Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 19:10   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Found this reference in a book on Armstrong Siddeley.

Wondering if they are both the same car (Chassis 62756)!

Faster789's collection-india-armstrong-siddeley-faster-789-maybe-description.jpg

Faster789's collection-india-armstrong-siddeley-faster789.jpg

As always Faster, thanks for your magnificent photos
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 13:21   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

A reader from Germany has written in on seeing the images of the Thackersey Bentley.

Quote:
Dear Madam, dear Sir, the Bentley 3 1/2 Litre drophead coupé you show with registration APK 7157 on your website most presumably is Chassis-Number B24BN, re-bodied by French coachbuilder ANTEM (original coachwork had been a 4-door saloon by French coachbuilder Binder). The car was exported to India in 1942 and reportedly there was delivered to H.H. Maharaja of Talcher. With kind regards
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 18:37   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A reader from Germany has written in on seeing the images of the Thackersey Bentley.
I just noticed the medieval "Cross" hood ornament on APK-7157
Old 23rd July 2013, 02:25   #229
BHPian

I recently received an email from someone asking for a small update. I haven't really felt like doing this in a long time, but I thought to make an effort. I remembered a wonderful sequence I have not seen in 25 years and managed to find it. Some of you may remember that it was not always flatbed trucks and hydraulics. I am not sure I would follow the recommendation that resulted in the rather precarious set up of stones again though.

Faster789's collection-20130718_1.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130722_0.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130722_1.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130722_4.jpg

Last edited by Faster789 : 23rd July 2013 at 02:36.
Faster789 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:59   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
I recently received an email from someone asking for a small update. I haven't really felt like doing this in a long time, but I thought to make an effort. I remembered a wonderful sequence I have not seen in 25 years and managed to find it. Some of you may remember that it was not always flatbed trucks and hydraulics. I am not sure I would follow the recommendation that resulted in the rather precarious set up of stones again though.
Thanks is that a Studebaker or a Cadillac cannot figure the sign . MC registration is of which state . Interesting way to get a car down a truck and height creates for a Ramp

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:29   #231
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures and sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Thanks is that a Studebaker or a Cadillac cannot figure the sign . MC registration is of which state . Interesting way to get a car down a truck and height creates for a Ramp
Cheers
These pictures are definitely take in Karnataka. The lorry side has "Mysore State" and its registration is MYU (Chitradurga). Looking at the dress of the people this car was in Chitradurga or further north-west towards Belgaum. MC registration could the Madras registration under British India.

It would be interesting to identify the car, I hope she still exists

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:50   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I remembered a wonderful sequence I have not seen in 25 years and managed to find it. Some of you may remember that it was not always flatbed trucks and hydraulics. I am not sure I would follow the recommendation that resulted in the rather precarious set up of stones again though.
Thanks for this, lovely as always. We certainly have come a long way.

What happened to the car, any idea? I assume it is a Studebaker, the script seems to match. The truck sports the flat windscreen, one of the earliest Tata MBs. Later ones had 2 piece windscreens.

As mentioned already, MC is the Madras Presidency registration. Strange to see the lettering 'Mysore State Kerala', unless it implies the transport permit is for both Mysore and Kerala.
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:04   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....I thought to make an effort.
Quote:
Thanks is that a Studebaker or a Cadillac cannot figure the sign . MC registration is of which state Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
.........It would be interesting to identify the car, I hope she still exists Cheers KPS
Quote:
Thanks for this, lovely as always. We certainly have come a long way.

What happened to the car, any idea? I assume it is a Studebaker, the script seems to match. ..........
Hello Faster, good to see you back with a lovely post. A few comments though:

Thanks for making the effort. Hopefully more will follow.

The car is a 1919 Cadillac, see picture below and compare the inner outline of the shell. Also, see the mudguards. The car could exist perhaps abroad, or is lying locked up and remains secluded. Trust Karl to look at the truck. It is common for vehicles which are available for hire to mention the states for which they have permits.

The first flatbed was based in Mumbai, and then the multiple car transporter was introduced. But before that we had to transport cars in lorries, these were quite high. Often a ramp was built, the service ramps were used, sometimes a lorry was driven off the road and lined up with a section of a road to align the lorry bed and roll the car out. Planks were always used.

This car belonged to Royalty in south India, was offered to me in about 1984. As there was no photo, I am assuming its the same car. An exporter of cars pre ban period had told me that he had exported a lovely Cadillac of a similar age, that would not be this car. When I saw the picture I first googled 1919 Cadillac, next I would have googled Essex.

Its a 1919 Cadillac from South India and its present whereabouts are unknown to me.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-caddy-1919.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 23rd July 2013 at 14:09.
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:57   #234
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
I didn't identify the car because I thought it would be fairly straightforward. Harit is as usual correct, it is a Cadillac, but I can't confirm the exact year. Memories fade over time.
Old 24th July 2013, 20:46   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

While going through older posts, I'd like to make a correction. I earlier mentioned that...
Quote:
Incidentally while chatting with a friend today he mentioned the Roni Khan Invicta was imported to India by one Mr. Billimoria, was then bought by his father, and then sold to Khan.
But a page previous to that post, Faster clearly mentioned the other S Type (BMU) was owned by Billimoria, so I stand corrected.

Quote:
The other s-Type had a solid plate and belonged to for a while to B. Billimoria. It went to a few owners before a Swede (not a German) bought it and legally exported it along with the Silver Ghost.
Faster, could you shed light on first owners of both these cars? Or at least their origin?
Old 25th July 2013, 03:46   #236
BHPian

Faster789's collection-20130718_3.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130718_4.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130718_11.jpg

Faster789's collection-20130718_13.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 07:06   #237
Senior - BHPian

Was the snap of P1 BMW 9319 ( can experts identify the chassis number ) taken at Simla House , Mumbai ? Also 62 UK 's unseen single shade avataar has made me trust someone who had shared years back and noted by me also on this single colour faze . Fantastic to go for picnics with this beautiful a car.

Cheers
Old 25th July 2013, 09:29   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb as always, though if you can add some information on 9319 I would be grateful.

Quote:
Also 62 UK 's unseen single shade avataar has made me trust someone who had shared years back and noted by me also on this single colour faze
From what I learnt through previous posts and from Amir, the following is the sequence of colours

Sage green and cream, followed by single green, followed by sand and sable, followed by black and cream, and finally back to green and cream.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:58   #239
BHPian

Fasters pictures, as always, are superb.
Amir seems to be following in his family's footsteps, using the car as a car should be used. The brakes must have been a problem even then, note the dents on both the front fenders

Lovely pictures of lovely cars
Bulldogji is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:44   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Found this reference in a book on Armstrong Siddeley. Wondering if they are both the same car (Chassis 62756)!.....
I have a doubt that this blue car is the same as referred to because the blue car was a Bombay company owned car always located in Bombay. Recently the colour has been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And has to be corrected. 75-EH was recently in an auction, covered in a recent Auto India. And so I dug out all material I have on the Jungleewalla car, and some fresh material I got, and Bulldogji was right. These are two different car, Batlibhoy car was not the Baroda car. Windshield is different, as are other features, but both were Landaulettes.......Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
So which Baroda sister car are we talking about that is recently in the news , 71-RF or 75-EH ? The Bombay Governor PI that is / was in Singapore should be chassis 35-FH, a Windovers landaulette. Not sure if it was Lord Brabourne or Sir John Leigh.
Quote:
[BMW 9319]
This is the Batlibuoy/Jungleewala/Cawas/Brabourne car which went to the far east, Malaysia or Singapur. No comments from Faster on these nice pictures.

Quote:
I didn't identify the car because I thought it would be fairly straightforward. ........ Memories fade over time.
Fairly straightforward?

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks