Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 12:42   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats a 55-6 Fiat 1100, the first of the lot.
Thanks for that; I pass by the car every day on my way to office and always wonder who it belongs to. It's a pity to watch it lie and gather dust. But it looks as if it's being cleaned twice a week, and the parking location varies slightly, so I suppose the owner is using it to some extent.
Old 5th December 2007, 16:55   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Thanks for that; I pass by the car every day on my way to office and always wonder who it belongs to. It's a pity to watch it lie and gather dust. But it looks as if it's being cleaned twice a week, and the parking location varies slightly, so I suppose the owner is using it to some extent.
It certainly looks like its a regular runner. Sniff around, talk to the owner. Tell him to join the Fiat Club.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:10   #198
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this rare Montego Esatate outside Zaffraan the other day. This is the first time Iv seen the estate version of the car.

Btw Popular Car Bazaar has a couple of Montegos sitting in their showroom. I believe the cars are New Old Stock.

PS - Sorry about the horrible picture quality.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:19   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
This is the first time Iv seen the estate version of the car.
Pune has a couple of Montegos I've been regularly seeing since they were new, a green estate and a maroon sedan. They are both Bangalore registered though.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:59   #200
Senior - BHPian

can anyone tell me what the montego 'clubman' was? i've only seen the sedan and the wagon, but have never come across this particular variant. Pics would help too.
Old 21st December 2007, 17:23   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pune has a couple of Montegos I've been regularly seeing since they were new, a green estate and a maroon sedan. They are both Bangalore registered though.
I remember seeing a couple of these around here too but thought they were some imported Nissans or something! 'never knew Sipani tried to sell these as well!
Old 26th May 2008, 12:43   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

All about my car honey" on NDTV Good Times is featuring major vintage and classic collections across India of late, and this week was Tarun Thakral. I was pleasantly surprised to see a neat Landmaster in the collection. I sneaked in a few shots with presenter Gautam Sen explaining the nuances.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian built/assembled classics-01.jpg  

Indian built/assembled classics-02.jpg  

Indian built/assembled classics-03.jpg  

Old 26th May 2008, 15:00   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Great find there! I havent seen that style of badge before though. Most probably aftermarket items.

Is that car running yellow plates? Is it a period number?
Yes Karl the car was sporting Yellow number plates and was a Private Taxi I guess. Regarding the period number, am not too sure. The car was manufactured in 1962 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
great find Suren!! The badge at the rear looks like the one i remember, but it should be on the Right side where dukkars usually have "fiat 1100" logos. Haven't seen the ones on the side before though.

P.S: Is this a Trivandrum car??
Jay that was spotted in Palghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
@ Suren181- that OHV badge is something i have not seen. Its IMHO not original but fabricated. I have not seen an OHV badge with an arrow. Secondly the one on the rear is probably the closest to the real thing but then again I have not seen one with wings on both sides of the emblem.
Ram, what do you have to say??\
Gogi I am unsure about the authenticity of that badge too. However I did spot yet another car with the same logos on it during this trip.

Am attaching snaps of yet another beauty spotted in Kerala. Amongst these the best car was the immaculate Landmaster that I saw near Tellicherry (in Kerala) unfortunately pics of which I could not take.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian built/assembled classics-img00371a.jpg  

Indian built/assembled classics-img00372a.jpg  

Old 28th May 2008, 11:29   #204
BHPian

Am attaching snaps of a Fiat 1100D taken this morning. Perhaps the Fiat experts could throw some light on this car. It was deriven by an elderly gentleman and seemed to be a daily driver a small peek into the cabin revealed a a silver speedometer console with a Huge speedo in the center and two small gauges on either sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian built/assembled classics-img00398a.jpg  

Indian built/assembled classics-img00399a.jpg  

Last edited by suren181 : 28th May 2008 at 11:32.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:55   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Am attaching snaps of a Fiat 1100D taken this morning. Perhaps the Fiat experts could throw some light on this car. It was deriven by an elderly gentleman and seemed to be a daily driver a small peek into the cabin revealed a a silver speedometer console with a Huge speedo in the center and two small gauges on either sides.
Thats a 1100 Delight circa 68-71, identified as a later model by the shorter rear bumper and Padmini style wheel, and I see hints of the original aluminium hubcap as well. The silver plate on the speedo console tells us it is most probably 68-69 (give or take). I say this as most Delights Ive seen post 69 do not sport this plate, like my 71 model. I see incorrect side trims, all lights (head, tail, indicators, number plate etc), painted bumpers and incorrect window rubbers. The regn number can possibly tell us more.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:04   #206
BHPian

Quote:
TThe regn number can possibly tell us more.
Karl, it sported a ADY regn on the number plate. Am not too familiar with the older regn. number system in AP. Lets hope Stanher or someone else could confirm the year of manufacture and whether it's a period one or not.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:07   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Karl, it sported a ADY regn on the number plate. Am not too familiar with the older regn. number system in AP. Lets hope Stanher or someone else could confirm the year of manufacture and whether it's a period one or not.
Well my 1969 Fantabulus is ADY regd, so that should be about right.
Old 30th May 2008, 22:25   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well my 1969 Fantabulus is ADY regd, so that should be about right.
ADY series ranges from late 60s to early 70s (upto '71 or 72)
So this car could be anywhere between 68-71. Suren, no pressure but if you could recall the full number I could place a more appropriate guess.
BTW Karl, are you sure those are aluminium hubcaps? The front bumper's been painted silver so could be painted chrome ones too?

Meanwhile, here's a sadly b*ggered-up select Ive often seen (infact I think I used to see this car on the road even earlier, as long as 6-7 years ago)
'got a chance to photo it this afternoon (was sitting in my own fiat delight while taking the pics.- for 'safety' so couldnt take pics. from all angles- maybe some other time!)

I'd say the car isnt too badly maintained, wouldve looked all the more better with the doors left correct, the side-trims and original grille (although a few selects were fitted with these too) intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian built/assembled classics-img_0645.jpg  

Indian built/assembled classics-black.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 30th May 2008 at 22:32.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:05   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW Karl, are you sure those are aluminium hubcaps? The front bumper's been painted silver so could be painted chrome ones too?
I doubt it, it looks genuine to me. Besides, the design itself is unique and never offered on later cars, so there is no question of it being a later Padmini wheelcap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Id say the car isnt too badly maintained, wouldve looked all the more better with the doors left correct, the side-trims and original grille (although a few selects were fitted with these too) intact.
I really doubt this.
Old 31st May 2008, 15:30   #210

That is the Super Select Grille isnt it? And this is the first time i have seen these type of doors on a Select. A bit stupid i think!!

Most Viewed