Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

View Poll Results: Will you own a Vintage car in today's time?
Yes 85 68.55%
No 28 22.58%
Maybe 11 8.87%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 00:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian youth & Vintage cars

Folks! I don't mind being called orthodox for my liking towards vintage and classic cars. Most of us here are between the age group of 20 to 40 years which I feel is a pretty young age. So, in the sea of fluidics, thor design, boxed up and razor-sharp designed cars do you miss out on owning a vintage car?

Agreed to the fact that maintaining or restoring a vintage car is tough task today but do tell me honestly, do you still have the urge of owning a vintage car and then park it in your present fleet of cars or will you move away sighting the upkeep issues?

Over here in the forum there are many members who even now live their dream and passion of owning a vintage car but the majority is of those who either never owned a vintage beauty or never even thought of owning a vintage beauty.

Even today if I do get a chance, I will be more than happy to own a vintage car even with all the upkeep hassles. You all actually appreciate the honest efforts of vintage car restorers but do you all wish to restore and keep a vintage car in today's time?

Will you feel happy being spotted in a Chevrolet Impala as much as you feel happy being spotted in a Fluidic Verna/ Elantra/ Sonata or Honda City et al. I am not comparing the cars of today with vintage ones, all I am asking is that, will you all share the same emotion with a vintage classic car as you always share with a present generation car?

1) Whats that one thing that makes you skip your heart beat when you see an immaculately kept vintage car?

2) Whats that one thing that comes to your mind when you see a vintage car rotting it's way to death?

Do share your views.

Thanks

PS: Mods, if a similar thread is there, then please merge it. I couldn't find one.
ad3952n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian youth & Vintage cars

We all (atleast majority of us) love to own Vintage car(s) but the Vitamin'M' part keep us away (restoration, parts availability, maintenance, etc) Also we can't have them as our daily ride considering the age factor and wear & tear.

But for sure if we could get a brand new production car in vintage looks, it should sell in good numbers. One of my favorite car (not vintage definitely) is Standard 2000. I would buy it if Standard Motors (???) could sell it keeping the same body & exteriors with a little improved interiors and modern engine (may be the MJD)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Exactly Boss, the desire to own a superb vintage beauty has always been there in our hearts. For me as a person, I really like the Landmaster car that used to be owned by Tauji during his tenure with RAW.

Personal favorite of my Paa (since his college days) is the VW Beetle that used to come with a soft top cover.

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2014 at 23:09. Reason: Typo
Old 5th September 2014, 13:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
We all (atleast majority of us) love to own Vintage car(s) but the Vitamin'M' part keep us away (restoration, parts availability, maintenance, etc) Also we can't have them as our daily ride considering the age factor and wear & tear
It is how you look at life. I have used and continue to use an old car as my daily drive, be it the rains or rush hour traffic,and am none the worse for it. ( Neither is the old lady)

It is the fear factor and lack of air conditioning perhaps that makes you feel that way??

On the Vitamin M factor, there are cars out there for every budget for the enthusiasts. Seek, and though shalt find Start with something small and beautiful, I guarantee you will get hooked, after that there is no looking back.

Last edited by noopster : 5th September 2014 at 15:23.
Bulldogji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 14:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't like to own a vintage car unless I am associated with it in some way. I remember while I was in college, doing my engineering, I declined to inherit a Bullet.

My uncle owns a '62 Bullet in very good condition. He had acquired it when one of his borrowers couldn't repay him and instead paid him in the form of the bike. He completely restored it and used it for a couple of years. But now he doesn't ride it anymore as he is busy with his business and uses one of his 3 cars. He had offered me his Bullet to take and use it. It was in very good condition but somehow never pulled any strings in me. I declined.

A few years later, my dad was contemplating selling our 13 year old M800 and I was desperately pleading to keep it or give it to me. I know this car is not a vintage but had it been 23 or 33 years old too, I would have had the same feelings. I still feel like tracing the car and buying it back, might as well do it someday.

Now my Uncle also a Hindustan 14 (belonged to my great grand father). About 8 years ago, he had similar strings pulling at his heart. He salvaged the heap of rust from our village field and restored it completely (he went a bit overboard with the recent makeover). I know some day he will again offer me this car and somehow I feel I will decline again.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th September 2014 at 20:26. Reason: Hindustan 14
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 14:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

As a mere teen, I feel that I really should voice my opinion.

As is known, we have a 1100D. But frankly speaking, had this car not been with us, I would've not turned towards classics.

If teenagers do speak about cars, many would rather discuss about Ferraris and stuff. I on the other hand, am always up to chat about Biscaynes and Kingways, not to mention about Heralds, and of course, the Mercedes Benz W111.

Now, I showed my friends a Fiat 1100 103D Select from the rear, at a distance, their expression was-

"Oi! Is it an Amby?"

"Dude, Let us go and have a look, watcha?"

We approached. "Hey, it looks different!" And yes, the read the monogrammmes, and proudly proclaimed it to be a Fiat 1100. Oh yes! And they were like, this car sure looks better, than a ramshackle Ambassador. Old cars are surely sturdy, commented one of them, kicking the wheelcaps.

"Hey, don't you have one of these?" Asked a guy. I merely winked. The Fiat 1100 surely is a piece of art.

Another situation, a shiny black 56 Dodge Kingsway emerged out of a paintshop. The priceless expression on their faces. "Wow Dude! Only if I could have one of these!"

And by the next time, on 15 Aug 2014, BYH/3105, Fiat 103E was out on her rounds, in Pune. This bunch saw it, and sent pics to me.

A smartass chauffer was dozing off while driving, in Calcutta, 2011. Black '47 Buick USJ/7447 went by. All he saw was a black streak, and somehow, he was driving properly.

I saw USJ/7447 later that evening, and really, it was immaculate.

What I am really trying to say, is that naysayers can be made to like Vintages. But, awareness levels must rise.

I would like to sum up, the youth can surely be made to appreciate vintages, but it can take some effort. Chiefly, increased awareness levels, and yes, seeing more classics on road can help. Many can easily be converted into RX100/RD350 and Bullet (Of course!) fans. There is a Bullet in Pune, MHP/5050. We actually had a tussle to decide who would go and speak to the owner. Ultimately, no one did.

Lastly, a green 1100D, MHJ/7281 was parked in Pune. A guy looked at her for a while, and said, we hardly see any Padmini's these days. I merely corrected him, and told him that the car was a 1966 1100D. He kept on staring into the distance.....

Last edited by FINTAIL : 5th September 2014 at 15:13.
FINTAIL is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

If I have the time and the money, I would definitely like to own a Fiat (I am fine even with the Padmini).
But I have observed that there are no good enough mechanics around to take care of the maintenance part.
We may find one, but be rest assured his hands will be more than full with the other cars around.

Hence, as I said, time and money - Yes.
But not right now. I am happy maintaining my GTX, waiting for it to get to the "Vintage" category. Hopefully I would be able to hold on to it till then.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 5th September 2014 at 15:18. Reason: spelling mistake
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why don't the manufacturers introduce the cars with the shape of classic era?
I would love to own one and it would also help in the maintenance aspect (modern car easily available electric/mechanical parts, less prone to breakdown)
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 15:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why don't the manufacturers introduce the cars with the shape of classic era?
It is probably because of changing R&D scenario and with the time they have changed their outlook to survive in the rising competition. Plus, to amalgamate a vintage car with technicalities of a modern car might not fetch them the required profits.

Honestly, In India, people still have a soft corner for the classic and vintage cars.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Owning a car is a necessity for many people, but for many others, possessing antique cars is a matter of pride and serves as a symbol of prestige. Many enthusiasts consider this collection as a hobby. But there are several others who collect as an investment option where once they buy it, its value increases and they can sell it after some time at a higher price than originally bought. The value of a vintage car is directly proportional to time. Collecting vintage cars could be a hobby, a passion or even an obsession.

Attraction for vintage or classic cars is on rise in India. Vintage cars are unique and a dream of every collector. It gives these collectors an adrenaline rush to own the rarest and the maximum vintage beauties. Only a person who can appreciate the heritage can understand the beauty of these cars.

Vintage car enthusiasts make loads of effort collecting and maintaining their beauties and to do so going to the best car restorator is the solution. Vintage and classic car restoration means refurbishing the car to reincarnate it to its original self. Restoration of a vintage car is a tedious and long process. During the restoration process, the missing parts are either found somewhere in the country, ordered from abroad or reproduced. The various steps included in restoration are: engine rebuilding, structural wood working, metal fabrication, auto body and collision repair, custom painting, mechanical system service, preventative and seasonal maintenance, major or partial restoration.

Some pictures:

A 1931 Buick caught in a traffic jam during colonial times. From The Automobiles of the Maharajas (Eminence Designs, Mumbai).
Indian youth & Vintage cars-1931-buick-caught-traffic-jam-during-colonial-times.jpg

The Maharaja of Narsingarh and the original pussy posse return from a successful hunt. From The Automobiles of the Maharajas (Eminence Designs, Mumbai).
Indian youth & Vintage cars-maharaja-narsingarh-original-pussy.jpg

Here are some of the links that found interesting:-
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...ajasthan200811
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...ortfolio200811
http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...-in-the-world/
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-341882.aspx/1

PS: Pictures were sourced from the above web links.

Have a good read.
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 16:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Though not much of a real vintage, but if I could turn back the time, I would have protested selling the Fiat 1100D we had. In fact, there was a time when we just wanted to get rid of it anyhow. We sold it for 15K in 2004. And the new owner took it straight for a 600 kms round trip.

Had I had the car now, I would have restored it to factory specs. One of my hidden but now an impossible to be true desire. The Reg. no. was fantastic - 101.

Last edited by saket77 : 5th September 2014 at 17:00.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 23:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite all the hiccups and phobia about ownership of older vintages and classics, I have met a sizeable number of youngsters who are very focussed and cherish the dream of either aspiring to own one or take interest in the upkeep of their treasured family heirloom of V & C's. As such, many of these have changed hands from one generation to another in the same family. The first such case that comes to my mind is of a 1929 Ford Model A owned by the Chavak family of Chhindwara (M.P.). The car is still in fine running condition. They have preserved the original sale receipt of Rs 2999/- from that era and display it during the rallies.

Though the present generation has many other priorities as the times have changed, we find many old car and bike lovers among them.

But sadly, in the overall scenario the love for old metal is on the wane due to several constraints. Parking space is a killer and the next factor is about the children going away to far off places of work (abroad too) after studies, while their aged parents are unable to maintain the old car or bike. The next fear factor is about spares and maintenance. The beauties are sold away hence.

I commend Bulldogji for using old cars as his daily drive. He has been spotted with his cars and clicked by FB friends on a few occasions. I do not take the liberty of using my old car as a daily driver only because of its being attuned to the old time traffic. Its extremely reliable and its fuel consumption equals some of today's C Class sedans. Also I am not very particular of the AC or power steering/window. The only fact I am worried about is its dynamics and manouverability in today's most erratic and eccentric traffic conditions. Hence, I take it out for a spin every weekend when the traffic is negligible. My Scorpio or Maruti do their duties as daily driver for me.

Despite all the odds, there are many promising youngsters who are still interested and swear by old automobiles. I have many FB friends who are in their 20's or even below 20 (two of them), who keep on asking me about the older cars always. One of them a schoolboy from Kolkata has opened a HM Owners page on FB. He has told me that he had aspired to study engineering and work at Hindustan Motors as an engineer, as Ambassadors are dearest to his heart - all this at age 17 ! One college student doing his second year in engineering came to the CIVAA vintage carnival two years ago and we became friends only due to the common like for old cars. He still calls me and meets me, asking if there is any good old car for sale known to me. Thats a very tough poser for me and I only hope I will be able to recommend a really good car to him someday.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th September 2014 at 23:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 23:54   #13
BHPian

Cant say about the rest, but I for one am game for vintage cars(if not all, then a selective few as per my taste).

Now, problem with youth is neither they are so allotted, neither they have so much resources to invest to maintain a vintage in spic and span. IMO keeping a vintage in non-original style is worst that not owning one at all.

These youth with passion for vintage rides, depending on their life commitments and suitability becomes collectors at later ages. Most vintage collectors I see are from mid to late age fellows. That's because they must have dreamed of these vintages in their youth, and realized their dreams at the first possible opportunity.

Keeping my fingers crossed for my time.
Grr7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 12:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

The problem is there aren't too many here in India that you'd want to own. I don't know about vintage, but I'd love to own a late 50s Jag XK150 convertible or an american muscle car from the 60s but you just never had enough of them here to be available to a wider audience in the used market
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
It is the fear factor and lack of air conditioning perhaps that makes you feel that way?
Lack of Air conditioning is one reason (at least in city like Chennai) Other reason being lack of performance on highways.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed