Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2013, 10:52   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Here are few more of pictures of Hussein's paintings on cars , must have been posted earlier too on the Forum.

Also find the link to the pictures here :

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en...0&tx=123&ty=38

http://www.mid-day.com/specials/2011...-at-Husain.htm

http://gallerychanakya.com/MFhussain.aspx

Cheers
Kartik
Attached Thumbnails
Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-husain20_060911021030.jpg  

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-husainpic.jpg  

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-car.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 14:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Here are few more of pictures of Hussein's paintings on cars
The third picture is MF husains own car. He drove around it in the early 70's with the painting on it.
Old 9th August 2013, 15:37   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Here are few more of pictures of Hussein's paintings on cars , must have been posted earlier too on the Forum.
Thanks, I remember reading an article mentioning that in the Delhi museum there is a derelict Ambassador painted by him on display. The article even mentioned the regn number as BMU 4967 - which couldn't be an Ambassador, so it was probably this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The third picture is MF husains own car. He drove around it in the early 70's with the painting on it.
Both cars were apparently his own.

This link http://gallerychanakya.com/MFhussain.aspx also mentions "...had a collection of classic and sports cars" - can anyone recall which cars?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 15:57   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
"...had a collection of classic and sports cars" - can anyone recall which cars?
Most recent acquisition being the Bugatti Veyron.

More info here

Attaching a few more pics of the Nano too... (more/source)

cya
R

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-bose-1000219_654869807870202_349244964_n.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-bose-1005911_654869577870225_689117526_n.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 13:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
This Nano went for 15L+ including taxes!!! So much for Mr. Ratan Tata's $2000 car with a Bose "Colours of India" worth $20000.
Congratulations Scooby,

Bose on the walls, and now a Bose in the garage.

tell me, does it come with a life time guarantee for paint defects??

Hope to see it on our next trip to Mahableshwar!
Bulldogji is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 02:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An interview quoted the Mercedes India head as saying they have a large stock of vintage cars.

What would be a realistic, reasonable price?

Nevertheless, do allow me to put forth my point of view : I have been looking out for a W126 and at one time in 2009, actively so. I even drove all the way to Pune to check out an example. Now, W126's go for what....3 - 5 lakhs? If I were to come across a car that:

- I can buy from the convenience of my computer with zero time wasted
- Is reasonably restored (or in good condition)
- Has clear paperwork
- Is running perfectly as of date

I'd be willing to pay 10 - 12 lakhs for it. Now, it may seem like the car is overpriced, but to me, I've saved a hell of a lot of time making calls, on the road to check out cars, haggling with dealers & sellers, finding good body shops, sourcing parts and restoring it. Personally, I would consider this money well spent. On a related note, if a regular Joe hears what I've spent on my Jeep in the last 10 years, he'd . Ask me if I regret it? Not in this life, atleast.
What type of W126 are you looking for? here in Australia these magnificent cars are worthless. I have a 100,000 mile 1980 380SE ( really early example with leather interior,power seats ,aircon but no cruise and no ABS) theat i bought to wreck. it's so nice i kept it..v And my younger brother has a 1983 380SEC with low mileage that he never drives (too busy with work and and walks to everywhere..) both were bought for very little money here > i can find all sorts including the highway road burner 560SEL's. I only wish i could buy some of the prewar mercedes I see on here in India..
Old 30th August 2013, 15:38   #82
Team-BHP Support

Next up for SaffronArt : A live auction of 2 of Sachin Tendulkar's BMWs (X5 & M5).

More info

cya
R
Old 30th August 2013, 16:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Next up for SaffronArt : A live auction of 2 of Sachin Tendulkar's BMWs (X5 & M5). cya R
What "ART" is involved here? Any panel painted by anyone? Actually its just celebrity cars being auctioned, they hope to get a premium, if these were to be sold as used cars, depciated value would be very low. Signature Palio's in yellow did not sell well, I believe that the last cars were sold without a premium, or even under the sticker price.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 11:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
What "ART" is involved here? Any panel painted by anyone? Actually its just celebrity cars being auctioned, they hope to get a premium, if these were to be sold as used cars, depciated value would be very low. Signature Palio's in yellow did not sell well, I believe that the last cars were sold without a premium, or even under the sticker price.

Cheers harit
They have some ridiculous Expected prices!! God Bless, nearly double the real worth.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 17:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
They have some ridiculous Expected prices!! God Bless, nearly double the real worth.
WELL,

prices are considered reasonable by some, ridiculous by others, always depending on how badly one wants to buy something!

This auction house has demonstrated just that over and over again.

If someone wants to pay big bucks to place his posterior where Sachin's previously sat , why not???

There is an old saying, a XXXX and his money is soon parted.
Bulldogji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 18:46   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, after seeing the prices, I think the starting price (at least for the F10 M5) is quite decent. It's only run 1,000 km.

Being discussed in this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3229935

cya
R
Old 9th September 2013, 21:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
WELL,

prices are considered reasonable by some, ridiculous by others, always depending on how badly one wants to buy something!

This auction house has demonstrated just that over and over again.

If someone wants to pay big bucks to place his posterior where Sachin's previously sat , why not???

There is an old saying, a XXXX and his money is soon parted.
Sad part is when you have to contend with living and existing amongst a majority of XXXX , cowboys, mostly their blind followers, their parrots that make up the bulk of everyone in the environment, not to mention significant other logical types who just keep their head down in quietness

Last edited by canonball : 9th September 2013 at 21:37.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 16:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

Finally the car comes home. And am so happy to own her.
Attached Thumbnails
Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-maximum_nano.jpg  

scooby05 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 17:21   #89
BHPian

Hi Scooby

Any plan to put a clear coat or some sort of protection for the (expensive) paint job?
Any touch-ups may spoil the authenticity.

Will it be in use, at least once in a while? Hope to see it up close.
Old 13th September 2013, 20:36   #90
BHPian

Congratulations!!

Please do not park your investment under a tree, even for a photo shoot. Crows and Pigeons do not appreciate Mr Bose's creation

When do we get to see ? How about a dinner to celebrate, but on condition that we all pay
Bulldogji is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks