Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 11:09   #46
BHPian

re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

Hi Bug, If you are talking about BML 7094, this Humber was bought brand new by my relative and was used by him till sold to the present owner, also a friend. It was never a consulate car. Maybe you are confusing this car with another? I was offered the car when the first owners son decided to sell it, but I thought the shape to be rather ugly, and the car was no great shakes where performance was concerned. Of course , these are my views, others may well like the shape and style, beauty always being in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

This Car has been on sale for a very long time. Being a hawk, if restored correctly it would look quite graceful. I personally always thought the better of the lot in the Humbers were the Super Snipe limousines, I am not sure if any survive or even made it to India. But a few of my friends in England have them and they look as graceful as their Rolls Royce and bentley counterparts.
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I know you prefer a classic but how about a air conditioned Nano? Would be the perfect commute
DKG, the Nano is actually the only modern car I would condsider here in India. For me as a foreigner it epitomises India in its clever way of finding alternative solutions. But I have a HUGE dog (Gigante, not Nano in Italian), so we'll have to check if he can fit once he arrives in December :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
...I thought the shape to be rather ugly, and the car was no great shakes where performance was concerned. Of course , these are my views, others may well like the shape and style, beauty always being in the eyes of the beholder.
I agree, it is not the prettiest of cars, but let's be honest, if the other contestants to the most beautiful Goddess are an Ambassador and a Padmini, my role as Paris in the Judgement of Juno, Minerva and Venus is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This Car has been on sale for a very long time. Being a hawk, if restored correctly it would look quite graceful...
Which of the three cars Karl posted are you referring to? I speak about the last one, silver grey with chrome bumpers.
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
Which of the three cars Karl posted are you referring to? I speak about the last one, silver grey with chrome bumpers.
I speak of BML 7094 the Silver Gray car, it was offered to me for 5 lakhs. i dont know what is being asked for it now.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:18   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me as a foreigner it epitomises India in its clever way of finding alternative solutions. But I have a HUGE dog (Gigante, not Nano in Italian), so we'll have to check if he can fit once he arrives in December :-)
The one thing that does surprise one about the Nano is the interior space. You just might be able to fit your dog in. Happy car hunting !
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 10:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I speak of BML 7094 the Silver Gray car, it was offered to me for 5 lakhs. i dont know what is being asked for it now.
Hey Amol, nice seeing you yesterday and good to know we share more than one interest! The car I was offered is BMZ 7386, if I remember well, and it doesn't seem as nice as BML 7094. Should really not cost more than 2lakhs...
Quote:
The one thing that does surprise one about the Nano is the interior space. You just might be able to fit your dog in. Happy car hunting !
He he, you are about to convince me. I could just fit an Isotta Fraschini Mascot on the radiator, cover the seats in shagreen, fit wire wheels and pretend it is Rodolfo Valentino's childhood car ;-) I'll try to find a serious second hand Nano dealer, any ideas who to approach. Always feel as if I had just come out of the jungle when I look for something in Bombay, everything so new to me...
Old 24th November 2012, 10:33   #52
BHPian

You are really pushing me....

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-humber-1949-hawk-mk-3.jpg

vs.

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-tata.jpg
Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 12:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos
You are really pushing me....

vs.
Hi Daniel! I like your humour! if you need one vote to go with the humber than you have my vote! Jump in! 2 lakhs would be the correct price for a car in this condition. Make an offer maybe through some indian friend, as we discussed yesterday white skin will definately attract a premium.
Old 24th November 2012, 16:50   #54
DKG
Senior - BHPian

haha Nano's catching fire is now about as common as wild tigers still roaming Indian streets (many Americans still actually believe that about India)

I think it's a sweet little car and the day I upgrade my Punto to a more interesting hatch (and this is becoming an expensive proposition) I plan on getting a Nano as my go anywhere errand car

With air conditioning, and you need it in India, a brand new Nano would be around 2400000. And if most certainly can fit 4 adults comfortably into it or perhaps a dog or two.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 12:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
haha Nano's catching fire is now about as common as wild tigers still roaming Indian streets (many Americans still actually believe that about India)[...]
With air conditioning, and you need it in India, a brand new Nano would be around 2400000[...]
He he, and I THOUGHT that the tigers would roam free, you destroy dreams DKG! Joking apart, I am actually looking intio the Nano buy, but I'd get it second hand, as I might leave India in less than a year and hence 240.000 are just to much for a (modern) car. Any suggestions of where to get one (ie a reputed dealer)?

On the daily stroll in my area, I spotted this lovely Ambassador, in a colour I find particularly appropriate. Then of course I was told it belongs to Harit
Other than dating octuagenarian Parsi ladies I will now have to make sweet eyes to a BHPian too!

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-amby.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th November 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Fixing attachment
Philedonos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 14:27   #56
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I think you should find some great second hand Nano's if you shop around. Some new car dealers have a used car trade in facility and often that's a reasonably safe place to pick up a good used car from.
Old 25th November 2012, 14:44   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I have to say I would be dissappointed, but you can find some from members themselves right here.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear...qs_button=Find
Old 25th November 2012, 14:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well I have to say I would be dissappointed, but you can find some from members themselves right here.
No worries, Karl, the Fiat/Ambassador/Humber are still my favourites, but I really need a car soon at a realistic price and condition, and if I don't find a vintage one, I'll have to go for a Nano.... Thanks for the link!
Old 30th November 2012, 06:54   #59
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the daily stroll in my area, I spotted this lovely Ambassador, in a colour I find particularly appropriate. Then of course I was told it belongs to Harit
Attachment 1018081
If I am right, Harit is not using the Amby as a daily drive anymore. Further, since you are a going to be in India for a short stay, I would suggest you talk to Harit and hire his car . This way it will be win-win for both. The car will get a regular run and maintenance, whilst it may be easier on your wallet.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:42   #60

We run classic cars in the countryside here all the time, almost as daily drivers! However, this is much harder when you are in the city. The sitting temperature are longer and higher and this (along with fuel consumption) can be the biggest enemy! Morris Oxfords are still widely used in India so why not get one of those?

What are you looking for? The looks or the driving experience itself.

Anything you get will need to have an alternator and extra cooling fans.
ClassicStanley is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed