Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 17:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekhiv View Post
The last thing i'd want is to go behind this all guns blazing and then reach an unfortunate stage of having to stall it at a later date.
I really enjoy seeing such finds! You've made my day, thanks!

From the pics, I'd say it's very doable! Do take inputs from others here by all means, but still be a little circumspect about what you hear from certain quarters. Not all the experts here are all that they are made out to be. And, if you wish, get in touch with me through PM and I'll put you in touch with the right professionals to help you with the restoration, without making you break the bank! But it'll still cost a lakh or two (at the very least depending on parts that have to be procured) for a reasonable quality job, not the kinds (some of them, i.e.) that you'll notice on the forum. Please note: I have no commercial interest in your restoration, nor do I have any interest in promoting myself in any way. And, I'm certainly no expert, but I do know a few who are, and love to drop names (and live in reflected glory)!!!!

Edit:
And yes, as rightly pointed out by some, don't be in haste to move her out - strap at least a couple of strong, long, flat and broad logs under the floor and push her out, instead of lifting her, even if pushing her on to a flat-bed. The logs (or beams) should be like a brace that doesn't allow the body to flex.

Last edited by Prabal : 21st February 2012 at 17:12.
Old 21st February 2012, 18:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ayyo saar, the rims are not padmini but HERALD!!
Looking more closely I see I could be wrong, they do look a bit different from Herald rims! But definitely British car ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
About the rims, why were these changed? Normally rims were changed when the tyre became unavailable, not because of worn rims. Many cars were modified because of this, and many cars were scrapped because of this.
Yes, this was a common reason too, one of my neighbours had a Topo in the late 60s, when itself it was difficult to procure the original tyres. So he had different rims (maybe similar to these) fitted, for which he had to 'trim' the mudguard.
Old 21st February 2012, 20:37   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekhiv View Post
Thanks to all those who have replied to my thread. All the advise is much appreciated and I guess I have to assess whether i'd like to put time, effort (and money) behind a restoration of this magnitude.

In terms of price, i think the car as is can be bought for next to nothing - probably a few thousand rupees. Will have to check the extent of orignal engine parts but have been told that this was a daily runner before it was parked and never started again (also in a relatively secure spot so no concern of any parts being pilfered or stolen for sure). My concerns are of course primarily about the engine and to a lesser extent about getting the body back in good nick.

I'd love a reasonable sense - maybe from Pavan given he's clearly spent a lot of time on his 500 - on what it would cost (very very ball park) and on any complete red herring such as the infamous head! The last thing i'd want is to go behind this all guns blazing and then reach an unfortunate stage of having to stall it at a later date.

Hi Buddy.

Based on the current condition of the car, i will provide you the Estimate

1) Complete Body work - Approx = 75,000/-

2) Paintjob - Approx = 50,000/-

3) Upholstery - Approx = 22,000/-

4) Wiring - Approx = 20,000/-

5) Spares - ( The topolino i am doing gulped spares worth 1.50 lacs, imported from Switzerland, Trust me, this is THE ONLY PLACE where u can get the right spares)

6) Mechanicals - Approx = 50,000/-

Do your general math and check if you are OK with the above.

Later decide if its worth taking a plunge

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st February 2012 at 20:46.
Old 21st February 2012, 23:25   #19
BANNED

Further to what i have mentioned above, expect the cost variation by 25% to 30% for Bangalore standards, Not sure about other qualified restorers in your city. Many so called experts in the country or the so called Topolino experts stayed away from helping inspite of a possibility. If not for BEHRAM DHABAR's help, and of course my Mechanic's ( AANJINEYELU ) patience and perseverance, this project would have been IMPOSSIBLE

I would not like to give you a rosy picture as others are infact portraying, Trust me, this particular car is a Restorer's nightmare. I am saying this out of outright experience since the last 2 years, and i am still far from completing it.

No worries about pulling the car out... Just drag it out, since this car is Body over Chassis and they are rigid enough to hold themselves inspite of its age. I have a similar car in the same state or even worse than the one you have shown, its moved from Hyderabad to Bangalore and 3 different places since its here. Its holding up well.

Just pull out the car from there, assess your Time + Money + Patience components and jump into the mad mad world of Restoration

All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks