Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 12:38   #3571

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
I've seen this Austin A40 Devon (BYJ 237) on a couple of posts earlier; one where it looked like she had a fresh coat of paint (sometime in 2007).

Back then, the car was resting in Parsi Colony, Dadar. Right now, her rusting spot is in Chunabhatti. A friend clicked these pics for me. According to his investigation, the owner is a local baker. I don't know if he wishes to sell the car.

@pro's : need your opinion on how restorable this car is, how much one should pay, etc. I intend picking it up once I have some cash to spare.

Ahh!! BYJ 237!! I wondered where she was. I was begining to miss her! This car is very much for sale!! Two years ago was offered to me for a lakh. At the time it had a recent coat of black paint and all the trim. There is a thread on this car BTW. Do check, you will find it buried somewhere.

We checked the car out, buy later, concluded that it wasnt worth it. the engine is in shambles If I remember correctly. There are more such treasures in dadar too.. The Hillman has fallen apart after this years rainfall I believe.

Anyways, coming back to the car, Many vital trim pieces seem to be taken out or robbed. It had a fabulous "Austin of England" badge in the front as well which seems to be missing. Sad to see her this way. She used to be in much much much better shape. In fact, I have seen it being driven on several occasions too.. Sad...
Old 27th January 2011, 15:14   #3572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
The car #2 i.e. the silver LHD Mercedes W126 is his daily driver of sorts which he uses, wait for it, to deliver bread!!! :O True story guys.
He he reminds me of another pav wala in Panajim who used to deliver bread in his Beetle.

The white LHD Merc can be seen in one of the pics parked behind the Austin.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:10   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ahh!! BYJ 237!! I wondered where she was. I was begining to miss her! This car is very much for sale!! Two years ago was offered to me for a lakh. At the time it had a recent coat of black paint and all the trim. There is a thread on this car BTW. Do check, you will find it buried somewhere.
I tried a Google search for "Austin" and "BYJ 237" on the forum; couldn't find any relevant threads. if you find the thread, please post it to me.

Quote:
Anyways, coming back to the car, Many vital trim pieces seem to be taken out or robbed. It had a fabulous "Austin of England" badge in the front as well which seems to be missing. Sad to see her this way. She used to be in much much much better shape. In fact, I have seen it being driven on several occasions too.. Sad...
Yes, a lot of the trim pieces have been taken out. The Austin 'flying A' logo on the bonnet and the radiator grille ornament are missing too. I have some side shots of the car and the "Austin of England" badge is present.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:54   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
I stay just 15 minutes away from this one. It's accumulated a lot of dust and dirt underneath while makes one think like it's 'sinking' into the ground; perhaps a couple of years later it'd really have!

Anyway, coming back to the owner aka the 'pav-wala' as he's locally known there.
The car #1 i.e. the Austin still has a running engine in there. The owner does not wish to part with it.
The car #2 i.e. the silver LHD Mercedes W126 is his daily driver of sorts which he uses, wait for it, to deliver bread!!! :O True story guys.

@no_enthu_da : Just my 2 cents, but you may still try. Cheers!
Oh so this is owned by the same guy. I have seen him drive his W126 300SD to deliver pav all right. May be for sale. These Minx's are getting rare too.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:59   #3575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Hillman has fallen apart after this years rainfall I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
These Minx's are getting rare too.
Cyrus Which is this Hillman?
V 16 Gogibhai Which Minx's you are referring to?What about your Elegant Dukkar restoration?
Regards Dr Anjan C
Old 27th January 2011, 20:35   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oh so this is owned by the same guy. I have seen him drive his W126 300SD to deliver pav all right. May be for sale. These Minx's are getting rare too.
Gogi phaji, There was a Minx 55 or so in Mahim near our old office
it belonged to a maharashtrian family and they had spoilet it by modifying it as they liked and killed its originalty.

The used it for 50 years after they brought brand new from Ddajee Dhagjee in 50,s

They changed the door handles to those of Ambassadors
Carburettor of Fiat and so on , later sold as scrap for 7500/- it was a complete car it seems they just got fed up. gogi ji had they still had that car there would have been lot of buyers today.The family was called MUNGEKAR'S
Old 28th January 2011, 04:21   #3577

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Cyrus Which is this Hillman?
V 16 Gogibhai Which Minx's you are referring to?What about your Elegant Dukkar restoration?
Regards Dr Anjan C
There is a Hillman Thread on the forum. This car is the one which with the thread starts. I was going to take it on as a project, but then it is way beyond repair.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:30   #3578
Distinguished - BHPian

A poor little Topolino that's been lying at a local mechanic's since ages (I first saw it back in 2007)....it still seems restorable although, as expected, he's quoting a ridiculous price for it!!

He claims the engine turns and that he has most of the missing parts stored safe inside.

The last pic. is not related to this car but a sad sight nevertheless- the hubcap was actually intact, without a hole drilled through the centre!!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8134.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8135.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8132.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8133.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8136.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_8140.jpg
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:38   #3579
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse Rotting @ Bandra !!

Seen this (1960 ??) Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse rotting in Kherwadi, Bandra; exactly opposite to main entrance of Government Polytechnic today morning. The car is in very bad shape, especially body which has started rusting & the interiors as well as exterior fittings have been in very bad shape.
(Unable to have more pics as I was in hurry.)
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mb-heckflosse-w110_1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mb-heckflosse-w110_2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mb-heckflosse-w110_3.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 3rd February 2011 at 17:41.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:08   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse Rotting @ Bandra !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Seen this (1960 ??) Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse rotting in Kherwadi, Bandra;
Heck, nice find ! I don't remember having seen this one - must be a recent abandonment..
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:38   #3581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Seen this (1960 ??) Mercedes-Benz W110 Heckflosse rotting in Kherwadi, Bandra; exactly opposite to main entrance of Government Polytechnic today morning.
How come these cars dont get towed by the cops? They take away cars within 2 hours of parking in a no-parking zone.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:49   #3582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How come these cars dont get towed by the cops? They take away cars within 2 hours of parking in a no-parking zone.
What if someone just towed it away and just kept it for parts.
Whose going to say anything.
I've seen a number of abandoned cars in Kolkata that have been just rotting away.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:56   #3583
BHPian

@Mpower

Simple since they have no chance of extracting money out of it they dont waste their fuel in towing it.

And supposing the owner comes to know that its towed and if hes a psych then he will screw the happiness of the cops.
Old 4th February 2011, 13:05   #3584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@Mpower

And supposing the owner comes to know that its towed and if hes a psych then he will screw the happiness of the cops.
how will he do that? there are provisions in law to deal with such people, usually in a mental asylum. if the car is abandoned on public property which is not a parking area, the municipality can tow it away and auction it as scrap.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:24   #3585
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
What if someone just towed it away and just kept it for parts.
Whose going to say anything.
I've seen a number of abandoned cars in Kolkata that have been just rotting away.
Many good to be restored cars have become scrap due to such negligence.

This Fintail is good to be restored with a little bit of TLC. Hope someone rescues it.

Talk to the guys who has left it out, if no one is responding, its better to rescue it. Dont ask me how

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks