Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2020, 17:06   #106
BHPian

Re: PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India

Here's another Traction 11BL from Bangalore, it belongs to a friend; some of these pics are his.

I was told that it was in pieces before it was restored (albeit with some modern fittings) about a year back, but they don't have any photos of it in that previous condition. Would anyone else happen to have them if they came across this car before?

I believe it's also a British Slough-built model as its RHD, but here it has a steel dash rather than the wooden one, so I'm a little confused about its origin, and whether it could've been a conversion from LHD.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-1947-7.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-1947-9.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-img20191020085328.jpg  

sleeperwagon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 20:46   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperwagon View Post
I believe it's also a British Slough-built model as its RHD, but here it has a steel dash rather than the wooden one, so I'm a little confused about its origin, and whether it could've been a conversion from LHD.
The French factory made right hand drive cars for exports, very few though. It seems to me that only one main shipping to India took place of 11BLs as there seem to be quite a few still around. All apparently from the same years (about 1947, definitely pre 1951). So this one is correct with it steel dashboard and RHD. And thankfully in black.
If your friend needs the missing original bits (carpets, fabric for seats, the light/horn commodo, the chrome grill around the gear lever etc) I am most happy to bring them to India on my next trip to France (I can help him with the orders, everything is available here). These cars are so lovely when original and need no modern additions, so I'm happy to help.
You can all become members of the Traction Universelle, the largest club dedicated to Traction Avants. Or, with the help of Google Translate, have a look at the forum https://forumgmt.fr/viewforum.php?id=7. (pictures don't need translation, lol).
Philedonos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:26   #108
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

A friends Traction Avant was put on static display at the Citroen Delhi Showroom yesterday , was quite a task getting the car in this position with the limited space around !
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-151512148_10160957927027178_4391002454256082531_o.jpg  

wbd8779 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 01:44   #109

Hi All!

As an expat about to return home, I would love to acquire a 6 cylinder car for occasional use. All help gratefully received.

Many years ago mt family had a Light 15 in Bombay and I learned to drive on a similar car belonging to my music teacher at school. That sparked a life long love of Citroen and over the years I have owned 30+ cars ranging from Tractions to DS Convertible to GSA, 2CV, Visa and more.

Does anyone have any contacts with Citroen India?

Thanks!
AHK500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 23:31   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Shared by Pierre Jammes

India, 1949

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-20210417_232537.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 22:42   #111
BHPian

Hi!
I've bought a 1952 Traction Avant. It's a RHD French made 4 cylinder. I think it is 11BL (I'm still learning my way around these cars). It needs complete rebuild and is missing a lot of parts.

I am trying to source the switches for the dash. But, I don't know what switches came on my specific model and what I need. So, I'm hoping to get some reference pics of a 1952 RHD French made dash.

Also, if there is anyone who has parts for this car, please do get in touch with me.

(I haven't posted on here in a very long time - so need to figure out once more how to post pics - and then will post some pics)

Thanks
Byas

Last edited by 71Convertible : 17th October 2022 at 22:44.
71Convertible is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:34   #112
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations 71Cobvertible, here is a link on how to upload pics
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Would love to see pics of your Citroen. I remember reading about a Citroen Club of India back in the 90s in Auto India and the collector was from Andheri, Mumbai (near Bhavans College). He was supposedly the sole member of the club and owned a couple of Citroens. One of them being a DS which in a completely junked condition until it was recently restored by Allan Almeida. You can try connecting with him - i am sure he will be able to help.
Old 18th October 2022, 05:43   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Hi!
I've bought a 1952 Traction Avant. It's a RHD French made 4 cylinder. I think it is 11BL (I'm still learning my way around these cars). It needs complete rebuild and is missing a lot of parts.

(I haven't posted on here in a very long time - so need to figure out once more how to post pics - and then will post some pics)

Thanks
Byas
Wow! Well done with that! I love the Citroen Traction Avant and it’s technology and comfort innovations so far ahead of its time! That’s a car worth seeing for sure! Brings to mind Georges Simenon’s Inspector Maigret books and 1950’s France, the blue haze in those smoke laden waterfront bistros in Marseilles, with hard faced men in striped jerseys and berets and flick knives in their pockets, nursing their glasses of pastis and then Le flics pulling up in their Traction Avant with blue flashing lights and carting off a few villains in handcuffs. The Traction Avant was a pretty fast getaway car as used by the Maquis/ French Resistance in WW2.

Posting pics. When posting you will see the link below to ‘Manage Attachments’ - as shown in this attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-f049062578834ed6bda9313bacb7c34d.png  

Old 19th October 2022, 21:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperwagon View Post
Here's another Traction 11BL from Bangalore, it belongs to a friend; some of these pics are his.

I was told that it was in pieces before it was restored (albeit with some modern fittings) about a year back, but they don't have any photos of it in that previous condition. Would anyone else happen to have them if they came across this car before?

Which year is this car? RHDs were also made in France. (And in South Africa)
Old 20th October 2022, 20:50   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Which year is this car? RHDs were also made in France. (And in South Africa)
He claims it's a '47 but I can't be too sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks