Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 01:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Simple. Get an old Fiat, you're half way there. Yell profanities to everyone who leans on it, your closer still. Top up the radiator with Evian, and you're there!
DAMN! I'm one-thirds of the way there already
Old 13th September 2007, 10:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice car Karl, get the mechanical gremlins sorted out and then bring it to Mumbai for restoration a-la 3112. Then see the end result !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th September 2007, 12:58   #63
BHPian

hehe iv grown up in these cars,toured all rajasthan and upto bombay in the back seat in the late seventies/early eighties, learnt to drive on one when i was about 11, had my first crash in one...it has the best damn non assisted steering iv driven!! my last fiat's speedo never went over 60 so we used to guess speed by counting how fast the streetlight poles went past.....you know im almost tempted to get myself another fiat... almost!
i remember at least 10 fiats that we had over the years,most of them were DLK 20 or DIK 20 (still have DLK 20, on my karmann now,DIK 20 gone, was last on a maruti 800)especially a white deluxe BU,in the early eighties, with floor shift and bucket seats.
and of course, UTL 8221, which we bought from dehra dun as there was no stock in delhi,which was stolen and was found with "things" in the trunk!

hey ishan, munnu called from vishakapatnam, he's been trying to get in touch with you.you in del or moradabad?
Old 13th September 2007, 18:48   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Nice car Karl, get the mechanical gremlins sorted out and then bring it to Mumbai for restoration a-la 3112. Then see the end result !
Thanks but no thanks. Id rather not spend that kind of money when Im not even earning! Besides, we have very talented people working in Poona as well.
Old 1st January 2008, 18:49   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

December has been a very eventful month, and a great way to end a great year. I picked up this virgin 63 Vespa last week, a one owner scooter still in original paint. I had seen her on the road last year, but she hasn't been started since then, so will need minor fiddling with before she is ridable. I dont intend to paint it for a while, Id feel to guilty to destroy the original finish, plus it has zero rust! Perhaps Ill think of it after a coupla years. She is missing the taillight, front Piaggio badge, front brake lever and side foot rest, otherwise seems mostly intact. Im still learning about these scoots, so feedback would be appreceated. Plus, any leads on finding original spares in Pune/Bombay?

The bike also came with the plenty of documentation, including the first Commonweath insurance policy for 22 rupees and 50 naya paise, and the reciept of sale for a princely sum of 2544.79!

Stay tuned for a coupla more projects!
Old 1st January 2008, 19:19   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Great buy Karl, congrats again!

Boy you keep saying that you dont have space/budget and yet you end up buying more vehicles........same pinch!

Atlhough MHP 7151 doesnt seem like an early 60s registration? So it was obviously re-reg'd when a couple of years old.....?

And yeah- I thought the meter was same shape as a chetak one? Or was that on even earlier models (I recall seeing a few Vespas with them as well.......or were they alterations?)

Last edited by Stanher : 1st January 2008 at 19:22.
Old 1st January 2008, 20:11   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Atlhough MHP 7151 doesnt seem like an early 60s registration? So it was obviously re-reg'd when a couple of years old.....?

And yeah- I thought the meter was same shape as a chetak one? Or was that on even earlier models (I recall seeing a few Vespas with them as well.......or were they alterations?)
The registration is original. MHP was available from 61 to 65. The bike has been in Maharashtra from day one.

Some scoots (59-62 i think) had a Piaggio meter like this one, but the one on my bike is original as well, unique to Indian scooters.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st January 2008 at 20:13.
Old 1st January 2008, 23:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

karlos, hats off to you mate ! Keep them stories coming..
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:25   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The registration is original. MHP was available from 61 to 65. The bike has been in Maharashtra from day one.
I didnt mean the MHP series but the 7151....Ive seen even '65 vehicles with MHP 2***....so was wondering if 7151 was a later date....
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karlji, for yet another good buy. If one notices carefully, the speedo on Karlji's scooter has a housing specially made for such India specific scooters and the base of this housing exactly fits in the shape of the older speedo as posted by Karl to Stanher's query. So maybe they couldnt build a speedo a la Piaggio so they plonked in a housing without touching or altering the original cut for the origional speedo. Wah Wah!!
Old 2nd January 2008, 06:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Karl, any updates on your Beetle, or the 1100-103, or the Fantabulous?

Nice Vespa. If given a nice thorough wash, it would really look good. I'm already liking the patinated look.......
Old 2nd January 2008, 08:50   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the Beetle is painted, but im looking for 2 wheel rims for it. The engine has been mounted and started, brakes need to be assembled. Will be driving it to Bombay this month to finally complete the car!

The 56 1100 is mechanically fine and reliable, I use it quite regularly, much to the amazement of others on the road.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:28   #73
BHPian

Hey Karl, Congrats on the purchase of you Vespa. This may be of use to you although it is a restoration of an earlier model of Vespa. Also, IMO, the white color (pre-restoration) looks much better than the bronze that the owner has restored to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
Some scoots (59-62 i think) had a Piaggio meter like this one, but the one on my bike is original as well, unique to Indian scooters.
Even I thought it must be an alteration but I found the same meters on all Vespas that I have seen so far.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 3rd January 2008 at 10:33.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:33   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Karl on getting the Vespa.

By the way, I saw a 1956 BYH standing in a sorry condition on the road behind my building in Kohdhwa. I am not getting time to come to Pune. Can you please check it out ?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:17   #75
BANNED

Karl 2 weeks back i was in Pune and Saw one Classic layed down very close to "Chandini Chowk" Shinde Nagar, covered by yellow Sheet and Car was Blue color some rust on doors looks like Impala, did you checked that one also for your collection.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks