Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 01:16   #1816
BHPian

Merc 190 + Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Both cars evoke a lot of interest from me, but for varied reasons. Can you get us some more pictures of the cars, especially the Herald? It appears pretty special. Further comment on seeing more pics.
- Sure Karlos, I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow evening. But since spitfire lives close to the cars, he will probably post them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
It sure does! If you mean the headlamp panels, as I do, then yes it could be one of those rare mk3 companions!!
And if it can be bought, this time, I'm not letting it go!
- Hmmm, interesting ! I thought that that the merc would elicit more interest, looks like the Herald is the hidden gem here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
I'm in for both or anyone of them. help me please.
- bluestraveller, I see that you are from Karnataka, are you from Bangalore? Do you have any contacts in the RTO ? If the regn number of the cars is PMed, can anyone here figure out the owner and confirm spitfire's findings ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Both the above are government vehicles. I went and inquired(I stay right behind this place). They have been lying there because the original office shifted to a new place and the cars were left back. What angles do you guys want pics from?
- Spitfire, when you get the pics, can you please note down the regn numbers for the folks here ? I saw that the merc has a visible number (a fancy number too), the Standard does not have a plate in the front, the rear plate may be present...

Quote:
How about atleast the side of the herald?
'first time I'm hearing of a herald being used by the government though! Its apparent they eventually didn't like it and so left it in this state!
- I have been seeing these cars since around 2001 and I do vaguely remember some Govt dept office in the building behind the cars. But the building is now a serviced apartment for almost 2 years now. As spitfire mentioned, these cars may have been left behind by the Govt office... in which case it might be difficult to get them out, thanks to all the red tape that would be around them.

On the other hand, these cars might belong to the person who owns the building. Apart from your comment on Heralds rarely being used by Govt depts, the Merc also has a fancy regn number. '1111' in the old XXX-XXXX format, it is not quite common for Govt depts to pursue such fancy numbers, is it? There might be a chance that these cars may be privately owned. (Did Govt depts import LHD cars for official use ?)

Once the numbers are made available to you guys by PM, if the ownership of the cars is confirmed by someone, you guys can decide whether they can be pursued or not.
Old 13th January 2009, 01:27   #1817
Senior - BHPian

now, that herald companion/vitesse is fitted with an amby mark1/2 sunshed. also a mark 4/nova front bumper with indicators are fitted below the front bumpers.
@ stanher, i hope you are talking about this-
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-standard_herald_02.jpg

picture courtesy-Austin Rover Online

since the car is shown in the internet, i haven't blurred the liscence plate.

Last edited by amit V8 : 13th January 2009 at 01:30.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:21   #1818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
now, that herald companion/vitesse is fitted with an amby mark1/2 sunshed. also a mark 4/nova front bumper with indicators are fitted below the front bumpers.
@ stanher, i hope you are talking about this-
Yes, you're right, I'm referring to this! And this car was with me for a while, although not mine. :(

But this is a very rare feature on Heralds in India and this was the only car I've seen them with- they never came with 4 headlamps as on the Triumph Vitesse. The normal fitting was just 2 headlamps with the sidelights fitted beside them, like this:

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mk301.jpg

And amit, I guess you've been too much into Ambys!
That is very much a Herald sunvisor, not an Amby's (that wouldn't fit on a herald) The bumper also is very much a correct herald one, if you look closely. Only the sidelights are not (maybe from a mk4 amby), they are supposed to have been fitted just under the headlamp panel, as on the companion in the pic.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:56   #1819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
I have been noticing these two ladies rusting in peace on Wind-Tunnel road, Off old Airport road, Bangalore. [Close to the gate of the HP office campus]. They have been there atleast since 2001, initially there were no gates for this shed, which have been added sometime later.

Not sure if the Standard is in a condition worth restoring, the Mercedes definitely seems to be in a decent condition. Hoping that a fellow Bhpian will lead a rescue mission to free these two old damsels...

Attachment 88499

Attachment 88500

Attachment 88501

Attachment 88503

Hotstuff, thats really hot.

Those cars belongs to the college behind the shed.

I really doubt they are for sale.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:28   #1820
BHPian

both look like they need a lot of work , looking for a herald , post 64 model , anything lying anywhere?
Old 13th January 2009, 22:43   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
both look like they need a lot of work , looking for a herald , post 64 model , anything lying anywhere?
There is one here that was (and I'm sure still is!) for sale, a '67 mk2.

The price is too atrocious though, and every time I hear about it, I find a higher price being quoted for it!
Old 13th January 2009, 22:49   #1822
Distinguished - BHPian

-deleted, repetitive post-

Last edited by Stanher : 13th January 2009 at 22:54.
Old 16th January 2009, 01:35   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And amit, I guess you've been too much into Ambys!
That is very much a Herald sunvisor, not an Amby's (that wouldn't fit on a herald) The bumper also is very much a correct herald one, if you look closely. Only the sidelights are not (maybe from a mk4 amby), they are supposed to have been fitted just under the headlamp panel, as on the companion in the pic.
oops, hehe.my fault.
Old 16th January 2009, 03:05   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Not too long ago, I had an immaculate Herald Convertible (converted and with a fibre hard top. It was badged as the Triumph herald 1200 and was heavily modded by the friend who sold the car to me.) This car came with these dual headlamps as in the 6 cyl Vitesse. My friend called it the "Chinese Eyes" lights and told me that very very few Indian Heralds came with these kind of head lights. It was in mint condition and I enjoyed driving it with the hiss of the twin Webbers it came fitted with. He sold me this car as his wife, who drove it, was carrying a baby and during the course it became more and more difficult for her to get in and out of the car.

I drove it for a while and then sold it to another friend who stripped it down (why i still dont understand, it was mint when i sold it to him too) It still lies somewhere in his godown, incomplete and now missing a lot of original Triumph Herald trim. That happened in the course of his factory being relocated.
Needless to say its not for sale, not even to me!! He came back trying to coax me to sell my Heckflosse to him. I will only say that he does not commit the mistake of asking me for my cars again.

Since I got this car with these lights fitted and the original owner swears they were original, I dont know whether to believe him or not as the car had all original Triumph stuff on it, badges, Steering horn button, Smith meters & dash, wheel caps and trim, gear lever knob, etc, etc, amongst other things. What do you guys think. Anyone seen these kind of lights as OE on an Indian Herald?
Old 16th January 2009, 09:55   #1825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Not too long ago, I had an immaculate Herald Convertible (converted and with a fibre hard top. It was badged as the Triumph herald 1200 and was heavily modded by the friend who sold the car to me.)
Since I got this car with these lights fitted and the original owner swears they were original, I dont know whether to believe him or not as the car had all original Triumph stuff on it, badges, Steering horn button, Smith meters & dash, wheel caps and trim, gear lever knob, etc, etc, amongst other things. What do you guys think. Anyone seen these kind of lights as OE on an Indian Herald?
Wow, gogi! This is one startling revelation!

'never imagined you're an ex-herald owner! hehe...

Difficult to tell without pics. but from your description I presume the car indeed was a triumph, although I doubt if it really was a herald 1200, as those came with the "normal" early herald type bonnets (as on the mk1 standard herald) and didn't have twin webers but single solex. carbs:

http://www.canleyclassics.com/images...1200_solex.jpg

So I suspect it was actually a Triumph Vitesse that you had (wow!) just badged as a herald 1200.
Did it have a 6 cyl. engine?? And did you see what it was mentioned as in the RC? If you recall the engine/chassis no. I can tell whether it was an Indian herald or a triumph. The former always had a "6G" prefix before the no.
Got any pics. of the car when you had it, or if you could take any now?
OR, could've been indeed a 1200 with a Vitesse bonnet and maybe even engine (which explians the twin webers), modded up this way by your friend, or a previous owner before it came to India?

Now.......one question- WHY WHY WHY did you ever feel like letting it go??!!!
Old 17th January 2009, 10:56   #1826
BHPian

More pics...

It's was a busy week, could not get the pics earlier. Here you go gentlemen...

The side profile, looks similar to what @amit_V8 has posted.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic1.jpg

A rear view.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic2.jpg

Another pic.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic3.jpg

The interiors are in a bad shape.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic4.jpg

The location. The building on the right is a serviced apartment and the building on the left has a board that says 'Jeena logistics'. I have PM'd the registration numbers of both the cars to the folks here, if these cars warrant further investigation.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic5.jpg

Some snippets from the web:
"In late 69-70, the factory had indigineously developed a station wagon version, called the Herald Mark III Companion. Extremely rare, it featured a fibreglass tailgate and roof. These cars had bonnets with twin headlights just like the Vitesse. These cars are practically non existant today." Source: History of Standards in India

One more link...
Standard Herald Companion

But, though the side profile looks similar to the companion pic on the website, the rear end looks different? So I leave it to the experts...
Old 17th January 2009, 11:58   #1827
BHPian

Some comments...

The fuel-filler seems to be different from the pic on the net, it is a concealed type...
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fl1.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fl2.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fl3.jpg

The rear design is also significantly different. The 'fins' are missing, the lights are different and the hatch is smaller too...
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fl4.jpg
Old 17th January 2009, 12:03   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
It's was a busy week, could not get the pics earlier. Here you go gentlemen.
Most interesting. It is based on a Mk 3 Companion (4 door), but Ive never seen a rear end like that! Very possibly a factory prototype, also possible its an owner modification.
Old 17th January 2009, 14:09   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most interesting. It is based on a Mk 3 Companion (4 door), but Ive never seen a rear end like that! Very possibly a factory prototype, also possible its an owner modification.
That kinda circular tail lights were used for the Starline body built Premier Padminis too in the 1970's.The placing was also similar in Padminis(I will post a Padmini Starline picture). Guess this Mark 3 Companion must have undergone some touch-ups like the fin near the original tail lights, Starline like tail lights and the modified petrol filler cover.
Old 17th January 2009, 14:11   #1830
BHPian

Herald...

From the web: "This stylish estate verison of the Herald Mark III, called the Companion, was also unique to India. The roof/rear hatch door were made of glass fibre..." - This one has a fiberglass hatch too. The broken part is thrown in the car...
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic1.jpg

From the web: "Made only for a year (1970), And according to Shyam Krishnamachary, VERY rare now. This is actually the rarest of all - a 1969 (Madras) factory prototype, with 4 headlamps as per Triumph Vitesse." - This has the 4 headlamps too...
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic2.jpg

Quote:
- The quality of workmanship and the proportions of the windows, roofline, the fuel-filler etc. look quite good ? This may be a factory prototype...
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic3.jpg

Most Viewed