Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 13:26   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats a really rare find Speedy. There must be only a handfull of these left. Though it seems to have an OHV engine.

Also, the 61 car isnt a Landmaster, its an Ambassador. Do put up pics of that as well.

Cheers
Karl
thank you karl. when i saw this car i remembered you so took the snaps. there are only a handfull of these left and this one is as original as it gets. seen others but in the ground or modified with other car parts.

i was testing you guys to see the level of observation. it is not a landmaster meter and clock but of a 61 ambassador. you said you have the clock from you old car so i said i would share the picture for the guys to see how it looks in the car.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:30   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
was this car black earlier? i have a strong feeling that this car was possibly, locally bodied as a hearse, thus the lack of rear doors.
Wasn't the woody a two door originally?? at least the 2 i've seen were!!
Old 13th September 2007, 13:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wasn't the woody a two door originally?? at least the 2 i've seen were!!
were the ones you saw morris minors? the minor traveller was a two door woody, but it was a much smaller car too. a car as large as this should have come with four doors, also, if it were factory built, it should have a single piece roof. there is a joint in the roof of this car just above the pillers.and the roof does not flow with the lines of the car, i find the body too angular to be factory made for this particular model of car
Old 13th September 2007, 14:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
was this car black earlier? i have a strong feeling that this car was possibly, locally bodied as a hearse, thus the lack of rear doors.

the rear doors are there awini and it was not a hearst. the guy is the third owner. i know the previous owner so i can say this was not black previously
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2007, 14:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

the rear doors are there awini and it was not a hearst. the guy is the third owner. i know the previous owner so i can say this was not black previously
i did not mean tail gates i meant rear doors.. on the sides. morris oxfords did come as travellers but were mostly four door(and tail gate) and all steel. if this is an oxford(unlikely), why is it badged as a landmaster, i still feel this is not a factory body.if this was kc's car which he got from somewhere down south then this is the car im talking about.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

i dont think this a is a hearse awini, it looks like a normal landmaster woody to me.... similar design was used by morris minor and mini cooper aswell this was the standard style od stationwagons that time popularly known as woodys
Old 13th September 2007, 14:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

Nope! the ones i saw were not minors, they wer landmasters. I remember seeig one in dark green and another in black. If i'm not mistaken, landmasters were once offered with such a body called the Traveller

Last edited by JayD : 13th September 2007 at 14:43.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:45   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
i don't think this a is a hearse awini, it looks like a normal landmaster woody to me.... similar design was used by morris minor and mini cooper aswell this was the standard style od stationwagons that time popularly known as woodys
it may not have been a hearse, and I'm not disputing whether the car looks good, its just a theory on why this body is on a landmaster platform. but the point is, is it factory made? which is unlikely, i remember seeing many locally built station wagons on ambassador and premier platforms, when i was younger. some premiers even had flat bonnets and rectangular lamps, but none of these were factory built.
i know Morris minor traveller and mini countryman are similar, the mini by the way is not a true woody, just cosmetic, unlike the minor where the wood is structural.

Last edited by awini : 13th September 2007 at 15:03.
Old 13th September 2007, 15:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i did not mean tail gates i meant rear doors.. on the sides. morris oxfords did come as travellers but were mostly four door(and tail gate) and all steel. if this is an oxford(unlikely), why is it badged as a landmaster, i still feel this is not a factory body.if this was kc's car which he got from somewhere down south then this is the car im talking about.
spot on awini it is that car. but i dont understand why people give wrong history. it has the original push down front seats. the wood also on the roof of the car is original i checked it myself.
Old 13th September 2007, 15:04   #130
Senior - BHPian

This is the morris minor woody

Mini Woody

And there were 4door landaster travellers too, but havent seen any of them with wood though

Last edited by JayD : 13th September 2007 at 15:06.
Old 13th September 2007, 15:24   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as I thought. Ive only seen one other landmaster woody, it was down south and offered for sale. It was even advertised online with this pic.

The car speedy put up is indeed the same, with the same regn number. I wonder why the lovely shikaar light was removed.

Regarding the coachbuilding controversy, heres a brochure.

Old 13th September 2007, 15:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

jayD i knew one person who had a morris minor and mini woody.
Old 13th September 2007, 19:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Just as I thought. Ive only seen one other land-master woody, it was down south and offered for sale. It was even advertised online with this pic.

The car speedy put up is indeed the same, with the same regn number. I wonder why the lovely shikaar light was removed.

Regarding the coachbuilding controversy, heres a brochure.

well thanks for the pic of the brochure, but i see differences in the car and the brochure, especially the flow of the roof-line, and the absence of the pillar over the rear wheels on the car, badging. but then the brochure features an artists rendering and not an actual photo, so there could be differences in the final product, plus speedy swears by it, so i accept it.
but brochures don't really prove much, i have a brochure lying around somewhere, for quantum cars, a sports car company based in chandigargh, who were supposed to make diesel and petrol powered sports cars in the early nineties, that never happened, did it.. but that's something for another thread.
a little skeptical still... but accept it
Old 13th September 2007, 20:03   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
spot on awini it is that car. but i dont understand why people give wrong history. it has the original push down front seats. the wood also on the roof of the car is original i checked it myself.
Quote:
plus speedy swears by it, so i accept it.

a little skeptical still... but accept it

awini you missed my post you are right. i dont swear by it at all. i had agreed to your point earlier itself when you mentioned the previous owner.
Old 13th September 2007, 20:23   #135
BHPian

Don't know how relevant this is going to be here but here is a pic of 1955 Morris Oxford Traveller "Woody". Its not in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks