Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 21:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian built/assembled classics

lets have pics and details of all oldtimers assembled or manufactured in india...that could include (but not limited to) dodge kingsways/plymouth savoys, fiat 1100 (and cousins), hindustan 10, ambassador (and cousins), standard 8, 10, herald/gazel (and cousins), 2000, dolphins, montanas and anything else ive missed

lets start with arguably the most coveted of the lot, the dodge kingsways...54 thru 57 (unsure if the 51-53 models, though popular, were assembled here)

popularly known as the "small fin model", it had minor trim differences with the 56-57, and options with motors as well...this beaut from bombay is completely restored ground up and in fab condition...

the next 56-57 model ("large fins")...lesser chrome than the previous model...

its cousin was the plymouth savoy, again, very minor differences, most notably the headlight "hoods"

the final version had ridiculous fins, and quad headlights...58 i guess...again, a brilliant restoration...

all above cars were shot at last years rallies in pune and bombay, a public event, so im not blanking numberplates...

got any more pics or info? share!

cheers
k

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th July 2006 at 21:19.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2006, 21:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hindustan

As i dont have pics of the eary Hindustan 10, lets start with the later models...

based heavily on the morris minor, note the M of the morris badge replaced with H

the landmaster, the predecessor of the amby, had a side valve engine, no tailfins, flat bonnet, and different dash from the amby we know...(morris oxford series III)...this was gifted to the present owner by the original owner (my neighbour), and is in very original condition...

there was a wagon version called the traveller made for a short while as well

then came the OHV version, the instantly recognisable amby mk1...note the cool accessory side trims

the mk 2 had only cosmetic changes, unfortunately i dont have any nice pics....the main changes were front grille, bumper overriders and badging.

then came the mk 3...the grille was far less ornate, round sidelights, regular taillights (as opposed to the 2 piece unit), and badging.

then was the mark 4, nova etc which im not going into

cheers
k
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2006, 10:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

Great info Karl. I'm not a huge fan of vintage cars, but I appreciate a well maintained machine!
Old 25th July 2006, 11:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics karl. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

now for my favorites...the fiats!

the 1100 103 "nova millicento" (new 1100) was launched in india in 54...these are the earliest of the "dukkars", made only till 55. in relatively fewer numbers. They had the 3 bar aluminium grille, "egg" taillights, and twin round meters and millicento plaque on the dash...it featured the early yellow hornbutton...this particluar car is very very original, wanting only in bodywork...

56-57 was the now infamous center fog light model. It featured taillights with seperate indicator lenses, a number plate illuminating light simliar to ambys, large meter with horizontally progressing needle

58 to 62 was the first of the select series. It grew the familiar tail fins, but still retained the suicide doors. interiors were largely unchanged. This car is very original, barring the fuel flap addition.

63 and 64 had the super select...commonly called cut glass model, as it gained quaterlights...

also a much stronger front grille appeared, along with thicker side trims...also, trim under both windscreens and along the roof line dissapeared. The external Fuel filler cap was now concealed under a flap
the teardrop side indicators changed to round units, and there were a very few other changes...

in 65 came the 1100 D, or delight. Thus entered the padmini in its earliest form. The very early cars had a chrom grille, later moving to aluminium. The side trims and indicators continued from the select, but the meters were now 3 round units housed in the same shell. the last of the delights did have padmini type meters. The beige car was owned by my neighbour from new till a couple of years back, is all original down to paint and upholstry...

in 72 came the premier president, the first premier badged car after fiat left. largely similar to the delight, barring grille, hubcaps and badging, the next year saw the introduction of the padmini. This car belongs to yours truly, lacking correct indicators.

Old 26th July 2006, 22:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

this just an over view, for details, visit

http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/indianstandards.htm

The factory started out under the name Union Motor Co. in Madras (now Chennai) in 1949 from what I can guess. Somewhere along the way it was renamed "Standard Motor Products of India", or STAMPRO. They first started out assembling Vanguards, and I think Ferguson tractors, before moving on to the 8s, 10s and Pennants in succession. Curiously, the Pennant was badged a 10 as well. Pennant production ceased in mid 61, but the Companion continued till late 62.

these are the vanguard phase 1 and 2

the 50s saw the introduction of the 8, 10, and pennant.

this 8 has been sitting in pune since years...

this super 10 is a single owner vehicle...very original

in 59-60 came the pennant, and companion, which lasted till 63

BYH 5123 is my pride and joy

then came the herald mk 1 in 61...this 63 car was formerly of the princely state of dharampur, having covered only 5000km to date!

the mark 2 came in 66...this is a lovely one owner exampe, though recently sold.

then came the mk 3 in 68, the 4 door herald, made only in india..

for a short while the companion version was produced as well...

in 71 came indias first indigenous car...the gazel

then came the commercial vehicles, standard 20...based on the atlas

the later indigenous version was called the micro

fianlly came the illfated 2000, largely a rover sd1 with a vanguard engine...

for more on all of the above, visit

http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/...ndardindia.htm
Old 27th July 2006, 19:40   #7
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for the info Karl. Was not very well informed about these indian beauties, till now.....
Old 27th July 2006, 20:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks for sharing the info nd pics karlos. you really do know your vintages. nice thread
Old 27th July 2006, 21:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread, Karl!
The '56-57 Kingsway is a long time favourite. My grandpa had one in the same blue and white paint scheme. Time and finances permitting, I might just pick one up for the sake of love.
As for the Fiat 1100, I'll be joining you in Pune on August 15th.
Cheers.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2006 at 00:03.
Old 28th July 2006, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Great work yaar!
Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 28th July 2006, 01:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

On a sidenote, whenever I see classics, i have a mixed reaction depending on the type of classic.
One section of classics is the exotic classics, cars which were the pinnacle of technology/performance/comfort in their times.
Then comes the ordinary classics, i.e. normal cars which got very old and never got sent to the junkyard.
This brings an interesting question. The first maruti 800, the original japanese one can still be seen on roads and there are a few in mint condition. So lets say 25 years from now, if somebody is still running one of those, will it get the classic status.
It will be no ordinary classic too! In another 25 years this car would be remembered as one which heralded the new dawn of Indian Automobile industry. To the Indian Automobile scene, the maruti 800 is an icon which surpasses anything the mercs/audi's/hondas/toyotas can throw at it. It was the first on the scene. It was the first time middle class could own a car.

Why is VW Beetle such a classic. Not because its extraordinary, but because it was the car which gave mobility to the common man. What beetle did for Europe, 800 did for India.

So will you guys look back at the 800 the same way as we look back at the beetle now, or the same way we remeber 1100s and the old ambassadors and the defunct standards etc.,?
Old 28th July 2006, 03:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
the landmaster, the predecessor of the amby, had a side valve engine, no tailfins, flat bonnet, and different dash from the amby we know...(morris oxford series III)...this was gifted to the present owner by the original owner (my neighbour), and is in very original condition...
Great info Karl. Keep 'em coming.
The Landmaster is nothing but the Ambassador Mark 1 right.
Also there was a car called Baby Hindustan. Ever heard of that?
Old 28th July 2006, 20:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

hey tsk1979, i completely agree with you...where these "children of a lesser god" lack in pedigree, they make up in popularity...believe it or not, ive always dreamed of finding a mint old shape 800 to preserve for future generations....infact ive collected all the original catalogues and manuals...

edmund, revert your car to stock specs...shes a classic now! ;-)
Old 28th July 2006, 20:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Great info Karl. Keep 'em coming.
The Landmaster is nothing but the Ambassador Mark 1 right.
Also there was a car called Baby Hindustan. Ever heard of that?
howdy
the landmaster was similar to the ambassador, but differed in the following respects

sidevalve engine...and flat bonnet (no characteristic hump)
no fin tails at the rear
completely different dash and steering wheel
misc trim

the baby hindustan is the maroon car in the pics, BMC 3209 (note vw beetle tailights fitted!)
Old 28th July 2006, 21:41   #15
BHPian

Hey there, the Landmaster is very much different like Karl said Its carbon copy of the Morris Oxford...

Cheers Ed..

Last edited by egangsta : 28th July 2006 at 21:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks