Team-BHP - A Barn Find: 1934 Standard
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   A Barn Find: 1934 Standard (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/148515-barn-find-1934-standard.html)

I thought this information could be added on to the Standard thread, but as this is to be a restoration process also, a new thread was more appropriate.
After a year of perseverence my friend Akhilesh finally got hold of the Standard which had been parked in the same garage for 45 years.
A single owner, the present owner is 84 years old and received it as part of his marriage settlement from his father in law.

The best thing about this car - everything is there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 3380883)
The best thing about this car - everything is there!

What a beautiful barn find. Being in a covered parking, the car has survived in an intact condition. Should be a relatively easy restoration considering you restoration capabilities.

Cheers

KPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 3380882)
I thought this information could be added on to the Standard thread, but as this is to be a restoration process also, a new thread was more appropriate.
After a year of perseverence my friend Akhilesh finally got hold of the Standard which had been parked in the same garage for 45 years.
A single owner, the present owner is 84 years old and received it as part of his marriage settlement from his father in law.

Parked in the same garage since when? 1968! When the car was last on road, The Beatles, Hippies & Minis were at their prime!

This does prove-Barn Finds DO exist in India!

The ever-Faithful Armada is at it again! I've lost count of how many Vintage cars it has rescued.

Cheers!

Though looks rusted, it is not so at least on the body shell.. Needs only cleaning and painting and other mechanical restorations. Once restored it will be a cute little beauty. Great find and your friend is quite lucky. Only thing is that he should not dump it in some open yard exposed to the vagaries of the weather and must start restoration work at least on body and chassis forthwith.

Thank you KPS & Fintail, yes- barn finds do exist and I am quite sure there are a few more waiting to be discovered. The Armada still rendering yeoman service.

Hello rajeev k, restoration is an ongoing process, expect to commence sometime in June.

Regards
Chauhan

i sincerely hope the owner restrains himself from an all out shiny restoration.just clean it up and see what comes out, sort it mechanically, and use it as is

Looks pretty cool, any pics of the interior and the engine ? What the mileage showing on the clock.

Suggest a careful wash and then take things from there.

Is the interior original as well ?

A splendid and unbelievable find vintageman. Please post more pictures of the car's engine bay and interiors.Restoration needs to be done following the original pictures. There are a number of Morris Clubs especially in the U.K., other Western countries and some older British colonies.I believe members there will be eager to render help for the restoration process.
After all, a 1934 model car will be quite rare today, as a survivor.:)

Wow what a find. She looks awesome. A good cleaning will reveal the true car . Are you going to repaint and redo the whole car or just do a sympathetic restoration by changing and doing up only the required. We all are interested to see more as usual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 3380882)

Another fantastic find, which we have grown accustomed to expecting from you Captain. I urge you and second Awini to just give it a chance to see if the car cleans up well enough to retain the finishes as is.

Do write to the Standard Motor Club, they are a great bunch, very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINTAIL (Post 3380920)

This does prove-Barn Finds DO exist in India!

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 3380944)
Thank you KPS & Fintail, yes- barn finds do exist and I am quite sure there are a few more waiting to be discovered. The Armada still rendering yeoman service.

Chauhan

Chauhan Saheb Congratulations.
Barn find do exist, specially in remote places where people do not understand/appreciate old vehicles.
in last ten years or so, i have seen/helped people to rescue more than 5-6 cars. as i am a Jeep guy, even i rescued an original Willys for my personal use

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...llys-cj3b.html

Shubhendra Singh

Fantastic find. Looks like she was waiting behind that door to be found. Please share the original pictures of the car and also the current interior pictures.

Are you planning to restore the car as per her original look or do you have something else in mind? Please share.

Thank you all, for your kind suggestions. The car will be restored , the owner is presently using a Topolino as a daily driver ( for all chores and tasks ) and the Standard 12 will also be used as such. The owner is not comfortable driving a car retained in its original tatty condition.

I agree with him as I find it impossible to ride the AJS E2 I have been retaining in it's original condition ( including the cobwebs ).

Vintages are to be driven. And a restored car is a better proposal.

Regards
Chauhan

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageman (Post 3386199)
Thank you all, for your kind suggestions. The car will be restored , the owner is presently using a Topolino as a daily driver
Vintages are to be driven. And a restored car is a better proposal.

Regards
Chauhan

Quite agree with you sirjee! However careful one is, wear & tear is bound to happen. This particular Standard, well, with paint from the fifties, sixties, or who knows, even original, well, better it be restored. Also, its better to see a shiny car in daily use, rather than to see a tatty car, as a common person cannot appreciate it. Only a connoisseur can appreciate it! And people like us, are low in number....

As they say, Only a jeweler knows the true worth of an uncut Diamond! For others, it is all but a mere stone!

This particular person also drives a FIAT 500 you say? Very interesting, personality, don't we all agree?

Cheers!