Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 16:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Maharaja cars at Retromobile 2014, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Tweetie bird tells me that a Topolino is to be taken to Retromobile not for the Maharaja class but maybe on a Fiat stand. Does anyone have some more info?

Cheers harit
I wonder if Tweety bird is talking about the red Topolino that won something at the Cartier show?.

tweety also seems to believe that at least one much talked about Indian entry has decided not to participate.

Hopefully , Tweety has made a mistake
Old 13th December 2013, 21:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Tweetie bird tells me that a Topolino is to be taken to Retromobile not for the Maharaja class but maybe on a Fiat stand. Does anyone have some more info?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Karl or Ronnie would know and a topolino from India ?? wow europe must be in crisis / shortage for authentic ( winning ) cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
I wonder if Tweety bird is talking about the red Topolino that won something at the Cartier show?.
I don't know if this is true, but if it is then it might just be another case of a car co. buttering up an auto journo - from junkets n assorted freebies to all n sundry, to serious stuff for the big fish! Heck, from hacks in the past to Sachin's Ferrari to this now, it's about time Fiat too received some celestial payback for all its altruism (other cos. have already reaped much)!
Old 13th December 2013, 22:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I don't know if this is true, but if it is then it might just be another case of a car co. buttering up an auto journo - from junkets n assorted freebies to all n sundry, to serious stuff for the big fish! Heck, from hacks in the past to Sachin's Ferrari to this now, it's about time Fiat too received some celestial payback for all its altruism (other cos. have already reaped much)!
Why would a Car co. Butter up a Auto journo who is not on the seat itself ? But if this statement is true of the Fiat I am in loss of words and agree with Prabal on his views

Cheers
Old 17th December 2013, 02:03   #19
BHPian

The cars from India should have left Indian shores by now, strangely , so far, there is no confirmation of a single car having left. I hope after getting themselves invited they don't let the organisers down by not sending them.

No press conferences, no announcements, what's up???
Old 21st December 2013, 16:05   #20
BHPian

Tweety bird informs that the entry from Delhi has failed to proceed towards Paris.

Now, its upto the cars from Bombay to keep our flag flying high.

Bentley, Humber and Studebaker, hope your sailing dates are firmed up.
Old 21st December 2013, 23:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Bentley, Humber and Studebaker, hope your sailing dates are firmed up.
You must be aware that the engine of the Humber is opened up, the mechanic goofed up badly. Fellow exhibitors are aware and duly informed others

no cheers harit
Old 22nd December 2013, 06:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must be aware that the engine of the Humber is opened up, the mechanic goofed up badly. Fellow exhibitors are aware and duly informed others no cheers harit
Engine opened up ? Does Retromobile have a run like Pebble Beach . If it's a static display plonk the engine in send the car and get the engine overhauled there by an expert and bring the car back after a month that's how long they take there unlike here . Time and money well spent

On Delhi cars non participation :( a deserving car and it's the second time for that car I think . My opinion would be that the car does not want to leave the Indian shores .. It's own way of saying

But hopefully the rest would be going including Delage of Doc after it's make up from the phoren stages

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
An update on Retromobile - another confirmed entry - the 1930 Stutz from the Titus collection

Attachment 1160094

Attachment 1160105

A brief history of the car can be found here

Attachment 1160095
Confirmed withdrawal.

Car was a show stopper, wonder what went wrong???
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this morning near BKC and should be sailing soon

RJD 101 in new clothing while the ever beautiful Studebaker ...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Maharaja cars at Retromobile 2014, Paris-img_6819.jpg  

Maharaja cars at Retromobile 2014, Paris-img_6822.jpg  

Maharaja cars at Retromobile 2014, Paris-img_6823.jpg  

kasli is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted this morning near BKC and should be sailing soon....... Cheers
Unfortunately, these cars will not be sailing anywhere soon. When BKC was mentioned, I had a doubt as these cars were at a wrong location, that is not where one would go to JNPT. Tweety bird told me that these cars were lying near the WIAA office at Churchgate a few days ago or for a few days. To go to JNPT they should have gone via the newly opened freeway. In fact, these cars are headed back home

Apparently, there was an ego issue and attempts were made to send the cars with the wrong carnet. Sadly that did not work out, and then time was lost. The official version will be to blame port congestion, the participants were all the while warned about the correct procedures and shrinkage of time.

I then visited the VCCCI website and noted two things.
First, the Retromobile show having a Maharaja class section this time, does not feature in the "Upcomming events". That is very strange since the owner of VCCCI was to participate himself, so why no mention about this event? Very strange, as other events which had no involvement of VCCCI are mentioned, yet this event has not been mentioned.
Secondly, it appears that Shree Dossaji has been elected as a member of the "International Historical Commission", (something to do with FIA),"which looks after the Vintage and Classic cars". I suppose he will represent India and our movement at Retromobile and explain the history of the participating Maharaja cars to various visitors. Also intriguing and to note is that the commission "looks after cars", just what does that mean?

By a very strange coincidence, someone who called himself "Karan" calls from a PCO located near Churchgate station asking to see my Humber. Well, he was told that the engine is expected to be ready in about 15 days, anyone could go to the turner to verify that. So, Karan, who are you really?

I suggest that Tweety bird should be caged and beak tied up properly before the poor bird reveals that also.

All the best to the cars which will finally land up at Retromobile, please hold the flag of the Indian Vintage car movement high!

Cheers harit
Old 4th January 2014, 13:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

A picture is worth a thousand words
Attached Thumbnails
Maharaja cars at Retromobile 2014, Paris-humber-.jpg  

harit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 19:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words
But , what is half apicture worth?

The Humber, what little is visible,looks neat, the only car to sail from India, hope it's return journey is smooth.

sad that the others did not make it, but in the hope of going, the Bentley got a makeover
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Some coverage from Classic and Sportscar

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/n...ic-spectacular
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 16:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice article. So is the Mullins Delahaye also a Maharaja car. Who owned originally.

Anyone has a complete list of the cars entered in this class.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
......Mullins Delahaye also a Maharaja car. Who owned originally. Anyone has a complete list of the cars entered in this class.
Hi Wasif, here is the list, by year:
1910 Brooke Swan Car
1920's Cygnet
1923 Rolls-Royce Twenty ex-Nawab Moin-ud-Dowla
1925 Alfa Romeo RL SS
1925 Rolls-Royce Twenty of Bharatpur
1926 Rolls-Royce Phantom I ex-Nawab Wali-ud-Dowla 71DC
1926 Rolls-Royce Phantom I ex-Maharaja of Cooch Behar
1928 Rolls-Royce 17EX
1929 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A of Kotwara
1930 Delage D8 Figoni ex-Holkar, Indian entry of Dr. Ravi Prakash
1930 Mercedes-Benz SS ex-Kashmir
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II ex-Maharajs of Rewa, 86XJ
1934 Humber Snipe 80 Pullman from Korea (Koriya) mine
1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III ex-Maharaja of Kohlapur, car can be seen on the Rolls thread on t-bhp.
1938 Delahaye 135 one of two cars brought to India by Paul Jourde and later owned by the Maharaja of Nawanagar. Some try to confuse the lineage of past owners of this car.
A brochure covering all cars in the Maharaja section will be sold at the exhibition.

Cheers harit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th January 2014 at 17:10. Reason: On request
harit is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed