Team-BHP - The 2012 Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   The 2012 Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/112838-2012-kolkata-statesman-vintage-classic-car-rally.html)

The 2012 edition of the Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally is to be held on Sunday, January 8, 2012.

As usual the day of scrutiny by the judges will be the day before, Saturday the 7th and this is the best time in my opinion to check out the cars in detail.

This time around, the winter has been one of the coldest in 10 years, so during the time of judging, (which is normally from 9 or 10 in the morning onward) the day temperature should be pleasant.

The struggle will be on the rally day. Cold cold early mornings are not what I look forward to and for those taking part, the cars have to struggle as much to get out their slumber:D (Unless it warms up by then).

Suggest those who are taking part and are reading this, if your car has a priming lever on the fuel (AC) pump, prime it until you feel less resistance then stop. That way, the carb/s will already have adequate fuel. For those of you who's car's don't have this, use the choke; it's useful on a cold morning.

Hope to meet some members on either or both of these days.

I'll be there on both days, with a car.

Regards
mbz180

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbz180 (Post 2616692)

Hope to meet some members on either or both of these days.

I'll be there on both days, with a car.

What car are you driving this year ?

WOW THATS COOL !!! Will try being there for sure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar (Post 2616963)
What car are you driving this year ?

That's a bit of a surprise. I just sent in the application today, so I'll have to wait and see whether the car gets accepted to participate at this late stage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrivardhan (Post 2616999)
WOW THATS COOL !!! Will try being there for sure :)

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure you'll be there and well represented:D

Prithvi

Can a new Porsche 911 be entered as a classic?

Hello mbz,

Can you please share the route, especially in Saltlake ( since I stay there ).

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopal Jaidka (Post 2618935)

Which year ? more over the entries have been closed by now i think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitrajdeep (Post 2619009)
Hello mbz,

Thank you.

Route is only disclosed on the day of the rally i.e. Sunday 8th Morning when the cars are coming into the rally grounds.

Quote:

Hello mbz,

Thank you.

Rajdeep Da, don't bother with the route. Keep Saturday morning free. We usually form a small group and go on Saturday. Watch the judging, talk to the owners, take photos - a good outing :). Come along with us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 2619904)
Rajdeep Da, don't bother with the route. Keep Saturday morning free. We usually form a small group and go on Saturday. Watch the judging, talk to the owners, take photos - a good outing :). Come along with us.

Thanks a lot for the offer , will try to make it.

When and where do we have to go ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopal Jaidka (Post 2618935)

Even if it cannot be entered in the competition,do bring it anyway if you can,so someone us can have a nice look at the car.:)

Quote:

Hello mbz,

Thank you.

I would think that it would again be the normal rally route as the base with perhaps a few small variations.

Out from Eastern Command along the river and onto the flyover towards the race course. Thereafter up the AJC Bose Road flyover and up the No.4 bridge. Drive to Science City connector, left on the EM bypass and then towards Salt Lake, New Town or something like that. Then back to the bypass and straight towards Ruby Hospital and right onto the Kasba Connector on to Ballygunge Phari. Then up the flyovers again and back to Eastern Command. I think that'll be the basic route.

But I hope that the bypass stretch is limited. The surface on the stretch is pathetic and will be hard on the cars.

I would think a much better route would be to take the flyover, go to Science City and do a roundabout and come back the same way and hit Ballygunge and drive upto phari, turn back and get on to Gurusaday Road and go along AJC Bose Road, and head towards Alipore but turn right towards Victoria and have a blast down the entire Maidan Stretch and go along Eden Gardens etc. on Strand Bank Road along the river and back into Eastern Command. Maximum visibilty and decent roads.

Regards
mbz180

Quote:

Originally Posted by avishar (Post 2621064)
Even if it cannot be entered in the competition,do bring it anyway if you can,so someone us can have a nice look at the car.:)

Sure will try and do that,around 11:30

Hey Kolkata Petrol Heads.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on Sat for the Concours Judging and Sunday for the Rally and events.

Had considered entering my 62 Fiat 1100 deluxe, checked with the Chief Judge as they are restricting cars to 1500cc or over. If it had been Italian Built, no problem, but alas it was Indian built with the Deluxe trim imported and fitted up. So i'll bring it along and maybe on Saturday park it on the field.

There will be a few new cars this year that will add a lot of Sizzle!

My mobile is 98-3602-1441 if anyone wants to contact me.

John

Good to hear that some new cars shall be seen.

Hope this years the so called Knowledgeable Judges know a little more about Vintage and Classic cars and there is justice in their judgement and not like the last couple of years!!:Frustrati

Unfortunately, shall miss the Rally as will be out of the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkol (Post 2625635)
Unfortunately, shall miss the Rally as will be out of the country.

Hi Adkol, nice to see some posts from you. Sad you are going to miss this rally. Hopefully I can make it next year with you !

Cheers

KPS