Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 00:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!

After reading Guderian's post yesterday about a 35year old collectible Gillette Adjustable Razor, I had to turn mine into a collectible too! (Dad has been actively using it since 35 years!)

On hearing of the auto-enthu forum, dad offered to show me something we may just find interesting! So there I was, having cleaned & packed the razor in a box, ready to put it into the cupboard as a time capsule, when dad handed me over my grandfathers 1957 Driving Licence!

It consisted of 1 long sheet of paper, folded ~5-6 times.

The Cover Page :
Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 10042
Size:  760.0 KB

The Page 1 & Pg 2 with name, address & other details :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-photo-1.png

Page 3 must've needed pic, wasn't there - hence the cross. Page 4 with Motor Cycle & Light Motor Vehicles ticked :
Name:  photo 2.PNG
Views: 10878
Size:  729.0 KB

Page 5 & Pg 6 for renewal of licence & Driving Regulations :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-photo-3.png

Page 7 & (partly) Pg 8 has the rules explained with figures.
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-photo-4.png

And finally Page 9 & Oops, an endorsement too! :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-photo-5.png

Followed by a plain brown cover page.

He also showed me some pics of the cars we had. Namely, an Austin of England, an Ambassador Mark 2 and a FIAT.

The FIAT : My dad remembers it as a car that was quite a troublesome one, but worked like a charm when it did. :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-car-photo-1.jpg

The Austin of England : Dad remembers it as the absolute most trouble free cars that was used for numerous South India trips back then :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-car-photo-2.jpg

The Ambassador Mark 2 : A daily workhorse that my grandfather used for Home-Office-Site commutes. :
Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!-car-photo-3.jpg

I thought, given there were a handful of cars those days and given the completely empty roads of Bangalore, the concept of driving licence wouldn't have been existent itself.

But then dad tapped my head & reminded me that a Driving Licence wasn't just a licence to Drive, but also a document to say you actually knew driving.

Anyway, it was a nice walk down the memory lane for him and an amazing experience for me.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2014 at 08:23. Reason: Correcting typo
GrammarNazi is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 12:35   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Vintage & Classics Forum. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 12:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@GN thanks for sharing that !

The Austin looks a class apart !
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Woah.. thats really something. !!

The instruction for the driver while taking turns - like sticking the hand out and rotating anti clockwise etc.... Did any actually follow them?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:06   #5
BHPian

OMG 3 cars in 1957! What were you guys, Royal?

Nice to know people still preserved such family antiquities. Priceless. And great fact that, about the Driving License being a document to prove you actually knew driving, and not just a 'license to drive' like it is nowdays!

Btw, awesome Austin!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 30th June 2014 at 15:12.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:36   #6
BHPian

1957 Driving License after 57 Years!

Purpose of Page 9 was also good.

-
SS
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:39   #7
BHPian

That's a lovely piece of history there! Made me feel happy to see the Austin. My grandfather had a similar car, though I only got to see it in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The instruction for the driver while taking turns - like sticking the hand out and rotating anti clockwise etc.... Did any actually follow them?
Actually, lot of them did. Including the truckers on the highways. I remember, as a kid, when we used to go on road trips the truck and bus drivers on GT road used those hand gestures (for stopping, taking turns, etc) all the time.

Another interesting thing that had caught my eye during going to school was, the bus driver used to push the clutch twice while changing gears, i.e., disengage the clutch - pull the gear lever into neutral - engage the clutch - disengage the clutch - put the gear into the next higher gear - engage the clutch. I reckon he was habituated of driving the old buses with different levers earlier. (So many old memories refreshed! )

Last edited by dreamseller : 30th June 2014 at 15:41.
dreamseller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 16:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

What a delightful piece of history !

The snap of the FIAT appears to have been taken after a small accident ? The right headlight seems to be in spot of bother and a dent is visible on the steel bumper.

And it was great fun to have a dekko at the '57 licence in detail and imagine what must have been happening at that time as well at the time of the notings & renewal endorsements.

Great cars and great snaps - thank you for sharing them !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th June 2014 at 16:18.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 16:25   #9
BHPian

One of the pics says the license is valid only for three years. It means a renewal every three years. Owning a license might have been tedious those days i guess.
Old 30th June 2014, 20:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful trip down memory lane. I had no idea Andhra Pradesh was even in existence in 1957!

Quote:
You're making me feel really old . started driving in 1993 and used all the "hand signals" in my first few years of driving!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 21:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's what I did while riding my dad's Lambretta in the late 80s. Most vehicles had no turn signals then. I guess <35 aged drivers are not even aware of these signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Another interesting thing that had caught my eye during going to school was, the bus driver used to push the clutch twice while changing gears, i.e., disengage the clutch - pull the gear lever into neutral - engage the clutch - disengage the clutch - put the gear into the next higher gear - engage the clutch. I reckon he was habituated of driving the old buses with different levers earlier. (So many old memories refreshed! )
Double declutching... that is needed when gears don't have synchromesh.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th June 2014 at 21:25.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Anyway, it was a nice walk down the memory lane for him and an amazing experience for me.
What happened to the Select? She seems to be Madhya Pradesh registered. Indore/Bhopal perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
OMG 3 cars in 1957
One need not have been royalty to have multiple cars in the 'Fifties.

The pics are definitely NOT from 1957. The Fiat pictured is a 103D "Select".

Production actually began in very,very late 1957, for the 1958 model year.

As this one is a "Select", and not the Selectish Millecento, this example would be post 1958.

And the Ambassador is a 'sixties Mark-II.

Seeing the old Select pics, I recall that my grandfather used to have a MHP registered SuperSelect, in Poona (obviously!). Now he has a turquoise 1100D.

We used to also have a Willys CJ3B, MHN/2191.Nagpur registered, as is evident. Imagine, back in the day, she used to go right upto J&K, right upto Madras and Bombay.

There were many more. A "BYF" something was also there. Long gone. Sigh! ::Sniff::

My grandfather still has his 1963 issued DL.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th June 2014 at 21:44.
Old 30th June 2014, 23:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On hearing of the auto-enthu forum, dad offered to show me something we may just find interesting! So there I was, having cleaned & packed the razor in a box, ready to put it into the cupboard as a time capsule, when dad handed me over my grandfathers 1957 Driving Licence!

It consisted of 1 long sheet of paper, folded ~5-6 times.
That is some find! Good to know you've preserved it all these years!
But the address in the licence sounds confusing- Himayathnagar and then Risala Bazar, Bollarum (which is in Secunderabad! and quite far from Himayathnagar)
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 00:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After reading Guderian's post
On hearing of the auto-enthu forum, dad offered to show me something we may just find interesting! my grandfathers 1957 Driving Licence!.
Please thank your Dad for sharing this with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servegaar View Post
One of the pics says the license is valid only for three years. It means a renewal every three years. Owning a license might have been tedious those days i guess.
Before '57 I believe a license had to be renewed each year.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 00:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:

But then dad tapped my head & reminded me that a Driving Licence wasn't just a licence to Drive, but also a document to say you actually knew driving.
Haha so true..stark contrast to today's scene with the legions of assassins the RTO/PVD unleashes onto the streets with barely a pretence of testing driving and road skills.

At the time I got my shiny plastic 'smartcard' licence, my parents and grandad (all hardcore drivers) were appalled that neither my driving school 'curriculum' nor my PVD driving test included any evaluation of knowledge of road rules (both legal and otherwise), driving etiquette, courtesies and customs. I could go on and on about today's Driving License test but that's
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks