Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 19:14   #2281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
However, I was able to spot 3 1/2 classics rotting away..(3 and a half as i'm not sure there is any Austin Healey left in the Austin Healey with motorcycle tires - Is that even a Healey???

Upon some investigation - I found out that these vehicles are owned by a guy who gives them out for shootings (More like GAVE than Gives) - None of them seem to be in working condition.
All the cars are left open and with minimum security although everyone in the vicinity know the owner and are happy to tell you that he won't sell. Have his number if anyone wants to try their luck.
Man this is really sad!! All the cars (barring that ugly roadster- looks like some mix n match car, not sure what make) look complete! I especially feel for the red beetle!! Just the model that I like!

'cant believe such characters exist in our society!

Does the yellow Lamby polo also belong to him btw??
Old 25th August 2009, 19:15   #2282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
However, I was able to spot 3 1/2 classics rotting away..(3 and a half as i'm not sure there is any Austin Healey left in the Austin Healey with motorcycle tires - Is that even a Healey???

Upon some investigation - I found out that these vehicles are owned by a guy who gives them out for shootings (More like GAVE than Gives) - None of them seem to be in working condition.
The cars are familiar, spotted in many movies. I think the Beetle is Goa registered.

The roadster is an 'MB special' - BYJ 7007. Am I right?
Built by the Bhatena brothers when growing up in Amravati. Their father was a senior RTO official. The story of how the car was built was animatedly told to me by one of the brothers, now in his late 60s I should think. Based on a Standard 9 chassis, they plonked in a Wolseley engine, I forget which. Axle and brakes came from a Rover Speed Pilot, fenders from a Studebaker sedan. Everything was handbuilt by the kids in their holidays

The car was sold somewhere along the way, and many years later they saw the car and enquired about it, and were told "This is a very rare imported sports car, only one surviving".

It would be a regular source of (good) income for the owner, makes no sense selling them.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th August 2009 at 19:16.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:38   #2283
BHPian

Some of the cars seen at a shoot.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/583988-post146.html
Old 25th August 2009, 23:05   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Does the yellow Lamby polo also belong to him btw??
Yes Shyam.. That is a lamby and there were a couple of jawas and an old vespa...belonging to the same guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The cars are familiar, spotted in many movies. I think the Beetle is Goa registered.

The roadster is an 'MB special' - BYJ 7007. Am I right?

Built by the Bhatena brothers when growing up in Amravati. Their father was a senior RTO official. The story of how the car was built was animatedly told to me by one of the brothers, now in his late 60s I should think. Based on a Standard 9 chassis, they plonked in a Wolseley engine, I forget which. Axle and brakes came from a Rover Speed Pilot, fenders from a Studebaker sedan. Everything was handbuilt by the kids in their holidays

The car was sold somewhere along the way, and many years later they saw the car and enquired about it, and were told "This is a very rare imported sports car, only one surviving".

It would be a regular source of (good) income for the owner, makes no sense selling them.
Yes Karl..you're right about the registration number as always!!!..I spent 10 minutes blanking out the plates. Not going to do it next time

The roadster is in real bad shape and the only original part worth keeping were the wire wheels with the wheel hubs..

You're spot on about the revenue source from these cars..The owners never sell it and if and when they do, the asking price is too high and the condition of the vehicle is not worth the asking price (either mutilated or lacks originality)

The motor in yank tank (pic below) seems like a 4 cyl diesel transplant.. can someone confirm..

Last edited by R32_GTR : 25th August 2009 at 23:07.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:56   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Speedy bhai,

the vehicle is sans engine, sans green house, sans dashboard (might be kept away some where). I will ask if the same is available for sale.
That would be very kind of you. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
It definitely does look like a Nissan as in a similar one that ex670c owns. Pics of which are here:

1995 Nissan 4W73 by VFJ - ex670c's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

On closer look it seems to be a tow truck, how appropriate, did not speedy mention he is looking for a truck to tow his cars?
Thank you for the info Suren. Yes i am looking for a jeep or a truck to tow the cars. The Nissan/ dodge or the ford can do just fine. I shall create a trailer and the cars can be taken anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Abhi, do you recollect a similar Peugeot owned by a industrialist in Malabar hill, same colour but great condition? Driven by his wife. I believe that was for sale. Better that than this junk.

Thats not a Willy's i=unless you are speaking about the canvas topped jeep(?). This one is a Dodge Power Wagon.
Yes i had seen the car at Malabar hill. The person was from West Bengal and was asking a fancy amount for it at the time. I have not followed up on the car since then. Junks can be made to your taste and got at your price bhai .

Yes i was refering to the canvas topped jeep. It looks like the Willys we saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ Gogi & Speedy,
I will ask the detailed address to my friend & confirm it by tomorrow.
That would be kind of you Dhrishikesh. Thank you.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:08   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian

'came across this poor old Austin (made out by the radiator surround badge) rotting away, for what looks like decades, in the yard of an old bungalow that's abandoned for apparently the same time-period, while driving around in a colony in Secunderabad today.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3619.jpg

This pic. was all I could manage to take for today, as had seen the place for the first time, and was afraid of being seen as a trespasser! Although there was no-one around, I did see a plastic chair at the entrance of the house, so there must be some watchman there.

'feel sorry for both the house and the car! 'wonder why the latter was left behind there....maybe some kind of legal dispute going on over the property.

I presume its a mid 30s 12/4, going by this pic?

Austin 12/4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27th August 2009, 01:20   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
this car has been lying here for the past 8 years.
In case this old mystery is still not cleared convincingly, this car is indeed a 1934 Oldsmobile. She was a Parsi owned Mumbai car, went to Mangalore and has now been picked up. Probably the only one in India. Starman got it right on the 1st shot

Cheers harit
Old 27th August 2009, 01:32   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Found this Peugeot Convertible rotting near leela hotel in Bangalore
So this is where she landed up. There were two such cars in Mumbai, a yellow and a white one. One car landed up in Hyderabad, and was sold to the south, probably Coimbatore. On the way the trucker put cargo in the truck and broke the windshield. Probably this is the very same car. How sad
Old 27th August 2009, 10:35   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In case this old mystery is still not cleared convincingly, this car is indeed a 1934 Oldsmobile. She was a Parsi owned Mumbai car, went to Mangalore and has now been picked up. Probably the only one in India. Starman got it right on the 1st shot

Cheers harit
Here are pictures of the bonnet mascot and the Oldsmobile monogram that sits on the radiator shell.

Also a front view. The car is complete, but needs to be rebuilt.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-olds-mono-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-olds-mono-2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-oldmobile-1934.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 19:08   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So this is where she landed up. There were two such cars in Mumbai, a yellow and a white one. One car landed up in Hyderabad, and was sold to the south, probably Coimbatore. On the way the trucker put cargo in the truck and broke the windshield. Probably this is the very same car. How sad
The Hyd car was red. Ali Haider used to give us rides in it and in his Datsun Fairlady too.

Stanher. That Austin is a 7 Sedan and I remember it lying in a house in Marredpally for donkeys years.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:32   #2291
BHPian

@ harit That car was lying here in the city in mangalore, we asked it for cheap but the owner wasnt willing to give it. Few days back i got to know that the car got sold for a really solid price.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:20   #2292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Stanher. That Austin is a 7 Sedan and I remember it lying in a house in Marredpally for donkeys years.
Yes, you're right about the address- West Marredpally to be precise.

Anything further you know of it's history? Did you try and enquire about it anytime?
Old 28th August 2009, 12:31   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you're right about the address- West Marredpally to be precise.

Anything further you know of it's history? Did you try and enquire about it anytime?
It was said to belong to the howse owners cousin who left it with them and never bothered to take it back.

If you drive down west marredpally from the road opp St Anns School right to the end which is a T junction with SBI in front and Deccan Club on the right stop at the second last house on the right and ask for Ashwin. Tell him my name and ask him to show you his Vauxhall. This is a very original Velox that I sold them. Plese upload some pics of it.

My restoration shop was right opp this in the left corner house.

Two streets to the left you will find a house with a Pontiac fastback in it.

Also halfway down the above mentioned road is a house called Palace House. Try to speak to someone and ask them to show you they 47/48 Buick Custom. This is orange / white and very low mileage absolutely immaculate and the only Custom I evr saw with twin carbs.

Last edited by wasif : 28th August 2009 at 12:33.
Old 29th August 2009, 00:09   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
'came across this poor old Austin (made out by the radiator surround badge) rotting away, for what looks like decades, in the yard of an old bungalow that's abandoned for apparently the same time-period, while driving around in a colony in Secunderabad today.

I presume its a mid 30s 12/4, going by this pic?

Austin 12/4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Wow Shyam, that's a really exciting time-warp pic. Like cars would be found in the past, until the collectors/dealers started swooping down. I can almost feel the flora, fauna and the creatures around that piece of metal. Thanks, for sharing.

I'm sure it's not an Austin 7 though (through any of its variations - Ruby, Opal, Pearl, etc. whichever) but a 10 instead.
Old 29th August 2009, 08:44   #2295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you drive down west marredpally from the road opp St Anns School right to the end which is a T junction with SBI in front and Deccan Club on the right stop at the second last house on the right and ask for Ashwin. Tell him my name and ask him to show you his Vauxhall. This is a very original Velox that I sold them. Plese upload some pics of it.

My restoration shop was right opp this in the left corner house.

Two streets to the left you will find a house with a Pontiac fastback in it.

Also halfway down the above mentioned road is a house called Palace House. Try to speak to someone and ask them to show you they 47/48 Buick Custom.
I will try and check out these cars there when I'm free, most likely tomorrow being a sunday.

The white/orange buick 8 is a car I have never seen/heard of. Was it originally in that colour combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Wow Shyam, that's a really exciting time-warp pic. Like cars would be found in the past, until the collectors/dealers started swooping down. I can almost feel the flora, fauna and the creatures around that piece of metal. Thanks, for sharing.
You're welcome! Um, noting your interest, here is more of metal ravaged by flora, fauna and maybe creatures, albeit not in India (note: Karl, ravi et al may feel disturbed by *certain* cars in these pics.! :

Chasseur d'epaves anciennes... [Avertissement en page 1] - Anciennes Restaurations - FORUM Anciennes - FORUM Automobiles mythiques et d'exc

Quote:
I'm sure it's not an Austin 7 though (through any of its variations - Ruby, Opal, Pearl, etc. whichever) but a 10 instead.
I too suspected it wasn't a 7, because it seems to have 4 doors? (I see a door ajar, behind the right front door)
When I go there next, I'll try to see the sides of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks