Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 12:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally

The last lot of the cars. Some nice big cars leaving the ground one after the other. It looks like the big cars parked in the shade on one side, and the convertible and some othercars had to go to the far end. And thats what I missed clicking. Karl whats the car next to the Daimler?
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_135902-1931-ford-nitin-dossa-gjb-3862.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_140215-bmu-1933-rolls-royce-pranlal-bhogilal.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_140450-mmf-1929-packard-pranlal-bhogilal.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_140648-mrg-7700-bentley-pranlal-bhogilal.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_140926-apx-2522-cheverolet-sedan.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_141158-austin-8.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-bmx-62xx-dinyar-jamshedji-rr-1938-silver-wraith-1928-ford-harish-solanki-bmw-6241.jpg  

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20110222_141558-daimler-tarik-gore.jpg  

deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 12:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta

How's this for comparison?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...ml#post1101162

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-bombay20rr20pii20maybe20cropped.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 12:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yes now they match, whats the history of the car and who owns it now.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:32   #34
BHPian

Karl, you have compared the Bhogilal Rolls with the P2 belonging to the Modi family, currently in Delhi. If you observe carefully there are differences. The most obvious one? The overall height of the car. Notice the size of the front windshield of the Modi Rolls. It is much larger than Bhogilals. Wasif, these are two different cars with two different owners. The Modi rolls was cosmetically done by Manvinder many years back. Subsequently the car had problems with the cylinder head which was ultimately replaced by a locally fabricated one. Used to be parked at their house on Amrita Shergill Marg and taken out once in a while.The picture posted by Karl shows the car at a petrol pump near their residence, with a lovely Beetle in the background, lovingly owned and maintained by a Sikh gentleman, member of HMCI.
Bulldogji is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 13:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

LOL..so they are not the same but very close in looks.....That Rolls in question has to be from the Bhogilal collection seeing that its parked with his other cars so which one is it ?
Old 17th October 2012, 14:14   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl, you have compared the Bhogilal Rolls with the P2 belonging to the Modi family, currently in Delhi. If you observe carefully there are differences. The most obvious one? The overall height of the car. Notice the size of the front windshield of the Modi Rolls. It is much larger than Bhogilals.
The Modi car did give me the impression of being taller, though since both images are from different distances and perspectives, I gave it benefit of doubt. The doors, hinges, window frames etc seem to line up (which they don't in comparison to the Bhogilal cars compared, though there may be more).

Can you hazard a guess which is the Rolls in question? Is it definitely not a Bhogilal car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Karl whats the car next to the Daimler?
Appears to be the Chevrolet Tourer, MRF, mentioned by you as Hemant Merchant.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th October 2012 at 14:30. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 17th October 2012, 14:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appears to be the Chevrolet Tourer, MRF, mentioned by you as Hemant Merchant.
yep. What about this? First lot 7th pic. Seem to have missed a full photo.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-20121017_140101.jpg  

Old 17th October 2012, 14:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Modi rolls was cosmetically done by Manvinder many years back. Subsequently the car had problems with the cylinder head which was ultimately replaced by a locally fabricated one. Used to be parked at their house on Amrita Shergill Marg and taken out once in a while.The picture posted by Karl shows the car at a petrol pump near their residence, with a lovely Beetle in the background, lovingly owned and maintained by a Sikh gentleman, member of HMCI.
Expert opinion is that the Black & White R-R in the 1988 Rally picture is / was (in 1982) also a Modi car. Ex-Patiala Phantom II Chassis 74-GY.

I am not sure that the comparison in Post 32 (with USL-1638) shows the same car. 74-GY originally had a rear mounted spare; and possibly no louvres on the bonnet sides.

USL-1638 has dual side mounts (unless it is a later modification). Also USL-1638 seems to have a more pronounced swaging on top of the front wings. Plus the difference in the deeper windshield mentioned before.

Love to hear from the experts that have seen these cars!

Last edited by travancore : 17th October 2012 at 15:11.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 23:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen the BLB registered Model A Ford .......... similar PNF car we know today as Babloo's car, though mentioned here are Bagri. Also not seen the MRF registered Chevy before, though Harit remembers it well. And does that Dodge survive in Bombay?
......... Any pictures of the green Beetle convertible seen the back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

This 1932 Dodge is so very similar to my 1932 Plymouth........Major difference would be that the engine in the Dodge is a 6 cylinder whilst in my Plymouth is the last of the 4 cylinders. Where is this Dodge now? Cheers KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Karl, I'll try and find out who was driving the BLB ford. I think Babloo may have bought PNF 75 later? ........I can try a fresh scan with the beetle........ KPS have really no idea where the dodge is now. Maybe Harit will tell. ........Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Would one of you stalwarts be able to tell me which this two tone R-R is ? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks like the one in teh Bhogilal Museum that now sports that Tri Color paint job
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Correct Ex Jaipur car . Has some really unique features for driver to owner communication on the dash and extra lights etc.
Cheers
Quote:
How's this for comparison?.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes now they match, whats the history of the car and who owns it now.
Hi guys enjoying old pictures? Just before I left on my trip I also received a set of approx 50 pics of an old IARC event of which I will post some when I find them. Wify did spring cleaning in my absence. But all very very interesting. And just note how we lose track of cars and history.

Comments from post #20 onwards:
The BLB Ford A was restored by a garage owner at Khedwadi called Pednekar, aka Dada. This car was sold almost immediately after this rally for a high price at that time and went into the Maharashtra country side. Helping Pednekar was Solanki. This Pednekar also did work on the Styer.
The PNF car is Babloos, at one time it was lying in the Jeep showroom of Dadajee Dhakjee at Worli, could be seen from the road.
The green beetle was (99%) a chop job, one could ask Mr. Thakur.
The red Austin 7 is a boat-tail car. MRF Chevy tourer was a Malabar Hill car. Mr. Merchant has not been taking part in rallies since years, but I understand that the car is being maintained.
The Lancia should be Mallya's because I don't remember any Pranlal Lambda taking part in rallies.
The Dodge, for all those who want to know, is a one owner car, still in Mumbai, and belongs to an enthusiast who kept this Jewel hidden quite well. And she sports a 4 cylinder engine, very very rare car, and is probably RHD. Real Cartier material for rarity.

In the next set of pictures post #24, the Padmini probably gave the Wolesley a tow start. The yellow tourer is a Ford A restored by Solanki for brothers I don't wish to name. They also owned a biggish postwar Austin. The car was from Gujrat.

The Rolls-Royce has not been identified correctly by anybody. I don't remember the Maharaja who owned her, but the car belongs to Sanghi. For this event Sanghi had brought two cars to Mumbai. This car ran very badly, noise like a BMC truck. Restoration was more cosmetic. I have photos of this car on Mumbai streets, and I forgot which was the second car he brought. Maybe when I see my pictures I will remember, which leads me to believe that some more participating cars have been left out.

Post #31 pic #5, I believe that the APX Chevy sedan which was a fantastic restoration (atleast looked like one then) has rotted into the ground at Chembur.
Pic #6 is the Morris tourer of Dharmendra Vallabhdas, who also used this car not unlike Bulldogji and really loved life, his drives with friends in this car went to the country side beyond Jhanjeera regularly. The engine in this car was not original. The Austin behind may have been the one belonging to the collection on Peddar Road.

Howzat?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 17th October 2012 at 23:56.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 07:06   #40
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Dodge, for all those who want to know, is a one owner car, still in Mumbai, and belongs to an enthusiast who kept this Jewel hidden quite well. And she sports a 4 cylinder engine, very very rare car, and is probably RHD. Real Cartier material for rarity.
Cheers harit
If she has a 4 cylinder engine, she is very rare. Actually I was very surprised when you told about the engine. Google baba also confirms that with the introduction of the Dodge Brothers Victory Six in 1928, 4 cylinder engines were no more an option for Dodge. However the 1932 Dodge also got a Floating Engine and Free Wheeling as standard just like my 1932 Plymouth.

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/m/dd193132.htm
Old 18th October 2012, 09:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Hi guys enjoying old pictures? Just before I left on my trip I also received a set of approx 50 pics of an old IARC event of which I will post some when I find them. Wify did spring cleaning in my absence. But all very very interesting. And just note how we lose track of cars and history.

Comments from post #20 onwards:
The BLB Ford A was restored by a garage owner at Khedwadi called Pednekar, aka Dada. This car was sold almost immediately after this rally for a high price at that time and went into the Maharashtra country side. Helping Pednekar was Solanki. This Pednekar also did work on the Styer.
The PNF car is Babloos, at one time it was lying in the Jeep showroom of Dadajee Dhakjee at Worli, could be seen from the road.
The green beetle was (99%) a chop job, one could ask Mr. Thakur.
The red Austin 7 is a boat-tail car. MRF Chevy tourer was a Malabar Hill car. Mr. Merchant has not been taking part in rallies since years, but I understand that the car is being maintained.
The Lancia should be Mallya's because I don't remember any Pranlal Lambda taking part in rallies.

In the next set of pictures post #24, the Padmini probably gave the Wolesley a tow start. The yellow tourer is a Ford A restored by Solanki for brothers I don't wish to name. They also owned a biggish postwar Austin. The car was from Gujrat.

The Rolls-Royce has not been identified correctly by anybody. I don't remember the Maharaja who owned her, but the car belongs to Sanghi. For this event Sanghi had brought two cars to Mumbai. This car ran very badly, noise like a BMC truck. Restoration was more cosmetic. I have photos of this car on Mumbai streets, and I forgot which was the second car he brought. Maybe when I see my pictures I will remember, which leads me to believe that some more participating cars have been left out.

Post #31 pic #5, I believe that the APX Chevy sedan which was a fantastic restoration (atleast looked like one then) has rotted into the ground at Chembur.
Pic #6 is the Morris tourer of Dharmendra Vallabhdas, who also used this car not unlike Bulldogji and really loved life, his drives with friends in this car went to the country side beyond Jhanjeera regularly. The engine in this car was not original. The Austin behind may have been the one belonging to the collection on Peddar Road.

Howzat?

Cheers harit
The other car Sanghi participated in was the boat tailed fabrication rolls .image attached

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-image3086883376.jpg

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-image969305910.jpg

PICS : ’88 VCCCI Rally & ’85 IARC Vintage car & motorcycle Fiesta-image3433352141.jpg

Last edited by kasli : 18th October 2012 at 09:10.
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The other car Sanghi participated in was the boat tailed fabrication rolls .image attached
Today morning I remembered that the second car was this boat tailed creation. And I also remembered why it did not get photographed at Bandra. That is because only one Sanghi car ran the route. Even in those days Sanghi's cars were well restored cosmetically, but mechanically they were not so up. Wonder who will restore the mechanicals of the Napiers.

Cheers harit
Old 18th October 2012, 11:25   #43
BHPian

MFA 3474 if I recall was Mallya's car. Is the one ahead of it and partly visible the silver wraith that at one time belonged to Jaydeep Modi? I think this Rolls was ex Calcutta. I had started her up in the early eighties for them. It had a glass partition, a seven seater, behind which was a very badly fitted air conditioner blower and a sony cassette recorder. Harit which Napiers are you talking about??

Last edited by Bulldogji : 18th October 2012 at 11:27.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MFA 3474 ........was Mallya's car. Is the one ahead of it and partly visible the silver wraith .........Harit which Napiers are you talking about??
I don't know the relevance of the ex-Mayurbanj Rolls being posted here. That is now Mallya's. The Silver Wraith is probably Chatterjee/Singhania/Agarwal.

The Napier would actually be Napiers, the expected prize winning entries from the Nizam's collection. Am I the only one who sees a conflict of interest here?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th October 2012 at 12:42.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

The relevance is that its the RR of Mallya & participated in the same event.

The same person who started the RR of Nizam will start the Napiers. Who that person is I dont know ? .

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I don't know the relevance of the ex-Mayurbanj Rolls being posted here. That is now Mallya's. The Silver Wraith is probably Chatterjee/Singhania/Agarwal.

The Napier would actually be Napiers, the expected prize winning entries from the Nizam's collection. Am I the only one who sees a conflict of interest here?

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks