Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-20111030-13.41.54.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-20111030-13.42.14.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-20111030-13.42.23.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-20111030-13.42.26.jpg  

adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 17:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers

This car parade with F1 drivers was an achievement for HMCI to promote the vintage car movement in India. A lot of hard work went into this, somehow plans and ideas kept changing till we had these cars selected and lined up for the drive. And most notable is that participating cars came from all over India, HMCI is becoming more and more an all inclusive club for the Vintage movement in India.

The biggest headache for HMCI was the selection of cars. There was F1, then there were the owners and HMCI was caught inbetween. Originally 28 cars were to take part, then this was reduced to just 12 cars before the number was expanded again. The cars were to run at 80KMPH with the drivers standing in them, later the speed was reduced. There was concern about the old cars dripping oil on the track, as soon as the run was over a check for oil deposit on the track was made.

About selection of cars there was a lot of confusion. Initially I was asked about my Lancia, now seeing the pictures of the event I feel that it should have been there. But an issue was raised that the engine was not original, well the Lancia has the engine which it was raced with and it is a SS (pre-Jaguar) engine. There is no question of installing a Lancia engine. And a friendly colleague from Mumbai, who begged for an invite, got it, and then withdrew also commented on the engine inspite of knowing the history. But apart from that, so many F1 cars use other engines. And we see that so many cars present were rebodied. Because India does not have sufficient suitable cars, there was also an idea of showcasing Maharaja cars, and apparently that is why some of them were used. But some of the tourers looked out of place.

There were many cars which should have been there, Gondals 300SL, XK 150, some real MG's as raced, Mallya's cars like his Fiat Corsa or Mercedes 630, his Alvis, Sanghi's Bentley etc. I am sure that they were asked, I believe that Mallya did not respond.

We all saw the celebration when trophies were handed out and there were the after race parties. Here are two pictures taken at the end of an event in India, no idea where, the guys holding their trophies sedately, no jumping and Champagne shower, and the after race dinner in a family like atmosphere, all ladies dressed in full. May have been fun at that time, today it woukd be too boring.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-scan0321tbhp.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Car Parade with F1 Drivers-motor-sport-006tbhp.jpg  

Old 12th November 2011, 22:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This car parade with F1 drivers was an achievement for HMCI to promote the vintage car movement in India. A lot of hard work went into this, somehow plans and ideas kept changing till we had these cars selected and lined up for the drive.
Congratulations Harit! I'd no idea that you'd become a member of HMCI's core committee! This is wonderful news! I was hoping to meet you today in Delhi, why didn't you come?
Old 13th November 2011, 12:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Congratulations Harit! I'd no idea that you'd become a member of HMCI's core committee! This is wonderful news! I was hoping to meet you today in Delhi, why didn't you come?
Interpretation, and the detail devil. I have NOT become a member of the core committee, meant to say was that WE referring to vintage cars enthusiasts and WE the enthusiasts had these cars selected (for us), this is the missing bit. I look at any event involving vintage cars as OUR event, for vintage car enthusists and does not mean that I am involved.
But it would be a good idea to have HMCI presence in Maharashtra, na?

Cheers harit
Old 14th November 2011, 22:10   #35
BHPian

Sir,
This makes for great reading. Wonder what the F1 drivers thought of the cars displayed. Would be nice to hear their views on the vintage scene in India. Please do post their comments. Thanks. Caddy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks