Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 00:13   #1
BHPian

I waited for last 18 Years & its Finally here- my Vintage Love BSA

Dear All,

This is a long wait a wait of more than 18 to 20 years...that is from 1990s to 2011 from an age of 12 I was to now being 32.

This is is aint to be a small write up cuase I am writing my heart of so many years of wait for my Vintage bike & this could be too big fo you to read sory for it!

I am Rahul Manthalkar from Solapur (now settled in Pune)- my grandfather Mr Vasantrao Manthalkar was a an agriculturist and a business man & had been using a BSA 1948 model (350 cc OH Engine).

I hardly have a glimpse of the motorcycle kept in my fathers Garage that Red vintage bike here while me & my cousing used to sit fantasising on riding it when we were of 6 to 8 years old, however a day I realised that my father had given that bike to his friend for using it & after that where he vanished was not known & when I came in my teens some how this BSA attracted my attention- I asked my Father to where the bike went & he said he has given to his friend this friend Mr Thorat.

Those days there was no Internet this i am talking is in early 90's I was 13 or 14 years old kid but still I searched this person from The telephone directories there were some 200 Thorats then in the directory but I found teh right man staying in Yerwada in Pune & when enquired about my grandfathers bike he said that his brother had opened it for something- one day I persuaded Mr Thorat to take me where the bike was in 1995 & seeing the bike was a shock (the Engine was opened with no Cy block head, dynamo missing, no pushrod dynamo, rocker valves missing) it was rustng ads hell... Mr Thorats brother said that if he must return The bike to me I must pay him Rs 6000 in 1995 Rs & that he will give the bike to me, those days my mom thought giving me that amount was a waste I cried & died telling my love for it but no one was to hear, everything was so bad that I was just helpless & at last a 15 year boy I was where on earth could I earn to throw the ammount on this Throrsts brothers face & free my bike (though demading money was not correct by him since his brother had taken it for just using it for some time & promised to return)

Days went & in 6 months i forcibly lifted my bike (BSA 350) in The condition it was along with one matchless of Thorat to teach him a lesson & return him in Barter of the BSA's missing parts however my mother learnt as what I had done & she returned Mr Thorats's Matchless along with the BSA that I had brought thinking that it was a waste & my heart just shattered.

After that incident I went & saw the BSA Fallen in front of his house but could not some how bring it back & as days turned Thorat again changed his house & the BSA went missing however whatever it was my passion for these vintage bikes dint die I got married in 2008 I dint even have 500 Rs in my pocket at that time however I plunged my self in Tours & Holidays business did a good job made some good savings & was than in a position of buying one vintage bike.

A Mechanic in Chennai named Devraj promised to sell me a BSA 350 at 1,50,000 rs that was fallen in his garage-agreeing at the price I decided to buy it the next day & when I went to get it however he said that the bike is not available , again hopes shattred & was really feeling bad about all this if really I would get a good BSA.

Meanwhile I knew from a long time this an old Mechanic Mr babu Khan a who even repaired my Grandfathers bike & was also an initial teacher to my father where he learnt about automobiles later was a Dealer for Kinetic, YAMAHA & Mahidra two wheelers.

Babau Khan was a tough person though having a BSA M20 was reluctant to sell it- I flatly offered him an offer & he agreed to sell it to me with great effort, once his son called me that the bike is ready & I could take it I ran from Pune went to his garage with my Dad- saw the bike it was great to itself it started at the first Kick & with a test ride I said Babu Khan that it was a bit noisy & he said that the noise was not from Engine but was from the Chain I thought there could be some negotiation but in a few minutes- I signed the cheque to Mr Babu Khan & his son brought the BSA to my house.

The bike is in great original condition except the color had to be done, which I started today & the engine sounds great but has a few drop of oil leaks & the smith meter is not in working condition.

The Day I rode the BSA M20 which I had never even heard firing today I was riding as a proud owner & my heart was thumping of joy & to posses it & was like having owning the Buckgingham Palace- The BSA M20 all mine is now getting ready to get painted & before I had bought the BSA just 2 days before I had signed an another Cheque for a 1956 Black beautiful AJS which I purchced from Mumbai its beautiful Black color- starts at first kick & ticks like a swiss watch (I bought it because I dint think that Babu Khan would part with his BSA)

For one Vintage bike which I longed has today made me own 2- both unique & distinguished in their own way, the strong machines they are yet delicate & beautiful they seem, they take me in great nostalgia & make me feel proud to ride these machines with whom I had wanted to live since 1993- I am now 32 young & fortunate to have them.

I love the BSA M20 specially because it has come to me as a 3rd generation user it helped my Grnadfather grwo & inspire my father to grow in Automobiles & for me It just came to be in my care.

Thanks for reading this- photographs will be posted soon.

With regrds-
Rahul A Manthalkar
Old 18th June 2011, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Re: I waited for last 18 Years & its Finally here- my Vintage Love BSA

Pursue your dreams and you shall realise them......!!
Very happy to know you have got what you have always dreamt of !!
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 17:42   #3
BHPian

happy for you & your Bsa .
you must have known the model your granpa owned, which one was it? I'm not much aware of the vintage scene here but to me it seems ohv models out number sidevalves & so a better chance of sighting former.

Hope to find mine some day... the one machine in my wishes even before i learnt to ride a motorcycle.

Last edited by Rennjit : 18th June 2011 at 17:47. Reason: ;-)
Old 18th June 2011, 22:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
happy for you & your Bsa .
you must have known the model your granpa owned, which one was it? I'm not much aware of the vintage scene here but to me it seems ohv models out number sidevalves & so a better chance of sighting former.

Hope to find mine some day... the one machine in my wishes even before i learnt to ride a motorcycle.
Dear Renjit, It was a 1948 Overhead Model Rigid Frame with front shock absorbers- the dealer development of Kinetic had a photograph of our workshop in 80;s when this bike was there & that I had seen it in their file some 16 years ago however I will try to find out if I can get this Pic out of the File I am still giving my hopes on on my grandpas bike BYH 348- but if not at least that photograph i will get & even if nothing my heart has enough to remember that great queen.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Awesome !!!! Now please give us a full photo feature!!!!

Old 20th June 2011, 09:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

That is some persistence - truly thrilled to read the story. Congratulations on the acquisition and now it is time to treat us with pictures - please post the pictures before you start working on her and do keep this thread updated with work in progress pictures.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 10:51   #7
BHPian

This is sheer persistence and perseverance that's paid off. I honestly appreciate your sheer will to do something like this. I know how it feels as my father once owned this bike and in those days we just did not know any thing about bikes!

All the best for your awesome looking bike, please post pictures soon.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
That is some persistence - truly thrilled to read the story. Congratulations on the acquisition and now it is time to treat us with pictures - please post the pictures before you start working on her and do keep this thread updated with work in progress pictures.
Hii, thank you for your lines- yes I do have pictures of the bike as hwen it was aquired- will send it very soon, also thanks for your good wishes.
regds-
Rahul
Old 20th June 2011, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Hello friend- I feel happy that your father did have this bike yes i am sending the picture v soon- regds Rahul
Old 20th June 2011, 12:54   #10
BHPian

Dear Rahul,

Initially congrats on your new acquisitions, if i could remember a similar story was there in local papers Maharashtra times or lokmat regarding a SUN BEAM in Nagar.

Will check if i could have the paper cuttings.

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 20th June 2011, 13:26   #11
BHPian

Congrats!! pics pics!!
Btw, Someone mentioned Sunbeam and that reminds me if anyone here knows if i can find an overhead cam and complete head for the Sunbeam S7/S8 .
Old 21st June 2011, 23:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Dear Rahul,

Initially congrats on your new acquisitions, if i could remember a similar story was there in local papers Maharashtra times or lokmat regarding a SUN BEAM in Nagar.

Will check if i could have the paper cuttings.

Regards,
Ranjit

hii Ranjit what did it happen with this sunbeam?
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Hello Rahul,

This is such a nice and touching narrative. Your love for the bikes lasted for 20 years and i can say those bikes have come to the right person finally. This story certainly gives me inspiration to hunt down couple of old vehicles that my grandfather used and i rode on them as a little kid..

All the best with your restoration.

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:36   #14
BHPian

Dear Rahul, Congratulations on your new aquisitions.... now please share some pics

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:44   #15
BHPian

Dear Rahul,

The bike was auctioned and was picked up for a hefty sum. Was in Lokmat / sakal papers in nashik and the cutting was especially saved for me by my mamaji as he knows that i love vintage vehicles and there trivia.

Attached are the details

Regards,
Ranjit
Attached Thumbnails
I waited for last 18 Years & its Finally here- my Vintage Love BSA-ranjit-bike-.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks