Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 00:28   #46
AVR
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Club Vintage Car Rally - Ravi Prakash Collection

Possibly OT but when I was a kid we had a Plymouth stationwagon, green color and ex-Wankaner in Ahmedabad. A couple from B'lore staying at a hotel near our place convinced my father to give away the Plymouth and it went to B'lore. Has anyone run into a green colored (was the original green when we had it) Plymouth circa 1946-50. It had a 6-cylinder petrol. For pure nostalgic reasons I would like to see what came of it with the new owner.

Here's a reference pic for the same. Slightly lighter shade of green and in much better condition:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0013_large.jpg

Would really appreciate any leads.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 01:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Possibly OT but when I was a kid we had a Plymouth stationwagon, green color and ex-Wankaner in Ahmedabad. A couple from B'lore staying at a hotel near our place convinced my father to give away the Plymouth and it went to B'lore. Has anyone run into a green colored (was the original green when we had it) Plymouth circa 1946-50. It had a 6-cylinder petrol. For pure nostalgic reasons I would like to see what came of it with the new owner.
Well, that Plymouth is alive and not for sale in a city further south than Bangaluru. The guys who bought it sold it on, and when they tried to buy back it was not given.
Maybe the colour green was darkeer than what you have shown, and maybe there were even two shades. She still bears the same Gujrat registration.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 07:11   #48
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, that Plymouth is alive and not for sale in a city further south than Bangaluru. The guys who bought it sold it on, and when they tried to buy back it was not given.
Maybe the colour green was darkeer than what you have shown, and maybe there were even two shades. She still bears the same Gujrat registration.

Cheers harit
Dear Harit,

Your knowledge on the existing cars never ceases to amaze me. I did check around locally and no one could recollect this car being in Bangalore.

Nice to have you back after 3 weeks

Cheers
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 08:47   #49
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Harit!
Feels good to hear about it. Not intending to buy it back but generally inquisitive. Any pics of it that you can point me to? Is the current owner on Tbhp?
Cheers'
Adi
Old 8th March 2012, 14:58   #50
BHPian

Very nice Pics. The Austin looked very nice.
Dont think its an original colour though.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

The famous Jaguar E Type.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Club Vintage Car Rally - Ravi Prakash Collection-img_9429.jpg  

Bangalore Club Vintage Car Rally - Ravi Prakash Collection-img_9431.jpg  

Old 26th March 2012, 11:17   #52
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Club Vintage Car Rally - Ravi Prkash Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Peugeot 404 Convertible - This used to be yellow
I would very much appreciate receiving any contact information for the owner of this car. I am a representative of Le Club 404 (France) in charge or our Registry, and we have 1645 of these registered by serial number so far. I would like to be able to add this one to our Registry. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Reply by PM or in this thread, if you prefer. Thank you.
Old 31st March 2012, 23:20   #53
BHPian

Thanks very much to Kersi for the contact information; Dr. Prakash has kindly consented to have his rare Peugeot 404 Cabriolet added to the worldwide Registry!
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:30   #54
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's TOI, Bangalore 2nd May

City's vintage beauties to sparkle at US festival - The Times of India

Quote:
BANGALORE: Neighbour's envy, owner's pride. And Ravi Prakash has 180 of them - vintage, classic and antique cars - in his fleet.

A couple of ones from Ravi Prakash's collection are now set to participate at the prestigious Concours d'Elegance show in Pebbles Beach, California, in August this year.

One of the world's top auto festivals, the Concours d'Elegance show is being held at Pebble Beach since 1950. India has been invited to the festival for the first time in its 62nd edition this year.

Cars are the focus of the event. A car competition, an auction, a classic car tour and an automotive car exhibition will be lending grandeur to the gala show.

Significantly, four Indians have been invited to make their presence felt at the festival this time. Sharing the honours with Ravi Prakash are the Maharaja of Udaipur Shriji, advocate Diljeet Titus from Delhi, and another vintage car enthusiast from Mumbai. "It is tough to get an entry there. The organizers receive a mammoth 7,000 applications each year from car owners across the globe, and at the end, shortlist 150-200 of them. This year, they zeroed in on 180 cars," said Ravi.

A doctor by qualification, his cars are housed in his farm on the outskirts of Bangalore. With his penchant for old cars, it doesn't come as a surprise that he is the secretary of Karnataka Vintage and Classic Car Club. "It is a dream come true for me. Getting invited to the festival is a great honour," he said.

Ravi is getting his vehicles shipped to California via Singapore in June. The journey will take 40-45 days.

A1930-built Delage (D8) (vintage variety) and 1907-make Locomobile Veteran Car (antique) will be Ravi's entries at the Concours d'Elegance show at Pebbles Beach, California.

Locomobile's rise to success was impressive, becoming the most popular car after it adopted the slogan, 'Easily the best built car in America' . Its size makes it a convenient car to operate and maintain, and it is particularly liked by those who like to take care of their own machines, said a company catalogue.

Delage was a French luxury automobile and race car company founded in 1905 by Louis Delage in Levallois-Perret near Paris. Within years of its rolling out, the car went on to make waves at Grand Prix races. When World War I broke out in 1914, the company's production facilities were used by the military. It was acquired by Delahaye in 1935 and ceased operations in 1953.

Veteran cars are those made between 1886 and 1909, while Edwardians are those manufactured between 1910 and 1919. Vintage cars were rolled out between 1920 and 1939, while those made during 1940-79 are called classic cars.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Typical TOI. Does the Mumbai entry not have a named owner? It a Rolls Royce owned by the Jetha family.
And see their classification. New guidelines for clubs and organisers.

Cheers harit
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Typical TOI. Does the Mumbai entry not have a named owner? It a Rolls Royce owned by the Jetha family.
And see their classification. New guidelines for clubs and organisers.

Cheers harit
Its the Gurney Nutting Coupe ? What a lovely car
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:53   #57
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the first pictures of the Locomobile from TOI

Bangalore Club Vintage Car Rally - Ravi Prakash Collection-scan-image-001.jpg

Cheers

KPS

Most Viewed