Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:11   #1

Austin 8 register is searching for Indian Eights !!

Hi,

I am Hermann Egges from Holland. I am searching for the surviving Austin Eights. Since I know these Austin Eights have been exported to India as well, I wonder how many Eights will be up and running in India. I am not only looking after Austin Eights in India, but am looking for all existing Austin Eights in the world. If you own an Austin 8, please feel free to contact me. More information can be found on the Austin 8 web page as well: Austin 8 history - History & register of the Austin Eight or via e-mail autsineightregister@gmail.com

I myself own an Austin two door four light saloon build in 1939.

Austin 8 register is searching for Indian Eights !!-austin20193920eight20fourlight20saloon20001530.jpg

Kind Regards

Hermann Egges

Austineightregister@gmial.com

Austin 8 history - History & register of the Austin Eight

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2012 at 12:27. Reason: Please upload pictures to the Team-BHP server. Do see the Announcements section for a guide on how to upload images. Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Austin 8 register is searching for Indian Eights !!

Welcome aboard Herman. There were and still are a fairly large number of pre and post war Austins in India, especially 8s. Do you have any official figures on how many were exported/assmebled here?

Here are some existing threads on Austin 8s.

A great job on bringing this forlorn 8 back to life.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...-pictures.html (Austin-8 restoration pictures)

One in Nagpur, India, though needing some TLC.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...ustin-8-a.html

This one from New Zealand.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyon...storation.html (1939 Austin 8 restoration)
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I too extend my hearty welcome Herman on board. The Austin 8 is also a car very dear to me. My granduncle owned one for many years at Nagpur. The one you see in my posts is BYJ 288, whereas my granduncle's car was a black Austin 8 with the registration number BYJ 173. I had many, many rides on this car during my childhood and was then too small to drive it. It had original factory fitted leather seats (dark brown in colour) and upholstery, with as I can remember door pockets for the two front doors to keep papers. The car was extremely reliable and well maintained by my grand uncle. The car was fitted with white wall India Super tyres that were later changed over to Inchek, both brands of yore. I have very pleasant memories of this car.
I am not sure whether this car still exists. In all probability it may have been junked.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd July 2012 at 23:08.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:30   #4
BHPian

heres my austin 8.......
Attached Thumbnails
Austin 8 register is searching for Indian Eights !!-198599_10150191304018109_7823744_n.jpg  

calrock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 00:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
heres my austin 8.......
Was this owned by Mr. Gautam Mukherjee of Calcutta?
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:51   #6
BHPian

yes sir. its currently in mangalore
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I too extend my hearty welcome Herman on board. The Austin 8 is also a car very dear to me. My granduncle owned one for many years at Nagpur. The one you see in my posts is BYJ 288, whereas my granduncle's car was a black Austin 8 with the registration number BYJ 173. I had many, many rides on this car during my childhood and was then too small to drive it. It had original factory fitted leather seats (dark brown in colour) and upholstery, with as I can remember door pockets for the two front doors to keep papers. The car was extremely reliable and well maintained by my grand uncle. The car was fitted with white wall India Super tyres that were later changed over to Inchek, both brands of yore. I have very pleasant memories of this car.
I am not sure whether this car still exists. In all probability it may have been junked.
Hi Anjan, thanks for your post. If you have any further details or info about this car, please let me know via austineightregister@gmail.com. I have heard from many others that the Eight seemed to be a very reliabale car. Good to hear you have good memories regarding the Austin Eight. Would be great to find out if the car you are taliking about is still existing.

Kindest Regards

Hermann Egges (Austin Eight Register)

Hi Calrock, what a wonderfull Austin Eight Tourer that is. Please share the car details with the register. You can download the register form here: Austin 8 register - History & register of the Austin Eight

Please fill in the register form and send it to austineightregister@gmail.com

Also feel free to join Austin 8 history - History & register of the Austin Eight

Registration is free of charge.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th August 2012 at 00:35. Reason: Consecutive posts
Ausie-8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks