Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 20:52   #1
BHPian

Faster789's collection

... of photos.

Some of the first of my slides that I am slowly trying to move to a digital format.

I haven't looked at these in such a long time. They do make me smile.
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-6.jpg  

Faster789's collection-5.jpg  

Faster789's collection-9.jpg  

Faster789's collection-13.jpg  

Faster789's collection-29.jpg  

Faster789's collection-30.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 13th May 2011 at 14:31. Reason: Shifting older posts to independant thread.
Faster789 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 21:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Faster, superb pictures. Do share a comment or two about them.

Thanks.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:58   #3
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Some of the first of my slides that I am slowly trying to move to a digital format.

Finally Sir Faster789 shines. Based on your previous posts it was clear you had deep knowledge on the India Car scene. I am so thrilled that you are able to share your pictures. Please keep them coming slowly as we need time to absorb them.

Amongst the picture I recognize the Bentley (picture #2) which is currently with Sanghi and was in the recent Cartier event.

Is the Lancia the same car seen in the Cartier event, currently owned by Bulldogji?

Please give us description like year, location and a brief on the cars if you can recollect.

I am excited.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 17th March 2011 at 22:00.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:

In order they appear and referring to my other post above (and assuming I am correct, it's been a while) . References to owners is as per time frame in the photo.

1. Invicta S Type, owner R. Khan, now in an unfortunate shade of Bhogilal purple (but thankfully preserved!). Last seen myself at Das*** a couple of years ago when I went to see him. I think that is S. Shroff leaning against it.
2. Bentley 3 Litre, owner P. Shroff
3. Lancia Lamda, owner R Jeejeebhoy
4. Morris Bullnose Cowley, ex Adenwalla, ex R. Khan, now Bhogilal(?) with Parsi mechanic standly proudly next to it!
5. Rally: T Ford, old man Trevasso's 1918 Fiat, an Austin like thing, Dubash's Merc 38/250, etc. This would have been '66 or '67 somewhere in Ballard Estate for judging before they set off
7. The next one is the the same shot with some bread and butter stuff behind. I remember there was a Perry that a guy had driven down all the way from Lucknow.

KPS, thanks for the Knighthood.

Last edited by Faster789 : 18th March 2011 at 00:42.
Faster789 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 07:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Great pictures, thanks so much for sharing!

In the Ballard Estate pictures, I think I see the Jodhpur Lagonda. Is the light coloured car behind it, the ex-Mysore Lancia Dilambda (Prof. Roger Moore ?).

I also remember reading somewhere (maybe the Veteran & Vintage Magazine) that the Dubash Mercedes 38/250 was ex-Cholmondeley. Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 18th March 2011 at 07:22.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:28   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures Faster789, thanks for sharing. That Invicta is so gorgeous !!
Old 18th March 2011, 11:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Faster789,

Great pictures! The Invicta sure is a beauty. Especially when parked on the side of the highway... it creates some interesting thoughts in my head.

I like how in the 2nd last photo there is a long row of chairs - all facing the cars!

cya
R
Old 18th March 2011, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics there! Total Nostalgia. The pics where the chairs are facing the cars. What was that? An auction? OR was it a TBHP meet (in the olden days) .
Old 18th March 2011, 16:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks much for sharing, Faster. Most of our generation have no access to these images, and no idea of what a vibrant movement it would have been in the '60s.

I'm rather glad to see almost all the cars are accounted for and alive today. Only the Mercedes I do not remember - but I assume it was is same BMX registered car I had posted earlier in the Parsi thread as belonging to Boman Dubash. Where is it now, when was it last seen?

The Lancia Lambda is still in the family and being restored I believe. The Model T recently made a re-appearance in the rally scene a couple of years ago. I think I can also see Bhogilal's large early Fiat (1909?). I met Peter recently, he is doing ok, eyesight continues to plague. The car was slightly damaged in floods a couple of years back, ready to be started but still waiting.

I really look forward to seeing more.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks much for sharing, Faster. Most of our generation have no access to these images, and no idea of what a vibrant movement it would have been in the '60s.

I'm rather glad to see almost all the cars are accounted for and alive today. Only the Mercedes I do not remember - but I assume it was is same BMX registered car I had posted earlier in the Parsi thread as belonging to Boman Dubash. Where is it now, when was it last seen?

The Lancia Lambda is still in the family and being restored I believe. The Model T recently made a re-appearance in the rally scene a couple of years ago. I think I can also see Bhogilal's large early Fiat (1909?). I met Peter recently, he is doing ok, eyesight continues to plague. The car was slightly damaged in floods a couple of years back, ready to be started but still waiting.

I really look forward to seeing more.
My pelasure, I think it's important that these times live again.

The Merc left our shores years and years ago, so not accounted for anymore.

The Lancia I believe was parked and then after some construction was discovered to be immovable as a pair of pillars made egress from her space impossible until recently! Funny story, wonder if it's completely true.

The movement in the 60s was, I think, in some ways the movement at its peak. It was enthusiast driven without any corporate flim flam (not saying that's a bad thing) and completely open and not exclusive. Then again, I am not qualified to judge because I don't know much about where it is today.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 17:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...The Lancia I believe was parked and then after some construction was discovered to be immovable as a pair of pillars made egress from her space impossible...
Reminded me of this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2083262

(See post 6 & 7)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 17:48   #12
BHPian

More than a few cars I knew/know of have met, shall we say, interesting ends.

I seem to recall a 300SL engine ending up in a speedboat. A Bugatti which had a house fall on it. A Rolls that ended up being a shed of sorts!
Old 18th March 2011, 17:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Faster 789 for sharing your wealth of pictures with us. The cars look in Mint condition and there does not seem to be a lot of crowd around for the event too. Peter's Fiat is looking gorgeous. I hope to see it in the same colour again and wish Peter a healthy time.

The Famous Dubash Mercedes was said to have left our shores, it is confirmed now, sad but true. Another of Dubash's cars a Rolls has met with the same fate, also sad.

Regarding the story of the Lancia and pillars being built around it, well im in knowledge of a 39 Ford which met with the same state not many years ago, when the building it was parked in went for major renovation. In the same way the pillar was obstructing the Ford's egress from the garage, locked for years but they managed to get it out after they dismantled the bumper and fenders etc. In fact the person whom it was eventually sold to, had to get his team of restorers to dismantle the body parts and get it out. It was part of the sale condition

The Invicta is a breath stopper. Unfortunately not many Invictas in India. Where is the Delhi one, does anyone know?

Please continue this sharing of your treasures Faster.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thank you Faster 789 for sharing your wealth of pictures with us. The cars look in Mint condition..
They were never reliable runners in the best of times from memory, we all enjoyed running our cars present and past nonetheless...

Quote:
The Famous Dubash Mercedes was said to have left our shores, it is confirmed now, sad but true. Another of Dubash's cars a Rolls has met with the same fate, also sad.
Personally, my view has always been that ultimately private property is just that and people must be allowed to do what they wish with it. But yes, sad in other ways.

Quote:
The Invicta is a breath stopper. Unfortunately not many Invictas in India. Where is the Delhi one, does anyone know?
I am not aware of another S-Type? Surely, there can't be two in the country?

Quote:
Please continue this sharing of your treasures Faster.
Here are a couple more of the Invicta. A wonderful car I rode in on occassion. Including one memorable late night when a wheel came off at over 40 mph just before the Breach Candy hospital and hit a fire hydrant - must have gone 20 feet in the air. Next thing we knew we were on three wheels. Wheel returned to its place, we carried on.

Faster789's collection-10.jpg
Faster789's collection-7.jpg
Faster789 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 11:06   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are a couple more of the Invicta. A wonderful car I rode in on occassion. Including one memorable late night when a wheel came off at over 40 mph just before the Breach Candy hospital and hit a fire hydrant - must have gone 20 feet in the air. Next thing we knew we were on three wheels. Wheel returned to its place, we carried on.
I was just visualising your horror when that may have happened ! What a fiasco ! Do please share more details on who the gentlemen were standing next to the car, any of them the owner? Who imported this car into India and any more history on its life here?

Most Viewed