore.

Next Austin no clue.

BYF 1464 is a Humber Limo. I met the owner during my very first vintage car hunt/travel in about 1978, she was lying in a bungalow on Cahun Road in Pune Camp area. According to the guy whom we met, this car was ex- Nepal and had a warped aluminium head, so she did not run properly. They also had a MG TC which they had just sold.

More in the next post.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 01:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

I decided to create separate posts to each of Faster's posts as I had too much desert, foamy vanilla shakes, and I failes after 3 attempts. Shorter posts make the task easier.

GJY 4763 is a Lanchester which I have spoken about in my banter with 9??928 some time ago. This magnificent car lived in Darshan Apartments on Mount Pleasant Road along with a Rolls. I have sen this car up close when she was stranded on NS Road. The round sticker on the windshield said Daimler Lanchester owners club. My friend Vohra knew that she was lying with a Rolls, and one day he saw the Rolls being taken in a truck. O have no idea where this car is today, and whether she was ever a Nawanagar car.

The Benley was an Apte car, now Pranlal. The Rolls was a Jetha car and remains one.

Bentley MRZ 7000 is a Bentley Mark VI tear drop ex Maharaja of Mysore, was with Apte who sent her to a brother in UK. One of our members claimed that his father owner her once!! After this greenish tinge she was in 2 tone silver.

The Lipton steam device was a vehicle which came all the way from UK on a world tour during the time of the hippy wave. These guys were met on the road by a Parsi gent from Pune, who promptly invited them to participate in the rally. This story was told to me by the Parsi gents daughter. I have myself seen this steamer chugging along marine drive. The guys were climbing all over the vehicle when it was in motion. At that time there were no difficulties in Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan, this thing was driven across the continents.

The black Rolls was in the custody of Arvind Apte, but she was entered and driven at that time by a new enthusiast who subsequently bought his own car and became a stalward in the vintage car scene. Travancore says the car was a Kohlapur car, my info was Sangli. Whatever, when our family shifter to Altamont Road, I could see Apte's 2 Bentleys, this Rolls and his Opel from home. In an another direction I could see the Ford A and Morris of Divecha, and Huthee Singh's Merc 190SL and Austin Healey.

The woody Rolls was a early 1920's Silver Ghost, she belonged to Vohra at one time and was lying at his home in Cuffe Parade. Vohra was close to Seth, Vohra's 12 cylinder Daimler was also with Seth. Both cars landed up in Indore. Originally this woody Rolls came from UP, has nothing to do with that Phantom from Asansol converted into a boat tail following a pattern of the Vijaynamgaram car which is in distress.
Old 27th May 2012, 02:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Fasters third set of pictures are quite later pictures, all have been commented on by Karls "friend".

I don't know anything about the Raja of Khalsia's Rolls. If it has engine troubles and has an aluminium head, there are no shortcuts to head replacement. Would be pleased to learn more about this car.
That MG SA went on the southern-eastern part of India.
The SS 100 was bought in Kolkata, and then moved to Delhi and Mumbai with the same owner till purchased by my actor buddy.

Some comments on replies and general comments:
Generally, Faster has covered two old events in Mumbai of around 1970 and 1973. The very first rally which I attended was this in 1970/71 at HP house opposite LIC, near the pump and Mantralaya. My neighbors dad Mr. H.. from Mumbai/Pune took us in his Merc 170V which was being used as a daily car, I clearly remember people asking him why did he not enter. The rally with the steamer was another one. The rally shown in the last pics was held at the Oberoi at Nariman point. These pictures cover atleast 3 events.

At one of the earliest rallies I ever attended, there were two Hotchkiss tourers present, and I believe that these were the Pranlal car and the Cama Ahmedabad car. I don't believe that the sedan was ever chopped, that car has just disappeared. I don't recollect it, now that she did exist lets try to find her story. I have an early picture of Pranlals Hotchkiss participating in a Delhi event again in the 1970's.

Faster, your pictures are great. You surely have more, I would love to see them and go back in a time machine to yonder and recall my experiences when I was just getting into the scene. Great, lets have some more

Cheers harit
Old 27th May 2012, 08:10   #88
BHPian

Hat's off .. to all you seniors for sharing such nice cars and information, trying to relate,l locate, and track these Jems of Cars. The information you have is vast, specially Karlos Baba, the youngest of them all.

And yes if you all can share and discuss the cars further by useing the particular cars picture, it will be very useful for us guys having not even 0.1 % knowledge, to relate and absorb the information, otherwise we are just lost in the vast pool of knowledge.

Thanks once again...

SHREERAM

Last edited by Shreeram : 27th May 2012 at 08:13. Reason: rephrase
Old 27th May 2012, 11:01   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
WBB 4031 is not a Wolseley Hornet, but a Morris Six Tourer. A similar car attends Bombay events, UP registered, owned by Bhagats. I think another similar car is with Dilip De in Bombay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
WBP 1833 is a Ford Model T owned by The Statesman newspaper of Kolkata. They had a magazine for the youth, JS (Junior Statesman) very popular in 1960's and beginning of 1970's, they shut it abruptly and unexpectedly. This car took part in rallies in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.

WBB 4031 is a Morris 10/6, a rare 6 cylinder Morris of which there were 2 in Mumbai. This car is probably the one which Bhagat brings to rallies.
Here is the same Model T at the 2012 Statesman in Calcutta

Faster789's collection-ford06.jpg

Here is Bhagat's Morris from a recent event

Faster789's collection-01.jpg
Faster789's collection-02.jpg

I doubt it is the same car. A friend who's been in the scene for decades did once tell me that back then there was a European lady driving a Morris convertible in Bombay, and intended to drive it back home. Wonder if it is the same, the lady does look foreign. Faster, do you recall?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 02:07   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Hat's off .. to all you seniors for sharing such nice cars and information, trying to relate,l locate, and track these Jems of Cars. The information you have is vast, specially Karlos Baba, the youngest of them all..... ..SHREERAM
It may have been a bit encouraging to me if you had mentioned me too. After Faster's pictures, hardly anyone had anything significant to add. Encouragement never goes waste.

To my posts above, I could clarify that Vohra bought that Silver Ghost woody from Mr. Seth, someone should ask him where it came from. Probably a state in UP. It was then sold to Sanghi, and either he used the engine in another Ghost, or he rebodied this car.

I remembered one more thing. The JS Ford T was filled with youngsters who played music as the car drove along, giving a picture of young groovy youthful guys.
The Rolls with the Lanchester was probably a Silver Ghost tourer, silver in colour, both cars owned by a lady. Her husband who had passed away was extremely fond of these cars. No further clues as yet.

As pointed out by Karl, that Morris is probably not Bhagats.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed