Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013

Calcutta has a fine set of dedicated restorers. No wonder young Yash prefers to get his cars done there. One must admire and praise the workmen, largely illiterate, who work wonders with their hands, of course guided by seniors. John, thank you for the teasers and look forward to pictures from the rally on Sunday. Thanks for informing us that this is the Minerva coming for the Cartier show. Who is the fortunate owner??
Old 10th January 2013, 20:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks John, for a sneak peek at the potential entries for the forthcoming Rally.
The most talked about entry should be the 1919 Minerva, that the present generation of Calcuttans must never have seen.
I was there during the 2010 event on the Judgement Day. I feel its best to see the cars on the day prior to the rally viz. the Concours judgment day. The rally day is much more crowded and to really appreciate the cars and click them, Concours day is the best.
There are many new additions this time. I am not aware of the exits from 2011 or 2010 entries though.
The older cars show Calcutta's rich past during the first half of the last century, when the metro was booming with the best of economic and commercial activities. The biggest business houses in India started with their bases from Calcutta. Calcutta was indeed India's capital till 1911.
The remnants are the older exotics, many of which have been wasted away while some have found homes elsewhere. The ones that remain in Calcutta till this date, need to be praised with all the good words for their owners and restorers.
The restoration level of cars by the local restorers in Kolkata these days is of impeccable quality!
I will miss the grand event this time, though I had been trying to plan a trip to Kolkata.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th January 2013 at 21:14.
Old 10th January 2013, 21:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Calcutta has a fine set of dedicated restorers. No wonder young Yash prefers to get his cars done there. One must admire and praise the workmen, largely illiterate, who work wonders with their hands, of course guided by seniors. John, thank you for the teasers and look forward to pictures from the rally on Sunday. Thanks for informing us that this is the Minerva coming for the Cartier show. Who is the fortunate owner??
They are really very talented in Calcutta . The car looks great and will look forward to seeing it here for the show. The fortunate owner is young Yash only !
Cheers
Old 10th January 2013, 21:32   #19
BHPian

WOW. Then we shall have an opportunity to see the car in flesh at the VCCCI rally on February 17th. Any idea if other Calcutta cars will be staying back? Post Cartier? Sadly, since this is obviously a re bodied car it won't be a challenge to the Hyderabad Napiers. If the restorer is open to constructive criticism , I will point out some cosmetic aberrations . Lovely car all said and done.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:19   #20
BHPian

I've been trying to upload the other photos that I took at Sanjay's Works for the last two hours but keep timing out because of the slow speed ######. Have had a few conversations with Tata Docomo and seem to be going around in circles.

Will try to post them tomorrow.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Great pictures. What is the blue SUV/MUV/Van standing next to the green MG TC?
Thats a 82 TLC that has been desalised and re bodied to have 6 doors for the trips to the tiger reserves.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:12   #22
BHPian

Here are a few more photos of Sanjay's Works.

Averaging around 150 kbps speeds at the moment and will post a few more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05333.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05335.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05341.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05338.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05353.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05357.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05355.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05356.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05332.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05331.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 11:10   #23
BHPian

What a delightful set of pictures, Thanks John. Your Fiat stands proudly amongst the other gems. Is the Buick a 49? The Lancia , Buick, Caddy, look well cared for, as also the others. Hope the owners appreciate the hard work that Sanjay and his team put in to get these gems to this level. Look forward to the rally pictures now.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Here are a few more photos of Sanjay's Works.

Averaging around 150 kbps speeds at the moment and will post a few more photos.
That's a great front fender lying next to the Morris ! ? Some details of that car and also do take lots of snaps for us to enjoy.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2013, 15:56   #25
BHPian

Early this evening the judges will be having a general meeting prior to tomorrows Concours Judging. Michael Pook has been the Chief Judge for many years and does a great job. There are 3 Teams for; Authenticity 40pts., Fit and Finish 30pts., and Mechanicals 30 pts. (usually the Army). The Rally on Sunday is scored out of 50pts. After the Rally is over the judges tabulate the marks and award the many Trophies.

A Reception will be held later this evening for many dignitaries and key personal involved with the Event in the beautiful gardens all decorated up with a fine buffet.

The Statesman has been advertising and promoting the Event in their own Newspaper as per the following photos from yesterdays newspaper.
It's unfortunate none of the other local newspapers even mention this even or carry much if any reports after the it's finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05369.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05370.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05371.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05372.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05373.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05374.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 14:42   #26
BHPian

Tweety bird just flew in with the news that our very young and dynamic Yash has flown to Calcutta to drive his rebuilt Minerva in the rally tomorrow. Congratulations to him and Sanjay Ghosh for the rescue of a fine automobile. Hopefully our Mumbaikar will return with a trophy befitting the car. Wishing all the entrants good luck for a trouble free run.
Old 12th January 2013, 15:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Here are photos of the Minerva with two taken about a month ago.
Lovely work being done. If she comes to Cartier, she is a prime candidate for the resurrection prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks to Kasli we know how the Dharbanga Minerva looked when prior to restoration

This is not a Dharbanga car. Very sure about that.

.......Cheers KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
WOW. Then we shall have an opportunity to see the car in flesh at the VCCCI rally on February 17th. Any idea if other Calcutta cars will be staying back? Post Cartier? Sadly, since this is obviously a re bodied car it won't be a challenge to the Hyderabad Napiers. If the restorer is open to constructive criticism , I will point out some cosmetic aberrations . Lovely car all said and done.
As said, this is worthy of the resurrection prize. There are good reference pictures to show to what level the car had come down to. The rebuild is good, I believe that there is support from a Minerva authority. I am not too happy with the Landaulatte hood, but thats a very difficult part and does not always come upto expectations. The car should now be finished, it can be tweaked even later after the event.
What are the headlights to be fitted? They should also have a Minerva emblem, and they should be Marshal. Maybe a pair can be lent to for the event.
I heard that the engine has been started, that is very good news.

Cheers harit
Old 12th January 2013, 15:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures of your Fiat and the Caddy.. haven't seen the Rambler before, great restoration.

Can anybody confirm about the Qmarri racing car coming to the rally. I heard it from someone.
Old 13th January 2013, 02:50   #29
BHPian

It was a great DAY for any Vintage and Classic Car Lovers who were able to attend!

The cars started coming late in the morning and with the record number of entrants the judges had to finish very late as the sun had set. A number of us left at 5pm with 10 to 15 cars still lined up. Must have been frantic and very exhausting for them.

Some very nice new Restorations where present and "India Car" was there to take photos for their great Magazine. Unfortunately the Minerva didn't make it due to a fuel pump problem, but Sanjay and his miracle workers must be burning the midnight oil to sort out the problem and have the car there tomorrow. I'll say a little prayer for them, "The remover of difficulties" before I pack it in.

I understand that with the COLD weather everyone has had a problem with the productivity of their workers trying to finish all the last minute details.

I got some good photos but must confess I got a little distracted meeting with so many old friends and making new ones, so I hope some of the other TEAM BHP members with cameras can fill in the empty holes.

I still have a problem with my internet speed so being so very late, I'll post just a few photos. Tomorrow should be another Great Day.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05548.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05538.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05539.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05513.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05478.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05429.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05432.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 12:50   #30
BHPian

I won't be able to attend todays Rally due to some family commitments, I trust other Team BHP members will post photos of todays events.

The following photos I took as I arrived yesterday about 11pm as the cars were lined up for judging. The cars as usual, show a broad range from almost in the "rough" to impeccably restored. For most of the entrants the costs to do a proper restoration is beyond their means but nevertheless their cars are considered family members and treasures that they are so happy to Show and Share. Winning a trophy is not a Big Deal, though I'm sure they would love to have one.

The 1949/50 Ford caught my attention and I understand it is the first time it has been at The Statesman. Purchased since new it has been part of every family wedding and with another one coming up shortly thought they would enter it. I've asked them to send me a more detailed history of the Car to post.

This model, like the Model 'T", transformed the American Auto Industry with its simple clean lines. What impressed me most was that the interior was so original apart from the head liner. The hardware so well designed. Fortunately parts are readily available for this model and hopefully one day it will win one of the major trophy's.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05395.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05396.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05390.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05397.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05400.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05403.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05404.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05406.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 2013-dsc05405.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 13th January 2013 at 12:54.
john a milne is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks