Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2014, 21:06   #91
BHPian

Re: Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
As for the question, how I got the car in? One, I am not obliged to answer.Two, I made a point only to prove that once customs cleared RTO registers.
Well. Of course you are not obliged to answer, but when you make such statements on the forum , why not back them with answers?

Anything done correctly need not be hidden, you made a claim of legally getting a car into the country, what is the harm in sharing the way? It can help others do the same.

And what point have you really made about RTO registering the car , unless you share details, one has to assume that either the car is not registered, or the way it was , perhaps is not to be made public!

Anyway, you do not wish to disclose the way after volunteering the information that it is possible. That , if may say so, is not in good spirit

But then, this is only my opinion
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 22:39   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Well. Of course you are not obliged to answer, but when you make such statements on the forum , why not back them with answers?

Anything done correctly need not be hidden, you made a claim of legally getting a car into the country, what is the harm in sharing the way? It can help others do the same.

And what point have you really made about RTO registering the car , unless you share details, one has to assume that either the car is not registered, or the way it was , perhaps is not to be made public!

Anyway, you do not wish to disclose the way after volunteering the information that it is possible. That , if may say so, is not in good spirit

+1 :thumbup:

While Mr Ananth is free to not share his process of importing the car, It would have been good for the betterment of the vintage car scene is how I would like to look at it.

Also, I was curious to know what car has come in the country but alas, I dont think am gonna get to know that :rolleyes:
///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 23:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post

Also, I was curious to know what car has come in the country but alas, I dont think am gonna get to know that :rolleyes:
Why worry? If it has been imported post 2012, then most likely it will be on Zauba.com! Or possibly one of the many post 1950 Rolls that we saw over there.
Old 12th May 2014, 14:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:

Well said.

How typical. I have little doubt that the gentleman in question has/would have tried to extract every bit of information he could out of the forum and its members.

While I can completely understand someone not wanting to disclose personal details (as I have done myself), it is slightly pathetic to actively choose not to assist others with a simple explanation of a procedure undertaken, unless it is illegal of course.

One is reminded yet again of "crab mentality" which sadly, is usually associated with India even though it is meant to be a general human trait.

Very sad. You reap what you sow.
Faster789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 19:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

Would be great if people with access could post a detailed list of cars imported with pictures if possible.

Its wonderful to hear the trend has reversed and cars are now coming in instead of going out.
Old 12th May 2014, 23:36   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Would be great if people with access could post a detailed list of cars imported with pictures if possible.

Its wonderful to hear the trend has reversed and cars are now coming in instead of going out.
Hi Wasif,

Just log on to Zauba.com, follow a simple registration process and then you have access to all import export data related to India. Not only cars, anything that interests you. You will also find details of brand new cars imported by dealers with their declared value. then it's a simple duty calculation which will enable you to work out the dealer margin , enabling prospective buyers to negotiate discounts..

Interesting import values of vintage cars. An Austin is valued higher than a Rolls

Last edited by Bulldogji : 12th May 2014 at 23:38.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

In the past few threads quite some wrong info has been given. Rules are never straightforward and simple, you must know how to read them, twist them without breaking. Import your car according to rules and enjoy, either by driving them or visiting your garage.
I am comming against some of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
But to insure vehicles don't you need a registration number? Or do they do what they do in AP for new vehicles prior to registration- just take engine and chassis nos. and simply mention "NEW" under vehicle regn. column in the policy document?
Stanherji, we are talking about vehicles imported for display and rallying. So it won't be registered for road use. But still such a vehicle has a value for which it can be insured for fire, storms etc. In case of a road accident you will be in trouble as you were never meant to take it on the road. Like in a race if you take part in your Herald, it will not be covered by insurance unless specified and extra premium paid, if they were to accept in the first place. As said, like anything else, house, boat, etc. your car can be insured as a property, an item belonging to you. Insurance may set some conditions too. For records they will use the chassis and engine number, make and model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The U.S. laws are more focused and better worded to allow imports of cars older than 21 years .....
Quite right, but these are policies US authorities have introduced and follow in their country. But can one register these cars? For that at least a fitness test must be carried out. Wonder how many will take Ambys to the US. In India this import of pre 1950 cars is a new subject and as we have seen there is lots that can be ironed out.

Quote:
First let me clarify. I got in a car, but, not under the new regulations.Second, once a car is cleared thru customs legally, RTO will register them,Rto cannot refuse. I think unecessary fuss is being made. Let me ask. Do all heritage cars here have current valid documents?Do all heritage cars here pass emission tests? Some unrestored cars in India do not even have a license plate, leave alone the book.RTO is a state department & they should register it, even if it is LHD, though LHD is not permitted for import
Mr. Ananth, you are very right. Some cars don't have documentation. That's just too bad under present laws. You can't put some junk number and hope for the best. That is why when VCCCI holds rallies, for those few weeks before and after, these cars can come on the road unhindered. VCCCI does this in coordination with traffic authorities. My friend owning the club himself told me so. But this is not common knowledge. Yes, they should register cars missing documents, VCCCI got it done, but then helped only a few selected people and not VCCCI member irrespective of the status of their friendship with owner. Yes, cars without docs should be registered for all, and not only the few cars selected by VCCCI.
In the first part, you mention that cars going out from customs have to be registered. That's absolutely incorrect. For example, many car manufacturers import cars for various reasons, research, testing, copying, they all come through customs but cannot be registered. Even scrapping these vehicles is a procedure. There are other examples too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
There is no legal obligation on the part of the State Motor Vehicle department and its representative RTO to register all imported cars cleared via customs........ Whether all "'heritage cars'''have current valid documents is a different issue, but legally to ply on the roads they should have them. RTO may be a state department but the Acts governing them is Central,ie MVI Act,1989.So they cannot ignore central diktats as you seem to suggest
And the vehicles have to be road worthy, pass fitness etc. Customs cannot check that when a vehicle is being imported. There may be documents for sure, but RTO have to verify, not customs. The biggest hitch which nobody touched upon is the valuation of an imported car, the road tax is based on that. Somehow they are not happy to blindly accept customs valuation + duty paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Transfer of Residence. There is no other way to import a used car in the country. (Other than R&D, but that won't be possible in the case of a vintage car)
Again not true. You can import as a journalist, company representative, foreign collaboration, research, and what about those 3 year old second hand cars which WTO made India accept? was that for TR only? I don't think so. They introduce this 3 year clause, RHD etc after WTO discussions.

Quote:
So nothing exotic has landed up in India then via this route ? I was thinking with he money there we would see some beauties like SS Merc, Benlteys etc showing up, maybe a Miura or two, GT40, Cobra , Ferrari ?
Those cars can come in under TR. Very expensive and cumbersome, can stress you out and make you cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The Napier has come under TR on 31st May 2012 ...
Cheers KPS
Yes, indeed and that can be registered. I was told that they got a Rolls too, not sure though.

Quote:
Yes, legally one needs valid documents to use a car.What happens when there are no valid documents? What happens if there is no liceence plate itself? RTO laws are archaic. Duplictes are never issued under such circumstances. Then one is back to the wall. Use the car with some documents or with none.
As for the question, how I got the car in? One, I am not obliged to answer.Two, I made a point only to prove that once customs cleared RTO registers.
You agree that one needs documents to ply a car. Good. But when your back is to the wall, you still cannot take law into own hands by plying without the docs. You can keep the car for rallies and exhibition purpose only
Chennai has a few cars which came in and were registered, under TR. Even a LHD car. But in each case clearance was cumbersome as was the registration process.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Anyone remembers the Toyota Land cruiser/Lexus LX470 scam in Mumbai, circa 2005 or so? Quite a lot of them were impounded after the RTO smelled something. They were cleared by the customs prior to bring impounded.
Again a mix up. These were impounded because of a scam, multifold. And impounding was a DRI matter. They came in as older cars, brought by carriers, some were even hire cars, so problems were valuation and eligibility. Customs clears on basis of docs and after a while the docs started smelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
+1 :thumbup:Also, I was curious to know what car has come in the country but alas, I dont think am gonna get to know that :rolleyes:
Go through t-bhp threads over a couple of years ago. All info is contained in this forum.

Quote:
Why worry? If it has been imported post 2012, then most likely it will be on Zauba.com! Or possibly one of the many post 1950 Rolls that we saw over there.
The Chennai cars came in quite a few years ago. So not on Zauba. As said before, the cars are already on this forum, with pics.

Quote:
Would be great if people with access could post a detailed list of cars imported with pictures if possible. Its wonderful to hear the trend has reversed and cars are now coming in instead of going out.
Cars have still gone out post 2000. A tiny trickle of cars have been coming in, under TR and collaborations. But the process is not worth the bother. And this latest scheme is also silly when you cannot drive on the road.

Quote:
Hi Wasif,............. You will also find details of brand new cars imported by dealers with their declared value. then it's a simple duty calculation which will enable you to work out the dealer margin, enabling prospective buyers to negotiate discounts.. Interesting import values of vintage cars. An Austin is valued higher than a Rolls
Well, while you can definitely work with a calculator, your results can be misleading. The value of a vehicle when importing will be minimum because of customs duty. And normally export prices are better. A manufacturer for example like Porsche will also have to recover establishment cost not only for showrooms + office but for testing at ARAI Ahmednagar etc. So the dealer margin cannot be directly calculated as expenses cannot be guessed. But for sure dealers have a margin, and it must be reasonable to sustain sales and service set up.

Now we are the wiser and all know how to import such cars. Yet there are a few points which need to be clarified.

The first ever Caddy to come in was a metallic brown car and displayed at a VCCCI rally. How come this is not in the list, post 2012? Because it is not an import meant to stay. The car must have come under a carnet. That is why my Humber is also not seen in the list. Now let us see when and what will go out to honor that carnet by complying with the provisions.

The first Caddy to come in was the 1941 car in November2013, how come a January 2014 import gets a prize as being the first car imported under the new scheme?

On the VCCCI website it invites those interested to import a car to contact WIAA. Recently someone did. He received the information which most of know, but he was not told that the car cannot be registered for road use. This is a very serious omission, withholding sich vital information. So buyer, beware.

Looking at the list, not a real lot of cars have come in, I am sure quite some more are to come.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 13th May 2014 at 14:10.
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:44   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Please dont blame the MVI Act or rules for this.(there is no such thing as RTO rules). Do you mean to say that the MVD should issue duplicates to cars which the registration number is not even known? if that is allowed it will be lead to mayhem!!!
Yes,in other countries, duplicate book can be obtained
Old 14th May 2014, 09:42   #99
BANNED

Any clarity of the LHD issue? Are they allowed.
Old 14th May 2014, 15:59   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any clarity of the LHD issue? Are they allowed.
No restrictions on import of LHD under the notification.
Old 31st May 2014, 18:07   #101
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC the car mentioned by honourable C S ananth is an MG and was brought into the country a few years ago and it is an LHD car.
sankar009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:14   #102
BHPian

What is the HS code to be put in to look for cars on Zauba. The general search throws up too many component etc results.
Old 13th June 2014, 17:08   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
What is the HS code to be put in to look for cars on Zauba. The general search throws up too many component etc results.
Search using 8703.This is the general HS code for real cars.Although you will find tons of Merc A and S500 imports in that,so filter accordingly.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 16:03   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
No restrictions on import of LHD under the notification.
I have been informed that effective 2009 import of LHD Cars is not permitted.
It is better to stick to RHD.
Old 20th June 2014, 16:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I have been informed that effective 2009 import of LHD Cars is not permitted.
It is better to stick to RHD.
LHD permitted under pre-1950 car policy. Infact first car brought into the country under this policy was LHD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks