Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you own a Vintage car in today's time?
Yes 85 68.55%
No 28 22.58%
Maybe 11 8.87%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 17:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Indian youth & Vintage cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
As a mere teen, I feel that I really should voice my opinion.

As is known, we have a 1100D. But frankly speaking, had this car not been with us, I would've not turned towards classics.
Lastly, a green 1100D, MHJ/7281 was parked in Pune. A guy looked at her for a while, and said, we hardly see any Padmini's these days. I merely corrected him, and told him that the car was a 1966 1100D. He kept on staring into the distance.....
What really made me read it like a poem, maybe that tune which makes it one.

I'm a late 20'er & i'll gladly park as many oldies i possibly can but not as a primary ride. It's more about conserving the rarities in them than reliability. I do have an 85' here but that's as back as i can go so far.

I'ld be exactly at home spotted in an immaculate Impala than an ex-showroom tinner, since the days i could say a car from cattle till the day i eventually last.

Rotting heaps do bubble my eyes, but i'm more into the future it holds once it's pulled out & worked upon. I'll definitely save a rotting barge to a keeper one day, which i've promised myself already.

Thanks a bunch ad3952n
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:27   #32
BHPian

I will be happy with a Ambassador (any version), but I voted no because I don't have the time to pamper it with.
Old 17th September 2014, 19:30   #33
BHPian

This thread caught my eye a while back,however I felt I had to dig up a few pictures from my past which would be relevant to this.

Indian youth and Vintage cars

First of all,I can't say that I know the distinction between a Vintage and a Classic.I've always thought that anything older than 1940's would be vintage.Like GTO said most of my peers(I'm 22) seem to be more at home discussing the latest android updates and so on,Never really had any spirited discussion in terms of Automobiles other than the their occasional

"wah,mast gaadi he yaar"

I feel it has a lot to do about exposure,Anyone who comes from a family with petrol heads in it is very well on the way to becoming one him/herself or atleast he/she has the potential to be.

That does not mean that they are indifferent to it.Many of my friends who don't know much can still look at a classic jeep and still go like thats a cool vehicle.Its just that most of the our youth hasn't been exposed all that much towards the world of classics.Hence they keep themselves involved in things that are closer to them-like their phones.

In my case,I was born and brought up abroad,So yes I did see quite a few cars on and about.Also my dad played a very big role(Huge enthusiast himself).

My first,How do I say this,Shock,at how beautiful classics can be was in my 7th or 8th standard.Some sheikh or the other wanted my dad to take his mechs(Dad ran a couple of garages) and go through his(The sheikhs) cars and check if they were in good condition.I stepped into the dusty old barn and first I laid my eyes upon a Corvette stingray.I was awestruck.

The other cars were(which I can Identify)

*Cadillac Series 75 (I remember my dad saying that it had bullet proof glass all around)

*Cadillac Eldorado(Probably a 4th Gen with that huge tailfin)

*Maserati Quattroporte(At the time I made a note of this as it was the only car there along relatively modern lines)

*There was a Merc.The ones with the huge grill.

*An FJ-40.

You may wonder how do I know the names of these cars that I saw when I was that young.Well.I had this.I wish I had pictures of them though.

Indian youth & Vintage cars-20140917-18.45.05.jpg

This is other such incident where I truly started taking an interest in classic cars.

Indian youth & Vintage cars-xer308.jpg

Indian youth & Vintage cars-xer309.jpg

Indian youth & Vintage cars-xer307.jpg

I remember seeing a cobra symbol on its steering wheel when I sat inside it.So I'm guessing that it was a late 60's Shelby.Probably a 350.It was being restored by my dad for a guy who was working in the US Navy.I saw it once again fully restored.I don't have a picture of that though.Looked amazing.

Then this which made me drool over it for most of the auto show where it was displayed.This is one vehicle that I would love to own.
Indian youth & Vintage cars-copy-img_0464tbp.jpg

Finally this Firebird Transam.Lying abandoned at a nearby ground.Kept suspiciously changing locations though.
Indian youth & Vintage cars-07102008173.jpg

All of these pivotal moments,I feel,set the path for me to gain an interest in classics.So yes,definitely I would love to own a vintage/classic.Although if they are still available(along with the required support)by the time I am able to procure one,remains to be seen.

Regards,

Venkat

P.S-Those pics of the 'stang are quite old and were taken with my dads cell phone camera,hence the shoddy quality.
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks