Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 11:16   #1
BHPian

Myanmar(Burma) Cars

I have been visiting Myanmar for the past 16 odd years on work.

At times you see or bump in to some lovely Classic Cars and vintage cars and trucks. Somehow never had my camera around to take any snaps for all of us here.

The country opened up in 1989 and second hand re-conditioned cars were allowed to be imported and the duty on it was 200%. But, as it was restricted, the premium on cars kept going up. So, a Nissan Sunny of 1980's vintage was being sold maybe 5th hand there, today at around $40,000!!!

The preferred cars were always the Japanese ones as they are plentiful and the top maker was Toyota.

In the recent past I have noticed a lot of cars are coming in Europe and South America too, some of them of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Plenty of VW Beetles have suddenly appeared on the roads in the past 2 years.

Due to restrictions on import of spares and availability too, the local garages have been doing a superb job both mechanically and on the bodies.

Now the bombshell for all of us, Vintage and Classic lovers - a new rule has been passed - all cars pre 1985 have to be scrapped and no more imports pre 2000 shall be allowed!!!

So, where will all the 30's, 40's and 50's car go?? To the scrapyard!!!! That is the new law!!!

Can anyone help to save them????
adkol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol
I have been visiting Myanmar for the past 16 odd years on work.

At times you see or bump in to some lovely Classic Cars and vintage cars and trucks. Somehow never had my camera around to take any snaps for all of us here.

The country opened up in 1989 and second hand re-conditioned cars were allowed to be imported and the duty on it was 200%. But, as it was restricted, the premium on cars kept going up. So, a Nissan Sunny of 1980's vintage was being sold maybe 5th hand there, today at around $40,000!!!

The preferred cars were always the Japanese ones as they are plentiful and the top maker was Toyota.

In the recent past I have noticed a lot of cars are coming in Europe and South America too, some of them of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Plenty of VW Beetles have suddenly appeared on the roads in the past 2 years.

Due to restrictions on import of spares and availability too, the local garages have been doing a superb job both mechanically and on the bodies.

Now the bombshell for all of us, Vintage and Classic lovers - a new rule has been passed - all cars pre 1985 have to be scrapped and no more imports pre 2000 shall be allowed!!!

So, where will all the 30's, 40's and 50's car go?? To the scrapyard!!!! That is the new law!!!

Well the rule is and like good lovers of Vintage and classic cars lets find out their club and automobile association and help them from scrapping of all cars that register with them and their owners also should not just conclude without putting up a debate then fight . Always ready to help !

There should be some really good cars

Cheers
Old 27th October 2011, 20:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Myanmar(Burma) Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
Lets drive them across the border, we really need to create a large sanctuary where one can drive all these beauties on private roads without registration. Just like a Jurassic park. Any takers?
Old 27th October 2011, 22:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Myanmar(Burma) Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Lets drive them across the border, we really need to create a large sanctuary where one can drive all these beauties on private roads without registration. Just like a Jurassic park. Any takers?
I'm in, if there is to be one !!
Seriously, I do wish there was a 'neutral' zone where one could bring in, own, and drive Vintage cars irrespective of the narrow boundaries of Nationality..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks