Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 19:51   #31
Team-BHP Support

Great one Karl. I am simply amazed by the way you guys handle cars and pass it on. Since you are in the sweep right now I would love to hear stories of your Fiats + the Beetle . You asked for it.
Old 31st July 2007, 20:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Now that's a nice story! Do continue with the others Karl, I'm enjoying reading about them thoroughly.
Old 31st July 2007, 20:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
But I guess he's too lazy, only wants to see other people's cars being done & doesn't want to share his experiences with us.
Same thing with me! I've been requested to put forward a story on my latest acquisition.....but somehow often feel too lazy to do it! Maybe this is a common youth disease?
Old 31st July 2007, 20:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Here goes

My Grandfather was a keen automotive enthusiast, he was the HOD Automobile engg in IIT Bombay. His previous cars included a Wolseley and a 62 Fiat, MRX 8212. When he moved to Pune in 74, he wanted to replace his Fiat with a newer one, (not much choice then was there.) One Col Srivastav from Nashik wanted to dispose of his 73 Premier President, and a deal was struck. 15k if I remember correctly. I have the invoice somewhere. Being the enthusiast that he was, (heck, I found Polish spark plugs on the car), in the 80s the car was upgraded to Padmini spec, meaning new plastic grille, hubcaps, indicators, lights, trims, meters...you name it! In retrospect that wasnt a smart move, but back then he had a brand new 15 year old car.

Now my grandparents rarely ventured far out, and the car I estimate has covered under 50k kms. The car got a new speedo in 96, so not exactly sure, I havent found the log books. (BTW, I found an original one for 100 bucks yesterday). Infact since he retired in the early 90s, the running was not even 500 meters a day, to the Boat Club and back.

Cut to 2000(ish). The grandfolks decide that the old girl has had enough, and has to go. I was aghast, but they were only too happy to know I would like to keep the car, and she was mine. First things first, I raided grandma's house (she wasnt too pleased), and dug out the original front grille, which is near impossible to find. It made such a world of difference. Bit by bit I sourced original side trims, indicators, lights, and other misc bits. Special thanks to forum member President for a set of brand new hubcaps and indicators. His car has inspired me to get my car in order. So next was touching up the 25 year old cellulose paint, which was still superb in quality, but cracking in many places. The lower half was repainted last month, but im not too happy. Will post pics in a coupla days. The plush seats are still supremely comfortable, and were renewed in the 80s with extra bolstering (so my head hits the roof!). I doubt anyone can do this kind of job today, so Im ignoring the 2 rips in the front seat.

Since then I've also added an elegant horn ring. They are so convienient to use, I sorely miss it in any other car I drive. (Need it in Puneri traffic). Pic is shot on my bonnet. Note flawless paintwork. Sigh, the times they are achanging. My new paintjob looks crap now, wonder how it will look in 25 years.

Mechanically the car is a dream, having run so little. Quarter start, which has Kiran most amazed . Grand dad had put in some special pistons, beats me what. She also has a lotta gizmos like an alternator, AC (never used it though), tacho, oil pressure and vaccuum guage amongst other things which were unheard of back then. Methinks Ill keep these. The sunfilms will defnitely go though.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:03   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, nice to see such a comprehensive episode on your cars Karl!

Btw, reg. your president, uh, have you thought of fitting the original horn button I gave you yet?

Oh btw, I just remembered you telling once that you were planning to fit the slim bumpers from the delite onto your car....as I SMS'd you there is a delite to be broken here tomorrow.....do you want the bumpers? The front one's got rather bent at the centre though (as they'd towed the car with a rod kept in between), rear one's good enough.....I want the bumperguards off one though...

Last edited by Stanher : 31st July 2007 at 22:07.
Old 31st July 2007, 23:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Slim bumpers made way to the delite in India from the 103 car. However, elsewhere the bumpers as seen in Karls car was a standard do.

check this

Il sito ufficiale della Polizia di Stato - Autostoriche
Old 31st July 2007, 23:59   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks 1100D! I knew that though!
Anyways, I (& even Karl) like the slim ones (prob. because of the more 'classic' bumperguards) better!
Old 1st August 2007, 00:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

While I am looking out for a set of good slim bumpers for the deilght, its purely for posterity. They never came on any other 1100 worldwide. The same profile was found on pre 63 cars, but bent in the centre, and the rear bumper is quite similar but shorter. Plus, Ill need them for the Delight I hope to buy some day.

Shyam, give me pics of the bumper and confirm with me.
Old 1st August 2007, 00:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Probably thinking about it right now, I will reinstall ours.

In our case, our car has been rear-ended manytimes by Taxis and Ambys, and each time the slim bumpers could not provide much protection. Eachtime, they needed to be repaired, and with each passing time, they wouldn't get back to smooth shape. Thats when our folks decided to have the padmini stuff given to our car and voila, everytime its rear-ended, its always us doing the smiling!!

But thinking about the fact that this car isn't our daily drive, would make sense to get the slim ones back. But for some reason at our parking place we can't get rid of the front bull bar (oh thats not from a Maruti, but fabricated)
Old 1st August 2007, 00:37   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Plus, Ill need them for the Delight I hope to buy some day.
I knew it!

Quote:
Shyam, give me pics of the bumper and confirm with me.
Uh, I dont mind taking the pics. when I go tomorrow (although the last time I did it aroused a lot of suspicion from the scrapguys there!).....but as I said, the car's scheduled to be scrapped tomorrow, following which I'm not sure where all the parts are going to go....so I'm not sure if there'll be enough time for me to revert with the pics......to give you an idea, these are the later delite ones without the chromed look....& as I said, front bumper's like, caved in at the centre (makes an impression of that car looking very sad!) but looks like it can be straightened out...I do want 2 of the bumperguards though if you dont mind.....you did say you had a few extra ones too...
Aside, 1100 bumpers are getting to be a rare item now.....much to my indignation, I've seen some of these minus the bumperguards fitted (very crudely!) to the 7-seater autorickshaws here, among the many ones that are running around with fiat bumpers!
Old 1st August 2007, 02:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic Dickra!!! Lovely thread with stories and pics to match. Dont know how i ever missed this one. Karl is a true inspiration to all of us classic car fans. No wonder he is christened "Fiatwalle". Keep up the good work bud. We're proud of you. And do keep us updated about the Bug!!
Old 1st August 2007, 02:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stories Karl, REALLY interesting

Cheers!!!
Old 1st August 2007, 04:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

See Karl deekra! People are really interested in the stories, they are fun! Kepp them coming boy!

And you too Stanher, pronto!!

Last edited by iraghava : 1st August 2007 at 04:31.
Old 1st August 2007, 09:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the kind words guys, but the credit goes to the people who looked after these cars for so many years. Infact besides my aunt and Grandfather, Special credit goes to Robert Sampson, who has been maintaining the Standard 10 and my 1960 Fiat since the day we bought it in 1960.
Old 1st August 2007, 11:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey all you Parsi Dikras and others "aspiring to be in queue" for "giveaway old cars" of Parsis Dikras - this is a great idea that you all gave me. I have a nice collection of thin original FIAT 1100 bumpers at home in Mumbai. Let me get them nickel / chromium plated. I also have the 1100D aluminium grille (like the one that 1100D has in his car in Kolkata). I'll put them on in my 1994 car MH01N5507 when I restore it to give it that classic look.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks