Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 20:55   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, this is a rare early 'split windscren' camper!

'doesnt look that bad either.....maybe its actually a pending restoration?
Old 27th July 2007, 23:40   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, this is a rare early 'split windscren' camper!

'doesnt look that bad either.....maybe its actually a pending restoration?
Its actually very bad, plenty of corrosion. Is for sale.
Old 28th July 2007, 00:05   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its actually very bad, plenty of corrosion.
hmm.....is it originally from Goa? Or Bbay?
Old 28th July 2007, 11:34   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me give you guys a list of all the cars that we had in our family, from the time that I can remember ! The key word here is - "SOLD" - maalum nahin tha ki nahin bechneka. Anyways, itne saaloke baad abhi akkal aya - Karlos Singh - MRY3112 will never be sold at any price to anybody at any time. You can be sure of that !

BYN1737 - my father had this austin before I was born - SOLD
BMC8582 - A black 1960 standard 10 - I went to school in it - SOLD
BMC9291 - A golden and then painted black 1960 Fiat - SOLD
BMC1158 - A green 1957 standard super 10 - SOLD
BMC9008 - A blue and then painted black 1960 standard 10 - SOLD
BML7349 - A silver and then painted black Wolseley 444 - SOLD - "my first car" purchased for 4000, sold for 12000
MMF1845 - A 1977 Padmini Deluxe with floor shift (first lot introduced) - SOLD
MMF3433 - A cream 1978 Padmini - SOLD
MAS720 - A white 1984 Maruti 800 - SOLD
MMY43 - A 1977 black Padmini, body changed, rally prepared - SOLD
BLB6986 - A cream 1987 Maruti 800 - SOLD
MH01U3518 - A 1997 silver Maruti 800 - WIFEY & CYRUS43 USE IT - not in very good shape though !
BLL4919 - A 1988 white Padmini - restored to RED WITH BLACK TOP - WILL NEVER BE SOLD
MRY3112 - A 1964 cream FIAT - restored - WILL NEVER BE SOLD
MH01N5507 - A 1994 white Padmini - WONDERFUL ENGINE - I USE IT EVERYDAY - engine goes into 3112 with the rally camshaft someday !

Still want to lay my hands on a good Standard 10 (not the herald due to the rear suspension problem - Stanher, can you give some info on wy driveshaft bolts break in a herald ?) and see if I can give Karlos Singh (Standard 10 wallah) a run for his money.

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th July 2007, 20:26   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Still want to lay my hands on a good Standard 10 (not the herald due to the rear suspension problem - Stanher, can you give some info on wy driveshaft bolts break in a herald ?) and see if I can give Karlos Singh (Standard 10 wallah) a run for his money.
Definitely my pleasure to answer your query Sir! Well, the driveshaft bolts (4 attaching each driveshaft on either side to the diff.) on the Heralds apparently have an allergy to our uh, not-so-amicable Indian roads!
Jokes apart, in most other cars, as you know there is just one single driveshaft with diff. included. The hubs are then fitted on either side....but in Heralds the diff. is separate from the driveshafts, whicjh are connected to it on either side by bolts (see pic.

Canley Classics - Reconditioned Halfshafts

hence in cases of extreme vibrations esp. on bad roads at high speeds, the bolts tend to get undone or even break apart! My mech. also told me that as the herald chassis is also slung under the rear axle at the back, in some cases if the frame gets bent upward on being hit by a speedbraker/bump, it gets in the way of the driveshafts, which during up-down movement of the suspension, hit against it & further tend to break apart!
The latter doesnt occur as often though but as for the more common case of the shaft-to-diff. bolts getting undone, I had this problem solved on my 1st herald 6-7 years ago by fitting 'locking nut' bolts made by TVS, where the nuts on these bolts get 'locked' once you tighten them & dont come off until they're opened by spanner!
Still, if the rear axle is your ONLY apprehension against the Herald, you can further eliminate it by changing the rear axle to that of the Standard 10....my mech. told me he'd done this on quite a no. of cars back then.......cant exaclty figure out but from how he describes it they cut the rear vertical frames of the chassis (that go under the rear axle) & fitted the 1-piece Standard 10 rear axle + diff. across...& problem's solved!
Yet despite this, the Herald by far remains the real McCoy...if you had a chance, I'd definitely recommend you go for a Herald (preferably the 2-door) BY ALL MEANS! The 10/pennant is a good car no doubt.......but the Herald is far ahead of any of the other Standards in more ways than one (even Karlos agrees to it! )
Old 28th July 2007, 23:34   #246
Senior - BHPian

What the... cant see any pics??!! oppps fixed now

Last edited by V-16 : 28th July 2007 at 23:40.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:34   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its actually very bad, plenty of corrosion. Is for sale.
karlos could you let me know details of how much the guy is asking for it. i would be interested in purchaseing it. wanted a vw van for a long time, couldnt get my hands on one.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:46   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup I knew it is a Merc. wheel......looks like a later model (60s-early 70s? As per Gogi's car...?)....but I like the look of the original (as in your pic.) one better!
Yup its a nerc wheel allright and it may be original. If its post 60. as these sreering wheels were put on replacing the ivory twin spoke without the big boss.
@ Karl- is this camper complete. Its a 50-67 camper, something im looking for
Old 29th July 2007, 22:06   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely my pleasure to answer your query Sir! Well, the driveshaft bolts (4 attaching each driveshaft on either side to the diff.) on the Heralds apparently have an allergy to our uh, not-so-amicable Indian roads!
Jokes apart, in most other cars, as you know there is just one single driveshaft with diff. included. The hubs are then fitted on either side....but in Heralds the diff. is separate from the driveshafts, whicjh are connected to it on either side by bolts (see pic.

Canley Classics - Reconditioned Halfshafts

hence in cases of extreme vibrations esp. on bad roads at high speeds, the bolts tend to get undone or even break apart! My mech. also told me that as the herald chassis is also slung under the rear axle at the back, in some cases if the frame gets bent upward on being hit by a speedbraker/bump, it gets in the way of the driveshafts, which during up-down movement of the suspension, hit against it & further tend to break apart!
The latter doesnt occur as often though but as for the more common case of the shaft-to-diff. bolts getting undone, I had this problem solved on my 1st herald 6-7 years ago by fitting 'locking nut' bolts made by TVS, where the nuts on these bolts get 'locked' once you tighten them & dont come off until they're opened by spanner!
Still, if the rear axle is your ONLY apprehension against the Herald, you can further eliminate it by changing the rear axle to that of the Standard 10....my mech. told me he'd done this on quite a no. of cars back then.......cant exaclty figure out but from how he describes it they cut the rear vertical frames of the chassis (that go under the rear axle) & fitted the 1-piece Standard 10 rear axle + diff. across...& problem's solved!
Yet despite this, the Herald by far remains the real McCoy...if you had a chance, I'd definitely recommend you go for a Herald (preferably the 2-door) BY ALL MEANS! The 10/pennant is a good car no doubt.......but the Herald is far ahead of any of the other Standards in more ways than one (even Karlos agrees to it! )
Dear Stanher - thanks for your immediate response. I feel that the basic reason for bolts breaking is excessive articulation of the rear axle due to a single transverse leaf spring layout which loses direrction as it's bushes wear out. There is nothing wrong in the basic design otherwise Nasir Hoosein and co. would not have won Teheran Dacca in 1970 (you know that they won in a Triumph 13/60 do you ?) Nasir still has this car in his Liberty Cinema garage in Mumbai. It is MHY ****.

No way I will put a Standard 10 axle in the herald. The whole thing is not engineered and willl not work, also looking at the stance of both cars, the Herald rear end will tend to locate "upwards" with the 10 axle.

Further, I have seen one Herald in Mumbai (Bandra) let me check it out and I will come back to you.

Do you know anyone in Hyderabad ? There is a Standard Companion lying in the road from Bala Nagar to the Hyderabad airport. I see it everytime I go to Hyderabad and then drive down to Zaheerabad and back (work - you know !). Maybe somebody can check it out.

Best regards to you,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th July 2007, 00:04   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing wrong in the basic design otherwise Nasir Hoosein and co. would not have won Teheran Dacca in 1970 (you know that they won in a Triumph 13/60 do you ?) Nasir still has this car in his Liberty Cinema garage in Mumbai. It is MHY ****.
Yes I'm aware that Nasir Hoosein had a 13/60.....its no surprise as to where he got the idea for the Gazel's front end!
about the rear end though!

Quote:
No way I will put a Standard 10 axle in the herald.......looking at the stance of both cars, the Herald rear end will tend to locate "upwards" with the 10 axle.
Yes you're right about this, main reason why I've strongly REFUSED to have said axle implanted on my Herald even though quite a few people (enthiusiasts, ex-owners & mechs.) suggested it!

Quote:
Further, I have seen one Herald in Mumbai (Bandra) let me check it out and I will come back to you.
Sure....if feasible with pics. of said car please!

Quote:
There is a Standard Companion lying in the road from Bala Nagar to the Hyderabad airport. I see it everytime I go to Hyderabad and then drive down to Zaheerabad and back
I've heard of one such car at the same location you mention from someone else here, who said there was a Super 10 too there......tried checking out that area throughout that road a few months ago but couldnt find any such cars........or maybe I couldnt find the location itself...anyways, will try going there again....did the car look junked/abandoned?

Quote:
Best regards to you
And the same to you sir!

Last edited by Stanher : 30th July 2007 at 00:06.
Old 30th July 2007, 00:27   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Engineless US jeep (70s?) lying outside a garage here.....quite close to where I'm getting my fiat done up...

Old 30th July 2007, 00:46   #252
BHPian

the 1st pic of the US Jeep has a restored one behind the one that is undergoing restoration.
Old 30th July 2007, 00:54   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
the 1st pic of the US Jeep has a restored one behind the one that is undergoing restoration.
That is a model with a longer chassis that happens to be for sale....but there is nothing original about that though barring the bodyshell....will post its pics. too in the jeep thread sometime later (feeling sleepy now!)...
Old 30th July 2007, 14:40   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I'm aware that Nasir Hoosein had a 13/60.....its no surprise as to where he got the idea for the Gazel's front end!
about the rear end though!

Yes you're right about this, main reason why I've strongly REFUSED to have said axle implanted on my Herald even though quite a few people (enthiusiasts, ex-owners & mechs.) suggested it!

Sure....if feasible with pics. of said car please!

I've heard of one such car at the same location you mention from someone else here, who said there was a Super 10 too there......tried checking out that area throughout that road a few months ago but couldnt find any such cars........or maybe I couldnt find the location itself...anyways, will try going there again....did the car look junked/abandoned?

And the same to you sir!
Dear Stanher - the Standard Companion is here - from the Hyderabad airport, turn left and then left at the signal which leads to Balanagar. After the second left turn, you will pass Chenoy & Co (Maruti service centre), then you will pass exactly nect to the end of the runway. It is around 1 to 2 kms after this point lying on the right side of the road.

I might be in Hyderabad on the 4th (not sure yet). Let's see if we can meet.

Best regards to you,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th July 2007, 17:56   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Stanher - the Standard Companion is here - from the Hyderabad airport, turn left and then left at the signal which leads to Balanagar. After the second left turn, you will pass Chenoy & Co (Maruti service centre), then you will pass exactly nect to the end of the runway. It is around 1 to 2 kms after this point lying on the right side of the road.
I passed this area many times on my recent trip to Hyderabad, though I didnt notice it anywhere. Shyam, could you sniff around and let us know?
Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks