Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 16:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Tweety bird tells me, a dodge kingsway convertible is getting dressed up for the next auction.

Any guesses ??
Doubt it.

But, they do have a TATA Nano painted by Bose Krishnamachari, offered at NO RESERVE.
Attached Thumbnails
Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-saffronart_tata_nano.jpg  

RollingArt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 18:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Tweety bird tells me, a dodge kingsway convertible is getting dressed up for the next auction.

Any guesses ??
Tweety bird told me that you are in the running for the Bose Krishnamachari Nano I am curious to see which ultimately fetches more money the nano or the dodge.

Last edited by the mole : 11th July 2013 at 18:06.
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 20:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post

Doubt it.

But, they do have a TATA Nano painted by Bose Krishnamachari, offered at NO RESERVE.
Aha I see shades of blue ? Or is the colour changed

There seem to be a pair

Cheers
Old 12th July 2013, 09:49   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Really delighted to read about this. It's high time trading of vintage cars became more organised and a platform such as this opens the market up to a much wider audience. This is great news and congrats to the organisers.

Vintage car pricing is a very dynamic game abroad and many factors affect it. Invariably what price a car eventually sells at is often governed by how many people are in the bidding and how badly they want the car.

To pass judgement on the final buyer as being ill informed and hasty is presumptuous I feel as obviously there were other bidders willing to play the pricing game that it eventually went to the level it sold at.

There are no rules on perceptions and how prospective buyers behave at an auction.

While some here feel the buyer has made a mistake it just may be the other way around. He has bought a car which possibly a couple more people were bidding on ie were interested in to want to pay prices higher than reserve. When you have a couple of people bidding close to a price before it goes to the highest bidder it's fair to say that collectively more people perceived value to the purchase. The parameters they applied may or may not be in line with traditional evaluation parameters an enthusiast may apply.

I am not for a moment commenting that the price is right or wrong. I just feel that this new breed of owners will be paying prices which most likely reflect a market sentiment in terms of perceived value (going by a number of bidders)

Compared to how trades have been taking place historically in India I would personally prefer auction houses to get established doing regular business and evolving a healthy pricing platform via the bidding process.

Ultimately price is what the market pays. And if there are more players getting into the buying mode the pricing will tend to go up. It's a healthy sign and definitely a welcome change

I really look forward to this.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Tweety bird told me that you are in the running for the Bose Krishnamachari Nano I am curious to see which ultimately fetches more money the nano or the dodge.
Tweety says, the estimated price for the Dodge is higher than the Nano. However Rollingart doubts that the Dodge will be on the block. Rollingart being somehow connected to the auction house, one must believe that tweety being off the scene for a while may have got confused.

Personally, I would still go by what Tweety says, especially because this Dodge tried to get dressed for the last auction but failed to get ready in time.

The Dodge, freshly painted blue as Kasli states, is one of a pair. Perhaps thats why the owner has decided to part with it.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 13:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doubt it.

This Nano went for 15L+ including taxes!!! So much for Mr. Ratan Tata's $2000 car with a Bose "Colours of India" worth $20000.
scooby05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:19   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
This Nano went for 15L+ including taxes!!! So much for Mr. Ratan Tata's $2000 car with a Bose "Colours of India" worth $20000.
Wooh..*whistle*! That is some value for art! Maybe I ought to do a Bose Krishnamachari (same surname anyways! ) and buy a Nano (incidentally my house owners have a silver one that I might try and get cheaper! ), give it some kind of artistic touch and sell it for a fortune!
Old 31st July 2013, 15:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Yes! that was expected. Though personally i would have a Bose on a Wall than on my car. Just easier to look after it that way. i was participating in the auction and it sure did pick up in the last hour. Is the car now in your garage

Last edited by the mole : 31st July 2013 at 15:10.
Old 31st July 2013, 15:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes! that was expected. Though personally i would have a Bose on a Wall than on my car. Just easier to look after it that way. i was participating in the auction and it sure did pick up in the last hour. Is the car now in your garage
Amol, the real surprise is the racing bullock cart without the wheels for 12.50L, and the replica Penny Farthing for 8L !!!
My M&W Tea service just became more valuable!!.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 23:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More Info:
This nano car hand painted with automotive paint by Mr Bose Krishnamachari, in two days beginning February 24,2013 and named as Striped Bodies, pegged as the country's first "art car" has gone under the hammer for over Rs. 13 lakh in a recent online auction.
The outlandish-looking multi-colour "Maximum Nano" fetched the Kochi Biennale Foundation (KBF) a total of Rs. 13,01,402 (USD 22,438) after a 24-hour-long online bidding by Saffronart on July 30.
The car was donated by Coffee Beanz, Kochi and Le Gallery 360, Trivandrum. Who bid this amount and obtained this car is not yet disclosed by the bidding agency Saffronet.
Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-nano.jpg
picture courtesy; Asian Age

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd August 2013 at 00:08.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:30   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
...pegged as the country's first "art car" ...
Hmmmmm... a post in another thread just reminded me of these. Quite similar in size and presentation too. I guess the question is; do you have to be a famous artist in order to paint an "art car"?

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-2244577604_01b0e7feb0_o.jpg
Image source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 17:36.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hmmmmm... cya R
Well, well, hmmmmm

The Reva on the extreme right is significant. Our Premier taxi's are beng replaced mainly by Santros, the Reva could be a better choice. No pollution, and space in the boot. I can't understand why CNG Santros ply at all. A taxi should be a 4door sedan with a boot with space.

I do believe that neither the Nano nor these Reva's are the real deal, Hussein had painted a white Premier 1100 or a 118NE and it was used on Mumbai's roads, probably till it rusted away. Being a "Hussein", that car could have been worth silly money.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the question is; do you have to be a famous artist in order to paint an "art car"?
No, you just need to be talented thats all. Having a famous artist paint an "art car" does help in the marketing and premium pricing though
Old 8th August 2013, 20:46   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, well, hmmmmm

Hussein had painted a white Premier 1100 or a 118NE and it was used on Mumbai's roads, probably till it rusted away. Being a "Hussein", that car could have been worth silly money.

Cheers harit
Here is the earlier posting courtesy "the mole" - Post 3605+ in the Fiat Classic Car Club thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2385891

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-hussein-fiat1.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 23:23   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you have to be a famous artist in order to paint an "art car"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hussein had painted a white Premier 1100 or a 118NE and it was used on Mumbai's roads, probably till it rusted away. Being a "Hussein", that car could have been worth silly money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
No, you just need to be talented thats all. Having a famous artist paint an "art car" does help in the marketing and premium pricing though
More than the artist the function was important here for the nano that fetched Rs 13 Lakhs. The Kochi Muziris Biennale, an exhibition of contemporary art that was held in Kochi was India's first ever Biennale.
The shows were held in existing galleries and halls, and site-specific installations in public spaces, heritage buildings and disused structures.
The Kochi-Muziris Biennale sought to invoke the historic cosmopolitan legacy of the modern metropolis of Kochi, and its mythical predecessor, the ancient port of Muziris.
In May 2010 Mumbai based contemporary artists of Kerala origin, Bose Krishnamachari and Riyas Komu were approached by, the then culture minister of Kerala to start an international art project in the state. Acknowledging the lack of an international platform for contemporary art in India, Bose and Riyas proposed a biennale a large scale international exhibition in Kochi on the lines of Venice Biennale.
This made the way for the Nano Art Car.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th August 2013 at 23:26.

Most Viewed