Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 23:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Technical Advice for Upkeep, Maintenance and Repair of Vintages and Classics

I was always feeling the need of such a thread. We can discuss about our cars and bikes technical problems here to get feedbacks.
Today, I was discussing about a broken chassis of a Fiat Super Select recently bought by a friend. The crack was detected on the front left side, while its brakes were being repaired. The steering would wobble once in a while and the steering would pull to the left. He thought that it had to do something with the braking system.
But this problem cropped up now in his Fiat SS. The left suspensions, tyres and wheel discs are quite prone to getting battered as while traversing narrow roads and while giving space to oncoming vehicles we tend to get the car off the road with the right wheels on the road and the left off the road.
I have seen welded chassis' on jeeps and driven a jeep with a welded chassis'. Earlier, two steel plates would be fitted on either sides of the chassis and these would be welded to keep the thing together. After such "jugaad" jobs, the steering would wobble all of a sudden, shaking, rattling and rolling the nerves of all the occupants. I would sometimes fear that the tie rod would break during such "wobble attacks" that this jeep would face, quite frequently.
Here, I would invite fellow bhpians to please come up with solutions and newer ideas, to get the broken chassis of my friend's Fiat car repaired. I will also post pictures as and when these are received.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st July 2013 at 23:09.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:22   #2

Re: Technical Advice for Upkeep, Maintenance and Repair of Vintages and Classics

Hi Anjan,

Though I have been an active reader on Team-BHP. This is the first time when I will be writing a comment as I have a view here.

If people have wielded plates on the chassis of a jeep which goes far more ruff with some wobbling effect (which anyways jeep riders are use to of ) then a car or for that matter the classic Fiat Select will go easy on such crazy roads of India. This doesn't mean that it will not wobble but I doubt that it will be as risky as one feels in a jeep.

Delhi has some good repair shops to rectify this problem and have more sturdy options to solve this problem..

I am sure you will have more reply's on this thread
Sulabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Technical Advice for Upkeep, Maintenance and Repair of Vintages and Classics

Here's a thread that offers some good tips too : Link
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I was always feeling the need of such a thread. We can discuss about our cars and bikes technical problems here to get feedbacks.
Today, I was discussing about a broken chassis of a Fiat Super Select recently bought by a friend. The crack was detected on the front left side, while its brakes were being repaired. The steering would wobble once in a while and the steering would pull to the left. He thought that it had to do something with the braking system.
But this problem cropped up now in his Fiat SS. The left suspensions, tyres and wheel discs are quite prone to getting battered as while traversing narrow roads and while giving space to oncoming vehicles we tend to get the car off the road with the right wheels on the road and the left off the road.
I have seen welded chassis' on jeeps and driven a jeep with a welded chassis'. Earlier, two steel plates would be fitted on either sides of the chassis and these would be welded to keep the thing together. After such "jugaad" jobs, the steering would wobble all of a sudden, shaking, rattling and rolling the nerves of all the occupants. I would sometimes fear that the tie rod would break during such "wobble attacks" that this jeep would face, quite frequently.
Here, I would invite fellow bhpians to please come up with solutions and newer ideas, to get the broken chassis of my friend's Fiat car repaired. I will also post pictures as and when these are received.
Here in Mumbai, we still have many people doing Chassis/subframe and suspension arms strengthening for the Fiat/Padmini. Its a job which we used to get done on our Rally Fiats by Panchal at grant road, his son is still around, without any handling problems. even in Nagpur, maybe the garage can do it.
scooby05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Friends I could not find any relevant thread so posting my query here.

This is about rust removal methods. I have come to understand a lot from the books / online materials. However have no practical experience on what is the result of using one technique and what precautions one should take.

I have earlier used chemical cleaning of rust presided by water cleaning and then application of 3M sealer, but the main drawback is if the acid is not cleaned completely from body the reaction takes place and lead to further deterioration.

I now a rust spot in the area previously done. So chemical could be a problem.

Mechanical scrubbing is of no good use as it involves the efficiency of an uninterested labor.

Rust bullet is an option but not sure of its effectiveness and ability of local workforce to deal with it.

This brings us down to the option of SAND BLASTING. Now there are service providers in Bangalore ready to do for the whole body and or any part you give. I have few questions which seen very important- (DKG had done sand blasting to a chassis but I am looking for the body also)

1.) What should be the size of the sand grit to be used?

2.) What should be the compressed air pressure?

3.) Will there be any side effect on the exterior of the car body (thinking in mind the thinning of car sheet metal due to years of use and corrosion). Although the rotting panels have been replaced but still asking will there be any serious damage.

4.) The exterior of the car was prepped once, but I do see a layer of Bondo all over the car, is that the name of game for classic cars or do I need to sand blast all that away and start fresh.

5.) After the blasting what should be the immediate applicable chemical product to stop any future rusting.

7.) And then after the immediate treatment, what should be applied to the underbody and under chassis to seal the occurrence of rust for years to come , looking for stuff that really works.

6.) Any other precautions that one should take care off.

7.) Is there any other better method than sand blasting that one can think off.

8.) And for the perfect bonding of paint to body (if sand blasted completely) what should be applied.

Hope to get some technical advice.

As usual the workshop / tinker has advised against the sand blasting saying it's useless. I told then yes it is use(d) less.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

1.) What should be the size of the sand grit to be used?

2.) What should be the compressed air pressure?

3.) Will there be any side effect on the exterior of the car body (thinking in mind the thinning of car sheet metal due to years of use and corrosion). Although the rotting panels have been replaced but still asking will there be any serious damage.

4.) The exterior of the car was prepped once, but I do see a layer of Bondo all over the car, is that the name of game for classic cars or do I need to sand blast all that away and start fresh.

5.) After the blasting what should be the immediate applicable chemical product to stop any future rusting.

7.) And then after the immediate treatment, what should be applied to the underbody and under chassis to seal the occurrence of rust for years to come , looking for stuff that really works.

6.) Any other precautions that one should take care off.

7.) Is there any other better method than sand blasting that one can think off.

8.) And for the perfect bonding of paint to body (if sand blasted completely) what should be applied.

Hope to get some technical advice.
Friends any advise on the above matter. I am still in dilemma to use sand blasting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks