Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 17:56   #151
BHPian

re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

Excuse the little wording, but all the free time I can spare is ON the car rather then writing ABOUT it :-)
The restoration has been going on for quite a while now, but we are proceeding well and I am happy about the results. It is not going to be a concours car, this was never the intention. I'll leave India in a foreseeable future, I fear, but I still want to make the right choices for the car to outlive me (well, in India...).
The quality of primer and colour which have been chosen, the dry sanding to prevent any contact of the metal with water, the replacement of many details that will prolong its life but can't really be seen...cost money but I think was the right decision to take.
The car is worth it, not financially of course (the money spent on it has passed its financial value looong ago) but both emotionally and culturally. Ambassadors are such an integral part of India and the earlier versions are getting rarer it seems. I have seen some loving restorations on this site and think those cars will be saved for generations to come. Now there is, hopefully, one more to stay :-)

The car's original colour was beige. I have chosen to go for a tone of beige that did not exist in the original colour palette but which I found suited it well, Sahara Beige. We have just finished painting the body and I am very happy with the choice; after all working for an Italian company that deals with aesthetics helps, hehe.

There are a few non original details which I have kept, as Karl, Harit, Bulldogji and other kind people have advised me they will help to keep the car running in a easier way (alternator, internal fuel filler, life saving interior fan). Everything else I could find was brought back to 1964/65 standard. And there was A LOT to do: grille, all the windows back to transparent, rubbers, gaskets, quarter window frames, logos, dashboard, removing all air conditioning related and later radio modifications, getting front lights of the correct size ecc.

The engine will be painted racing green again and its ancillaries black, as it appears from the original Mark II brochure. Currently we are dealing with the suspension and the chassis, everything has been dismantled, checked, repaired and painted black. The fuel tank and radiator are being cleaned from the inside, number plates are being re-fabricated in a more period correct fashion and in the right size and the wiring is being worked on.
Chromed parts (104!) have been buffed in in very few cases re-chromed.
I'll keep the interiors as they are. The headlining was good and the seats too. They have been restored by a previous owner keeping the correct pattern, so I won't touch them. Only the insulation and carpets will have to be changed.

I still need YOUR help though:
- the chromed front light rings I have are in a bad shape, I need at least one (the ones with the very thick rim)
- I have the rear lenses, lense supports but desperately look for the original chromed housing with the BIG holes
- anyone has the front and rear windshield rubbers with the grove for the metal trim?
- I still look for the correct buttons for the dashboard
- I'd also need the correct thin black gear-lever knob and, most easily I hope
- the front Ambassador logo (straight)

As you notice, the list is the usual one, more than one person on this forum has been looking for these exact details, as they were clearly frequently changed to make the car look up to date.

Well, I am happy for any suggestion, criticism and help you can give me. I am after all a foreigner and my Hindi is as lousy as the Ambassador's handling, so any Chor Bazaar visit becomes hilariuos

I hope to be able to post more pictures soon, we'll start re-assembling the car on Monday, if all goes according to plan.
Ciao!

Last edited by Philedonos : 16th October 2013 at 18:00.
Philedonos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 17:52   #152
Senior - BHPian

Daniel welcome back the car looks great from the last time I bid it adieu outside the CCI. I think since you are going with the gang to Rajasthan its quite important that you put her on the road quickly and test her out thoroughly. Cosmetics will come along. Who knows you may find stuff even in the smaller towns of Rajasthan. Ambys were much more popular in the North, west and South of the country than the west. I always make it a point to visit some really inane looking shops in these smaller cities. Its sometimes surprising what you land up finding there.
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 18:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

Daniel, yesterday I was really impressed by the result you have achieved on your car. very nice and clean work. I can tell that you have truly had a good eye for detail. Kudos to your restorer also and all the best to you and your car for the forthcoming Rajasthan trip.
Old 10th March 2014, 17:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Daniel is traveling today in an Ambassador
Well, Daniel says it's the best car that he's ever been in
Oh, and he should know, he's been in plenty
I can see the red taillights heading for The Acres
Oh, and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
Well, it looks like Daniel
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-daniel.jpg

Guess I should have come up and said hello....
deutscheafrikar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 15:16   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
(...)
You SHOULD have indeed! Next time I'll chase you if you don't say hello. Italian + Ambassador= James Bond has no chances,
Philedonos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 10:30   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
You SHOULD have indeed! Next time I'll chase you if you don't say hello. Italian + Ambassador= James Bond has no chances,
Er...Daniel, your Ambassador seems to be among the best around, on this forum at least, so how come you've not yet put up a restoration thread? Or did I miss something?
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 13:37   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Er...Daniel, your Ambassador seems to be among the best around, on this forum at least, so how come you've not yet put up a restoration thread? Or did I miss something?
You did indeed :-) You can find the details of the restoration under my thread entitled Daily traffic in a classic car! Ciao
Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 20:43   #158
BHPian

Re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Daniel - It's a FIAT 1100D anyday. As you must have observed the ubiquitous cabs going all over the city, it is easier to drive, park and all said and done, parts and service is still available. Please PM me if you need any more details.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
As far as I know the 1100D was a terrible car. PAL's engineering that went into getting this diesel engine installed was poorly conceived. The engine itself was mated to a very low ratio gearbox and was known for premature seizure and failure. Also the car was so front-heavy that if one wasnt carefull the back would just swing out while taking turns. Two of my friends' dads got suckered into buying that car and neither of them had it more than 6-8 months. Both has engine seizures.
Old 21st March 2014, 20:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
As far as I know the 1100D was a terrible car. PAL's engineering that went into getting this diesel engine installed was poorly conceived. The engine itself was mated to a very low ratio gearbox and was known for premature seizure and failure. Also the car was so front-heavy that if one wasnt carefull the back would just swing out while taking turns. Two of my friends' dads got suckered into buying that car and neither of them had it more than 6-8 months. Both has engine seizures.
1100D diesel;
Since when,you are confusing it with 137D.
Old 21st March 2014, 22:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
As far as I know the 1100D was a terrible car.., POORLY CONCEIVED
If, you think it was awful, think of this, we have had one for 3 decades, no seizure, no nothing. Original engine block + pistons. Unopened engine, to date...from 1972.

It is the 137D, not the 1100D.

The 1100D, well, do I elaborate about its charisma, its character, the very smell of the petrol (aroma, rather), the thin rimmed steering.....well!

A 1100D is THE classic.

That said, I agree, the 137D had its own demerits as well.

Never understood why the Padmini Diesel was 137D, and why the 118NE in Diesel, was the 1.38D.

Cheers!

Note from Mod : Please be courteous to each other. Agreeing to disagree is fine but, please maintain a decorum when doing that. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2014 at 15:22.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 23:25   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Daniel is traveling today in an Amb

assador
Well, Daniel says it's the best car that he's ever been in
Oh, and he should know, he's been in plenty
I can see the red taillights heading for The Acres
Oh, and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
Well, it looks like Daniel
Attachment 1217636

Must like to add the last line from Bernie Taupin's lyrics to the lovely Elton John composition:

"God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes"

Hard to say which is better in your post : the car or the picture!!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st March 2014 at 23:31.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 23:45   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
1100D diesel;
Since when,you are confusing it with 137D.
I stand corrected! I was referring to the 137D. My apologies to you 1100d fans.
Old 29th June 2014, 13:22   #163
Senior - BHPian

Philedonos,

http://udupi.quikr.com/1957-land-mas...AdIdZ171265462
Attached Images

Most Viewed