Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 11:13   #76

Re: Pre / Post War Pontiac

This thread is exactly what I was looking for.
(Anjan Sir, this might be the Streamliner from Nagpur which was mentioned in your post.)

The car in the picture is a '46 or '47 Streamliner which was owned by my great-grandfather at Nagpur. He was the founder-owner of a rubber factory.
The gentleman sitting in the car is my grandfather.

The car was bought at Bombay, and came in a shade of dark brown which was later changed to dark grey after it was brought to Nagpur. The original registration number was CPA 1622 (Central Provinces & Berar), which was changed to MHN 1712 (or 1713) when Nagpur became a part of Maharashtra.

My great-grandfather passed away in the mid-'60s, and the car was sold in the '70s. The car's whereabouts remain unknown ever since.

I was born much, much later, and grew up hearing stories of the family Pontiac. It would be great to see it still running with that magnificent straight-six.

Please let me know if you come across a Streamliner with the above history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
What a car? Made my day. Thanks KPS for the lovely pictures. Its really a masterpiece and the restoration job is so well executed.
Its sad that the brand has been killed by GM in late 2010.
Pontiac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Our neighbour and family friend used to bring one cream, soft-top 1940's, 2527b Business Coupe which was not so well maintained. He was in the RTO and used to drive around in many old cars, that would come to him for fitness.I too would get rides but as a child was not aware of its worth. The car must have been very rare in India and I doubt if any survive here. This one's number was BYG 3888. Don't know if that rare car still survives.
Attachment 571570
Was like this one but with a soft top
In Nagpur we had a mid 1940's (1946 or 47) Chieftian Streamliner four door that was black and exquisite looking with all its chrome. It was owned by a family acquaintance. After the oil shock around the late 1970's they sold it away. I do not remember its number too!
Attachment 571571
Was exactly like this one but black.
(pictures from classicpontiacs.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Pre / Post War Pontiac-streamliner.jpg  

Pre / Post War Pontiac-pontiac194647.jpg  

designfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 18:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designfreak View Post
(Anjan Sir, this might be the Streamliner from Nagpur which was mentioned in your post.)

The car in the picture is a '46 or '47 Streamliner which was owned by my great-grandfather at Nagpur. He was the founder-owner of a rubber factory.

The car was bought at Bombay, and came in a shade of dark brown which was later changed to dark grey after it was brought to Nagpur. The original registration number was CPA 1622 (Central Provinces & Berar), which was changed to MHN 1712 (or 1713) when Nagpur became a part of Maharashtra.

My great-grandfather passed away in the mid-'60s, and the car was sold in the '70s. The car's whereabouts remain unknown ever since.

I was born much, much later, and grew up hearing stories of the family Pontiac. It would be great to see it still running with that magnificent straight-six.

Please let me know if you come across a Streamliner with the above history.
Thanks designfreak for the facts about your family car which was also a Streamliner. Its simply great to view the old picture of the car featured here.
The car and family I was referring to also belonged to a businessman whom we knew, but they were in the sweet and diary business here.The car was also similar looking and black. I forget its registration number.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 18:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The car in the picture is a '46 or '47 Streamliner which was owned by my great-grandfather at Nagpur. He was the founder-owner of a rubber factory.

The car was bought at Bombay, and came in a shade of dark brown which was later changed to dark grey after it was brought to Nagpur. The original registration number was CPA 1622 (Central Provinces & Berar), which was changed to MHN 1712 (or 1713) when Nagpur became a part of Maharashtra.....
Nice car he had.
It appears no documents survive, otherwise I would ask you to check the original regisration no. Did he buy it brand new or was it used? If brand new, then he would have registered in Nagpur and obtained the CPA no. If used, it would have a BMZ or similar number and then tranferred.

Here is another old Pontiac, posted the picture instead of posting the link.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Pre / Post War Pontiac-pont.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 09:08   #79

Thanks for the info, Anjan Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks designfreak for the facts about your family car which was also a Streamliner. Its simply great to view the old picture of the car featured here.
The car and family I was referring to also belonged to a businessman whom we knew, but they were in the sweet and diary business here.The car was also similar looking and black. I forget its registration number.
Thanks Harit. He bought the car brand new, which is why the car had the CPA number in the beginning.

Nice picture, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice car he had.
It appears no documents survive, otherwise I would ask you to check the original regisration no. Did he buy it brand new or was it used? If brand new, then he would have registered in Nagpur and obtained the CPA no. If used, it would have a BMZ or similar number and then tranferred.

Here is another old Pontiac, posted the picture instead of posting the link.

Cheers harit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 13th February 2012 at 09:54. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 16th February 2012, 17:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

This Pontiac may have been in Mysore.
The tower in the background appears to be an Airport tower.
What are those hots those guys are wearing?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Pre / Post War Pontiac-pont.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 16th February 2012 at 17:46.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:

Your car is a 1946 Streamliner, top of the line. I far prefer the sweeping back versions such as this to the hunchback ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Pontiac may have been in Mysore.

Cheers harit
This one's a 1947 Streamliner.

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 16:49   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
This car is now featured in the thread . This car was offered to me some time back and was actually a chopped top and was in Nagpur. Can be clarified by anyone ?

Cheers
Hi Kasli,

This car came to Mumbai from Nagpur, 2008 I think to a Bandra dealer & was sold on to someone in Delhi. It was undergoing restoration, but to the best of my knowledge, work was stopped midway for some reason.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:14   #83

Thanks mbz180!
I prefer the swept back versions too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Your car is a 1946 Streamliner, top of the line. I far prefer the sweeping back versions such as this to the hunchback ones.

mbz180
Old 28th August 2012, 22:59   #84
BHPian

This is my 1948 Pontiac 'Silver Streak'. The Silver Streak, born in the 'Art Deco' style of the mid thirties featured unique fastback styling. “A fine car made even finer”, was the advertising slogan for the 1948 Pontiac and it proved to be a very unique model year, blending old with new & a face-lifted Pontiac emerged, with lavish use of chrome trim carrying the most elaborate grille treatment of any car during the postwar era.
The name 'Silver-Streak' was taken from a body detail peculiar to Pontiacs manufactured from 1935 to 1956, called a 'Silver-Streak', which is a three-banded, chromed metal band that ran down the middle of the hood and trunk. It was meant to create the illusion of speed and together with the elaborate 'Red Indian' hood ornament as a visual cue to help distinguish Pontiacs from their competitors.
This car lived it's life garaged in the agricultural village of Nanjai Pulliampatti, near Erode in Tamil Nadu & save for normal wear & tear was in fairly good condition. I am the 3rd owner of the car, having acquired it in 2009.
Rather unusual, but the car has not seen any corrosion nor had any accident - not even a minor dent, and all the panels are original. The car has been conscientiously maintained and preserved rather than restored. It was though repainted, worn out suspension - brake - engine parts replaced & with new interiors - leather trim & carpet. Runs well, have made 2 trips to Bangalore & another to Pondicherry.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pontiac Silver Streak.zip (710.6 KB, 295 views)
Old 29th August 2012, 00:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985
This is my 1948 Pontiac 'Silver Streak'. The Silver Streak, born in the 'Art Deco' style of the mid thirties featured unique fastback styling. “A fine car made even finer”, was the advertising slogan for the 1948 Pontiac and it proved to be a very unique model year, blending old with new & a face-lifted Pontiac emerged, with lavish use of chrome trim carrying the most elaborate grille treatment of any car during the postwar era.
The name 'Silver-Streak' was taken from a body detail peculiar to Pontiacs manufactured from 1935 to 1956, called a 'Silver-Streak', which is a three-banded, chromed metal band that ran down the middle of the hood and trunk. It was meant to create the illusion of speed and together with the elaborate 'Red Indian' hood ornament as a visual cue to help distinguish Pontiacs from their competitors.
This car lived it's life garaged in the agricultural village of Nanjai Pulliampatti, near Erode in Tamil Nadu & save for normal wear & tear was in fairly good condition. I am the 3rd owner of the car, having acquired it in 2009.
Rather unusual, but the car has not seen any corrosion nor had any accident - not even a minor dent, and all the panels are original. The car has been conscientiously maintained and preserved rather than restored. It was though repainted, worn out suspension - brake - engine parts replaced & with new interiors - leather trim & carpet. Runs well, have made 2 trips to Bangalore & another to Pondicherry.
Some images of your car would be nice .Love to see images and details of the interiors and engine and even boot for other owners to make notes of Authenticity for their current and future restorations projects .

Cheera

Last edited by kasli : 29th August 2012 at 00:16.
Old 29th August 2012, 02:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Some images of your car would be nice .Love to see images and details of the interiors and engine and even boot for other owners to make notes of Authenticity for their current and future restorations projects .

Cheera
I did upload, not sure where I went wrong, will try again !
Old 29th August 2012, 10:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Some images of your car would be nice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
Looks like it was uploaded as a ZIP file. Have extracted and attached below.

Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00195.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00197.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00198.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00199.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00200.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00203.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00205.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00207.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00212.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00215.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00218.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00222.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00224.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00230.jpg
Pre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00231.jpgPre / Post War Pontiac-dsc00232.jpg
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 11:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985

The radio needs to go up where the Pontiac plate on the dash is. That strip with Pontiac script written is called a radio delete plate as you have a radio the plate can be removed and the radio fitted in that slot. Nice car and really well fitted.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 12:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
as you have a radio the plate can be removed and the radio fitted in that slot.
I don't think it can be installed as is. One would also need the appropriate radio face plate. Attached is a pic of the face plate from the net :

Pre / Post War Pontiac-5943969365_f70faf1418_z.jpg

Quote:
Nice car and really well fitted.
A very nice car, indeed.
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 12:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
This is my 1948 Pontiac 'Silver Streak'. .....
Surely a Cartier worthy car? Transportation may be an issue though.

Here is a Pontiac caught in the passing, intruding in the photo
Where was "Rehman Cap and Hat Mfg Co located? If the pontiac had been a tad faster we could have known the number.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Pre / Post War Pontiac-pontiac0.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks