Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 21:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
How many cars will actually come is debatable, Tweety bird feels that this is a window, opened for a few cars already bought by persons of influence to bring their cars in after which the window may be closed.
What Tweety bird feels is quite possible. As per what I know, a certain Delhi based collector is pretty close to the Italian's son-in-law. There could be many such collectors with similar influence.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Today's TOI carried an article on the lifting of restrictions on import of pre 1950 cars. Really wonderful news. My personal view is that finally this will encourage a decent amount of trading in vintage cars in India as you now have a reference point for car prices abroad plus freight and duties to arrive at a value which both owner and buyer can now use to negotiate.
DKG
Hi.
Apart from today's Times of India,this news was also in yesterday's DNA.
Here is the link.

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.asp...0009&ed_page=1

Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 12:50   #33

Actual User means one can import for their personal use and not for resale or trade. there will be a restriction on transfer . remember in the 70's to 90's imported cars had this condition and imported cars could be sold only to STC and STC used to auction them.

we need to wait and see the conditions imposed for such imports.

earlier preconditions for import of 2nd hand cars were restrictive and prohibitive.

- cars should be right hand drive.

- speedo should be in kmph not mph.

- spares and service network should be available in india.

- car should be homologated with arai.

- cars could be imported thru certain ports only.

i hope such conditions will not apply now.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
.......,this news was also in yesterday's DNA.
Here is the link.......... Regards
Did you notice, they estimate only 1800 pre 1950 cars to survive in India. According to me, there should be atleast 4000 cars left.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:37   #35
BHPian

Clarification by a Customs Clearing Agent:
As per Notification of DGFT on import of Vintage Cars:

Car should have been manufactured before 1st Jan 1950 and
It should not ply on public roads.

So far as duty is concerned assuming the value is less than US $ 40,000 and the engine capacity less than 3000 cc (P) or 2500 cc ( D ) then total duty would be about 120 %.
For above $40000 value& higher engine capacity – 160% (treated as luxury)

Also, Cars cannot be registered in India unless homologated & hence only possible to take to displays, exhibitions & vintage car rallies. BUT…. Duty can be paid in INR, hence common man such as you & I can import !.

The Govt really needs to look at some of these issues related to Import Duty, do away with homologation so cars can be registered & used.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th May 2013 at 09:10. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT / Multi-quote feature.
Old 4th May 2013, 20:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post

So far as duty is concerned assuming the value is less than US $ 40,000 and the engine capacity less than 3000 cc (P) or 2500 cc ( D ) then total duty would be about 120 %.
Can you please clarify/quote where in the notification it is mentioned that the cars should not ply on public roads??
Old 5th May 2013, 09:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

As usual the government has come up with a half baked notification catering to a few who have purchased cars abroad in the good old days.

Today if one were to buy an MG TC a right hand drive car in a good condition it would cost one 20 lakhs or roughly 20,000 pounds in england, add duty and shipping costs and out of pocket expenses and it takes the car to 50 lakhs. Now which common man enthusiast can afford that. Heck even a morris minor convertible would be ridiculously priced. The deal breaker is certainly a 120 percent duty which is clearly more forbiding than promoting. And with all the conditions attached why waste money. I would just buy a second home abroad amd enjoy the cars on the best of roads.

As it is bad enough that indians are paying twice as much to drive regular cars on the road and now this. Sorry to say but this is not a notification to promote any hobby, but a window of opportunity for older collectors to get thier trophies back! Someones lobbying has worked!

Last edited by the mole : 5th May 2013 at 09:58.
the mole is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 11:02   #38
v10
BHPian

Quote:

I'm sorry but I dont see that clause anywhere in the notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
As usual the government has come up with a half baked notification catering to a few who have purchased cars abroad in the good old days.

Today if one were to buy an MG TC a right hand drive car in a good condition it would cost one 20 lakhs or roughly 20,000 pounds in england, add duty and shipping costs and out of pocket expenses and it takes the car to 50 lakhs. Now which common man enthusiast can afford that. Heck even a morris minor convertible would be ridiculously priced. The deal breaker is certainly a 120 percent duty which is clearly more forbiding than promoting. And with all the conditions attached why waste money. I would just buy a second home abroad amd enjoy the cars on the best of roads.

As it is bad enough that indians are paying twice as much to drive regular cars on the road and now this. Sorry to say but this is not a notification to promote any hobby, but a window of opportunity for older collectors to get thier trophies back! Someones lobbying has worked!

Well, I think you can always pay duty on the original invoice price if you have the invoice with you and deduct 70% depreciation. These cars originally costed a few thousand pounds and you can still take off 70% from lets say 3,000 GBP, then add frieght and insurance and then pay the regular used car duty (comes to 200+%) on (900 GBP + Freight + Insurance) so it isnt that bad.
v10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 14:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

This notification is for buying higher pedigree cars than MGs etc. yes for those who bought in the slump with coloured money this is the only way to bring their treasures back and as bulldogji put it earlier it might be just for a limited window of time so grab and get back whoever wants to .

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 07:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Can you please clarify/quote where in the notification it is mentioned that the cars should not ply on public roads??
Hello Ajay, I obtained and quoted from the opinion of an established Customs Clearing House in Chennai. In the larger interests of the Classic Cars fraternity, you may also have the same verified with other customs clearing agents. I then forwarded your query to them & this is their response.

"Noted your mail and the Notification permits import of cars manufactured before 1st Jan 1950 and the relevant part which specifies that such cars plying on public roads will be subject to CMVA is appended.

(III) Cars manufactured prior to 1st January, 1950 are free for import by Actual Users. Policy Condition (I) and (II) above shall not be applicable for
these cars. However, such of the cars that would be plying on public roads will continue to be subject to Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and
Rules, 1989.”

In their opinion all such cars imported will not comply with Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Rules, 1989 - for instance, cars need to be homologated, a complicated and possibly impractical process for individual importers. Let us all hope the Govt. relaxes some of these regulations.
rdcm1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Ajay, I obtained and quoted from the opinion of an established Customs Clearing House in Chennai. In the larger interests of the Classic Cars fraternity, you may also have the same verified with other customs clearing agents. I then forwarded your query to them & this is their response.

"Noted your mail and the Notification permits import of cars manufactured before 1st Jan 1950 and the relevant part which specifies that such cars plying on public roads will be subject to CMVA is appended.

(III) Cars manufactured prior to 1st January, 1950 are free for import by Actual Users. Policy Condition (I) and (II) above shall not be applicable for
these cars. However, such of the cars that would be plying on public roads will continue to be subject to Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and
Rules, 1989.”

In their opinion all such cars imported will not comply with Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Rules, 1989 - for instance, cars need to be homologated, a complicated and possibly impractical process for individual importers. Let us all hope the Govt. relaxes some of these regulations.
Thanks for your inputs rdcm1985.
Homologation, perhaps would be required for commercial imports.At present, CBU imports of cars sold commercially by various manufacturers need to be homologated, but imports by individuals on TR do not have this requirement.
It seems irrational to allow such imports but not let the cars run on the road !
It means that one is required to have a transporter to take them to any show, and to import cars just for static displays makes no sense.
Certainly, more clarity is required in the matter.

Last edited by Dussey : 6th May 2013 at 12:59. Reason: addition
Dussey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 15:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

The matter of import of Vintage Cars was good and interesting news, a novel development for which some people worked very hard.
I would not speculate that this is a temporary window for those few with foresight to collect cars abroad to ship them in and then the window will close. Why think negative, I hope that this is a beginning and this change in policy will extend to cars of the sixties and seventies, in future we want to be able to get muscle cars too. And then they may even allow import of used parts, engines etc.

Now regarding the policy, which has been quoted "n" number of times, will always give a different meaning depending upon ones mood, time of the day, and what one has consumed. I am pocking fun, but basically its open to interpretation. All could guess what this could lead to. The use of the English language is so good, a genius was at work in drafting this notification, as ambiguous as it could possibly be.

Now why should I not have the thought that India had no homologation requirement ( I am guessing this looking at the cars India produced at that time) even in the 1970's, so why should this be applicable for vintage cars. And so why should I not be able to register a freshly imported car. There is no point to present arguements on something which is unclear and very ambiguous (Open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning, unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made).

Therefore, hopefully a test vintage will come in, or there will be clarification. Till then, I will keep quiet unless concrete info is obtained.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th May 2013 at 15:46.
Old 6th May 2013, 18:24   #43
BHPian

As regards used parts, aren't we anyway allowed to import them via air? I know I was in a spot of trouble when I unwittingly imported a large used part through sea but I have imported medium sized packages (max. 4 ft x 3ft) containing used parts by air without problems but after paying the duties.

For my own interest, is there a blanket rule disallowing import of used parts?
Old 7th May 2013, 18:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
As regards used parts, aren't we anyway allowed to import them via air? I know I was in a spot of trouble when I unwittingly imported a large used part through sea but I have imported medium sized packages (max. 4 ft x 3ft) containing used parts by air without problems but after paying the duties.

For my own interest, is there a blanket rule disallowing import of used parts?
Imports of used parts are restricted, to protect the domestic market.
However, in smaller packages by post , where the invoice is visible on the face of the parcel, they just levy the percentage duty and deliver it without going into too much of details. Parcels declared as gifts are invariably delivered without hassles.
Dussey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 20:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rules, 1989.”

I am sorry to say that their inference in this regard is not fully correct.
For eg:You may remember the Austin Mini Moke(yellow) which was imported from Srilanka to Kerala(Now in Madras).It was allowed to be registered in 2008 in Kerala without any homologation.Similarly a Riley of the fifties has been imported and registered in South India 2 years back
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed