Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 20:37   #1
BHPian

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration

Good Evening Sirs ( do any ladies exist in the vintage forums ?? )

I know several Packard threads exist on the forum , but I could not resist, the temptation to start another one - just so, I could quote one of the most famous lines in automobile advertising. ( and yes the advetisement , preceded the model detailed here, but so what , the catch phrase was still applicable )

I have not come across any photograph of a lady driver with a Packard. ( I am waiting for our resident historian to correct me )

Another restoration winding up, so thought I will detail the restoration.

The straight 8 in bare metal , an awe inspiring engine - I have worked on a V 12 and a much bigger V 8 but the smoothness of this 8 was soothing.

Subsequent to the engine photographs , I will try to be chronological in my posts.

Regards
Chauhan
Attached Thumbnails
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-dscf8381-small.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-dscf8382-small.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-dscf8383-small.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-dscf8384-small.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:06   #2
BHPian

re: 'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration

The car was sourced in 2009 from Jhumri Talaiya ( the place does exist ) in Jharkand. I went there to negotiate the price and pick up the car .

The path to the Garage

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-path-garage.jpg

The Garage

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-garage.jpg

First Look
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-1st-look.jpg

Pushed Out
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-pushed-out-.jpg

Clear of the Garage
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-clear-garage.jpg

Clearing the muck
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-cleaning-muck.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 9th September 2019 at 22:10.
vintageman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great images of the find at Jharkhand. Do upload more images once she was cleaned.

The color of the engine and its basic shade is a Dupont Green or 546A bell green & a combo black is there like the pulleys etc for the 47.

In regards to the dialogue of Ask the man who owns one well what to say I am a firm believer of the statement and no American car matches to that in regards to refinement.

But there are a few adverts and also the oldest single ownership to date is a 102 women Mrs Dunning and her 1930 Packard 740. You can google her very fascinating story and ownership.

Another 1928 Packard advert also shows a lady driving a car , some sold magazine cover also a women driving an early Packard and an old style car wash or polish all showing ladies and Packards.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-coll1articlelarge.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-p371.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-8109366157_9dec8c32bb_z.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-2723c5ab7ff36b51a5369eb9007edf54.jpg  

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-ngm1_811.jpg  

Last edited by kasli : 2nd June 2013 at 16:17.
kasli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Good Evening Sirs ( do any ladies exist in the vintage forums ?? )................I have not come across any photograph of a lady driver with a Packard. ( I am waiting for our resident historian to correct me )..............Regards Chauhan
Well, now good afternoon to you

A very good point. As a matter of fact, in Mumbai atleast our get togethers have helped to kindle some interest with some ladies. Many got along well, enjoyed our drives, and many started by referring to our metal as "Katchra, Bhangar (rubbish, scrap). Yesterday I drove to Nashik with family and remembered the spots along the drive. Here a car had broken down, there we had snacks etc. My daughter remarked that the wife seemed to have liked the trip. So lets see what happens in the cooler months of the year, the lady will in all probability come along. Whether she will go on t-bhp I wonder.

I presume you refer to Lady driver in Packard in India. Well, can't say much, but here is an ad, Miss Rosie was an actress in the 1930's. Maybe she just modeled for it, owned it or even drove it.

In general, there are fewer lady drivers seen in any of my pictures, irrespective of the marque involved.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-rosies-packard.jpg  

harit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration

Quote:
I have not come across any photograph of a lady driver with a Packard.
Here is one picture given to me by the daughter of the lady in the picture. The car survives, was badly neglected, still with the first owners till few years back, but now I believe restored.

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-mody0.jpg

Quote:
The car was sourced in 2009 from Jhumri Talaiya ( the place does exist ) in Jharkand. I went there to negotiate the price and pick up the car .

The path to the Garage
Attachment 1091398

The Garage
Attachment 1091397
How did you tow the car out? And where is the bonnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
But there are a few adverts and also the oldest single ownership to date is a 102 women Mrs Dunning and her 1930 Packard 740. You can google her very fascinating story and ownership. Cheers
I happened to see Mrs. Dunning's car in person, without even realising it was her car! Pictures here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond...ce-2012-a.html
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Thank you Kasli , Harit and Karl ,

Firstly for the addition to the name of the thread , I had been wondering since I started the thread if the connotation of the name would be right - it sounded more like a boast, than a restoration thread.

Secondly the ladies and vintage cars do get together for photoops and not much else.

I have to say my family has been cooperative in the extreme, what with a denting shop under the bedroom window , the same applies to the neighbours , who have bearing up with the din for the last 15 years , I have been so embarrased by their passivity that will be shifting the garage to the family farm by next year.

Karl,
Pushing this car out not so difficult :

Jacked the car up , took off all the rims , got new tubes , inflated the tyres , freed the wheels and pushed it out . The car had been parked in this garage since 1976 and had not been moved since .

Nobody knows where the bonnet went.

Regards
Chauhan

Last edited by vintageman : 3rd June 2013 at 15:14.
vintageman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:07   #7
BHPian

Lucknow Arrival 04 Dec 2009 ( I think ) / 03:00 am

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-arrives-lucknow-small.jpg

Pushed Out

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-pushed-out-small.jpg

Towed by the ever faithful Mahindra Armada . ( The Armada would hold the record for towing the maximum number of vintage cars - the longest tow was over a 140 kms with a Ford Fairlane in 3 hours).
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-towed-small.jpg

Parked
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-parked-small.jpg

Vintage engines do fascinate me, I love to drive my cars on normal traffic city roads - a reliable engine is a precondition to enjoy the hobby so 2 photographs of the engine upon arrival Lucknow

'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-engine-1-small.jpg
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-engine-2-small.jpg

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kasli , Harit and Karl, .....Secondly the ladies and vintage cars do get together for photoops and not much else.........Regards Chauhan
That is not correct, some ladies have been driving the cars to all sorts of events, and I have seen daughters, the next gen taking to the wheel too.

This is a nice Packards, before you bought her she was doing rounds in the broker circles, bonnet was lost. Now that you have started a thread, she must nearing completion.

Cheers
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly the ladies and vintage cars do get together for photoops and not much else.
Often true, but not always. My grandmother was driving a DKW when still in her teens. Coincidentally in Luckow

The picture of the Packard I posted shows the lady posing with the Packard - she drove all sorts of large cars. Family was involved with Dadajee Dhackjee in some way, I'm not sure.
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:41   #10
BHPian

Gentlemen ,

I stand corrected regarding my comment about the ladies , but vintage restoration and passion for vintage vehicles is still a male domain in our country. Maybe, as I rarely venture out of UP ( except to change the floors at Delhi T3 - arrival to departure or vice versa ) my exposure to situation outside UP is limited.

But it was a pleasure seeing the lovely ladies and the cars.

By the way Karl , there is a DKW still in Lucknow , does it by any chance have links to your family ?

Regards
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Towed by the ever faithful Mahindra Armada . ( The Armada would hold the record for towing the maximum number of vintage cars - the longest tow was over a 140 kms with a Ford Fairlane in 3 hours).
Chauhan

Guys, I have known the OP for a long time but lost touch after 2000. Found him again on TBHP today, of all places, thanks to this thread! It is a small world, after all!

Capt.Chauhan, here is a photo of the Armada back in '98, in front of the JK Mandir, Kanpur! More pics (with me in it) to follow, but they have to be scanned first!
Attached Thumbnails
'Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration-vicky.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd June 2013 at 21:32.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:08   #12
BHPian

Wow! and in line 8 cylinder engine!
Old 4th June 2013, 07:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

More pics (with me in it) to follow, but they have to be scanned first!
Hello Ganesan,

It's been a very long time , 15 years with SPIC Shipping were the best ever, but then all good things come to an end......

Thank you for the photograph of the Armada , like me - then in it's prime , we are both growing old together. Over 3 lakh kilometers and still running.

I do not think more photographs of the Armada will be appreciated in a thread dedicated to the Packard . We can post them elsewhere in a more appropriate thread.

Thanks & Regards
Chauhan

Last edited by vintageman : 4th June 2013 at 07:48. Reason: Addition
vintageman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 10:50   #14
BHPian

Dear Capt Sahab,

hello

The Packard is coming out great , I guess you had got the bonnet when i had seen the car in 2011 .

Regards
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 12:00   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new addition. Wonderful to see yet another example heading back to its former glory.

You had a 36 convertible too which I saw some pictures off during restoration. Do please share some pictures of the competed car. Those 36/37's were such handsome cars.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed