Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 13:11   #1
BHPian

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500

Can anyone help me identify this car and also comment on whether it would make sense as a restoration project!! (I know... crazy but itching to do something like this)
Attached Thumbnails
Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100139.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100140.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100141.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100142.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100143.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100144.jpg  

Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500-img2012021100145.jpg  

rekhiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:21   #2
BHPian

re: Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500

its a fiat 500 C
could be between 1953 or 1954
xtreme power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes it does look like a Fiat 500 'Topolino' built anytime between 1949-1955. Its basically a 2 seater with 16.5 Bhp 569 cc engine. However restoring this, looking at its current state, will be a mammoth task.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:51   #4
BHPian

Looks like a Topolino. There is another thread in the forum about restoring it. Check this and this.

Probably the first one (1950s). The 1936 one has a different grill/face. The condition of the car looks horrible though.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 20th February 2012 at 13:56. Reason: Adding links.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Looking at the condition, I won't recommend it for a restoration project. I think getting all the missing parts and putting the things together is a herculean task, unless you are a die-hard fan of vintage fiats. I would have taken it as a restoration project in case the car was Bugatti.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

The car is a Fiat 500c. Seems like the car has been sitting for quite some time. It needs extensive bodywork. It will be a good project, provided you are willing to work very hard on it. Check if it has the original engine, and also, check the paperwork. All the best!
Old 20th February 2012, 15:35   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekhiv View Post
Can anyone help me identify this car and also comment on whether it would make sense as a restoration project!! (I know... crazy but itching to do something like this)

Ooh la la

There are few movies that FLOP the day they are made, Even an ace movie maker like Karan Johar will find it a herculean task to re-do it / produce & Direct a Sequel to the movie Ra.ONE

Considering the rims are already from the Premier Padmini, i doubt this car will have too much of originality left in it. But for all its worth, please check the engine and papers.

Firstly this car is known for its notorious engine head. it took a year for my mechanic and a lot of money to get it running.

Secondly, Spares are hell lot expensive, A simple point-condencer set costs Rs.4600/-

Third and not the least. The body shell is beyond repair.

All the best and do keep us updated about this find.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 20th February 2012 at 15:38.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 19:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Please identify this Car? Restoration potential? EDIT : It's a Fiat 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Considering the rims are already from the Premier Padmini, i doubt this car will have too much of originality left in it. But for all its worth, please check the engine and papers.
Ayyo saar, the rims are not padmini but HERALD!!
Looks like it was common for Topos to be fitted with these rims when the originals were done for. Seen quite a few with these.

As for the car, as others say, bodily it seems in very bad shape. The rear seems to have caved in?

But you never know...!

Do keep us updated nevertheless.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car is very badly rusted and may collapse if you try to remove it. Maybe you have it checked by a denter at site and ask him his opinion.
About the rims, why were these changed? Normally rims were changed when the tyre became unavailable, not because of worn rims. Many cars were modified because of this, and many cars were scrapped because of this.
Hope the cars future can be secured.

Cheers harit
Old 21st February 2012, 12:40   #10
BHPian

True, many times wheels were changed on these Topolinos, and bike tyres fitted cause availabilities of the tyres were a problem.
Body looks beyond repair, bet the flooring will be in real bad shape or even non existent
regards

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st February 2012 at 18:00. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think this far is definitely restorable, not really that bad. I have seen worse cars restored. If the car comes for a reasonable cost I would not hesitate to restore her :-) do pick her up. Rims can be imported.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Third and not the least. The body shell is beyond repair.
I would beg to differ from you on this. This car is still in very much restorable shape. But things might collapse if the car is moved from its place as rightly said by Harit sir above. but This car seems to be a convertible. The main problem in the body restoration is with the roof collapsing and not being able to put the structure back properly but then i guess that shouldn't be a concern here. There was this car for example where the roof had big holes in it, no flooring in the car at all, The door frames had also almost disappeared in to dust, that extent the body work has been done on that car, then this car is in far better condition than that car. It took a long time and lots of money but it was done.

The project will need lots of money to be put into it. But then if its all about the love and if rekhiv is willing to do it and he finds a capable person who can do a great job then there is nothing like it. My advice is first decide if you want to restore this car. If yes then buy it and then find someone to restore it. You can build the car over a long period of time by staggering the money over and not having to spend in one go. Engine no doubt is notorious but then nothing like it cannot be fixed or something. Parts are expensive but thankfully still available.The car seems to have alot of surface rust on the main body but things like the running boards and lower door sills are completely corroded. The flooring i would think would be in a bad shape as well. Do check if the meters are intact, the engine and gearbox are original, carburetor, dynamo, starter and everything is there. If those things are not there you can negotiate on the price on the basis of that.

My 2 cents what ever its worth.

Regards

Indrojit

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 21st February 2012 at 15:38.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:00   #13
BHPian

Thanks to all those who have replied to my thread. All the advise is much appreciated and I guess I have to assess whether i'd like to put time, effort (and money) behind a restoration of this magnitude.

In terms of price, i think the car as is can be bought for next to nothing - probably a few thousand rupees. Will have to check the extent of orignal engine parts but have been told that this was a daily runner before it was parked and never started again (also in a relatively secure spot so no concern of any parts being pilfered or stolen for sure). My concerns are of course primarily about the engine and to a lesser extent about getting the body back in good nick.

I'd love a reasonable sense - maybe from Pavan given he's clearly spent a lot of time on his 500 - on what it would cost (very very ball park) and on any complete red herring such as the infamous head! The last thing i'd want is to go behind this all guns blazing and then reach an unfortunate stage of having to stall it at a later date.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to note here is how much original the car is. Getting all those original stuff needs a lot of time and money. Some time you cannot get that invaluable part. So it makes sense to buy if the car has lots of original stuff. You can very well restore the body work.

The only advice if you buy the car do not cut corners on restorer expenditure. Go with a reputed guy. Else your car will not see the dawn (it can provided you take this as a day job )
Old 21st February 2012, 16:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I second with what Amol & Indrojit said, the car can be brought back to life if you are ready to spend ample amount of time, energy & off course money. Its a good project for a professional restorer who has his own competent workforce. Such amount of bodywork and mechanicals will be hard for any average classic car mechanic. I think Mr. Dhawan can help/ guide in the restoration, if the car is in Delhi.
BTW there's a good condition Fiat 500 lying at a garage here, will click some pics when i visit the old area.

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st February 2012 at 16:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks