Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 20:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Standard Herald Mark 1 was a new entry, and very nicely turned out.
Great to see another Herald, that too in a VCCCI rally!! Quite a positive change!

Also this seems to be an original Bombay car. Seems so well-preserved considering they didnt survive this well or this long there.

Appears to be a '63-64 model painted in the earlier Herald duotone colours. Dashboard and guages sadly not original though!

And 'love those broad WW tyres! Although not sure if they could be inserts or even painted.

PS: If you could get in touch with the owner, do let him know that I have a spare bonnet catch for the car!
Old 24th December 2012, 21:18   #17
BHPian

thanks Karl, Nice pictures of nice cars. I feel however that vintage and classic rallies should stick to vintage and classic vehicles . Modern cars somehow detract from the beauty of yesteryears, just my views. The BLI registered Desoto did indeed belong to Homi Bhabba and was in original paint, a creamish shade. The car in intact condition was sold to chor bazaar years ago, in the eighties and had a number series from the fourties. I went to chor bazaar and struck a deal for rs fifteen thousand, left a deposit of one thousand and went to get the balance. In my absence, a wheeler dealer by the name of Irani scuttled my deal and bought the car for a friend of mine. I did not make an issue since I knew the car was going to a friend. Lovely car, nice to see it running again.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 21:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And 'love those broad WW tyres! Although not sure if they could be inserts or even painted.

PS: If you could get in touch with the owner, do let him know that I have a spare bonnet catch for the car!
The tyres appeared to be painted with whitewall paint - looks great from a distance, but up-close the defects can be seen. I too would use this option as nothing else is available.

And thanks Shyam, I will convey to the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The BLI registered Desoto did indeed belong to Homi Bhabba and was in original paint, a creamish shade. The car in intact condition was sold to chor bazaar years ago, in the eighties and had a number series from the fourties. I went to chor bazaar and struck a deal for rs fifteen thousand, left a deposit of one thousand and went to get the balance. In my absence, a wheeler dealer by the name of Irani scuttled my deal and bought the car for a friend of mine. I did not make an issue since I knew the car was going to a friend. Lovely car, nice to see it running again.
I believe when it had come to Chor Bazaar it even had the original spare key, unused, and still in its original envelope/case. Glad it was saved, one way or another. Do you remember the original registration number? Do any pictures exist of the Homi Bhabha with the car?

Would have been nice to see your Bentley at the event, even if you couldn't make it.
Old 24th December 2012, 21:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thought I'd share some before and after pictures of some of the participating cars

VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012-01.jpg

VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012-02.jpg

VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012-04.jpg

VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012-03.jpg

VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012-05.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 23:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
Thought I'd share some before and after pictures of some of the participating cars
That's amazing, can you imagine the mini was offered to me for sale about 2 months ago, exactly the same unrestored pictures were emailed to me by a Pune broker. :-) brokers will be brokers. I am surprised that there were no dukkars participating Pune has so many of them ;-)
Old 25th December 2012, 00:01   #21
BHPian

Lovely comparison pictures, thanks. I do have the original number in my archives, just have to dig it out. Homi's mother was a relative and my father had several pictures of the family in the car. let me see if I can find any. Poona traffic is a nightmare so the Bentley goes out only on short drives. You yourself said the same, that to riding a bike... Nice to see Poona active once again. maybe if you guys also had Sunday drives, it would keep more cars running. ideally the rally should have included a visit to the Poona vintage car museum. I do not know if that was en route. Missed the Poonawala Bentley and of course the Jeejeebhoy beauty. Did they come?
Old 25th December 2012, 08:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
That's amazing, can you imagine the mini was offered to me for sale about 2 months ago, exactly the same unrestored pictures were emailed to me by a Pune broker. :-) brokers will be brokers. I am surprised that there were no dukkars participating Pune has so many of them ;-)
Hehe - I had taken those pictures many years ago. The car was standing in a garage at East Street. Next to it in bright green was another Mini, MMB 1079 I think, which seemed to be running.

Yes, unfortunately only 1 Fiat, and that too from Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Ideally the rally should have included a visit to the Poona vintage car museum. I do not know if that was en route. Missed the Poonawala Bentley and of course the Jeejeebhoy beauty. Did they come?
Looking forward to the family pictures.

I too thought exactly that, that there would be a visit to the Sanas museum. Actually it would make a great location to start/end as well, as it is on the premises of a hotel. I haven't seen the place, but I'm sure it must be great. 10 cars (old and new) were entered from the Sanas collection.

From Poonawalla's cars the 2 Rolls and 220S fintail were there, the Bentley did not come. The Jeejeebhoy Bentley was not there. One of the most admirable around - both car and owner
Old 27th December 2012, 16:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across some more neat images of the event here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9148354...th/8310199027/
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 17:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pictures. I did not know about this event, else would have surely come to drool over the vintage cars. I stay not very far from Radisson.

I wanted to know if someone can point me to a place in Pune where I can convert my old Zen into something that looks like a vintage car -perhaps like an old Beetle.
This means, I am looking for transplanting the engine from my car into some other car.

Sorry if this appears off-topic. It is my best shot at owning a vintage like car at an affordable price.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th December 2012 at 17:57.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:18   #25
BHPian

Hello There,

Thank you for the pictures and the write up.

Sad to note that the motorcycles were far and few.

I could not help but notice that Sam/Ruben/Morris did not field their collection.

It's been 7 years since I left Pune and sure felt good to see a few oldies in the rally.

Reg,

BB
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Hehe - I had taken those pictures many years ago. The car was standing in a garage at East Street. Next to it in bright green was another Mini, MMB 1079 I think, which seemed to be running.

Had paid the East Street Garage a visit a few months back. The little green fellow was under a cover, sinking in the ground.
A Beetle there wasn't for sale either. Nor was the van and definitely not the the grey old Willys in the Bungalow behind.

Car collectors, I am available to drive your extra cars and keep them running till I find something of the VW kinds.

Wishful thinking I know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks