Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 01:53   #4351
BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Here in Australia, that truck chassis would be grabbed for restoration or as a parts donor to complete another similar truck. A lot of our rusty heritage is being sold to the Chinese as scrap because of the high (read'insane') prices being paid per tonne. Once gone,it is gone forever .
The engine looks to be similar to a Perkins 6354 ,although the cross flow head is unfamiliar to me. An Indian made engine I would guess.
Star man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 15:34   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Oh wow, an early Herald! Quite a pity! And the regn. seems to be a MS (Madras) one. But since the plate is white, the car seems to have been in use til recently.

Any other pics. such as the interior etc. if possible??
Hey guys. Sorry was caught up with life. Anyway clicked these for all of you. The car is dying if not dead already.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130214_153230.png
Views: 3351
Size:  598.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130214_153338.png
Views: 3272
Size:  614.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130214_153424.png
Views: 3310
Size:  559.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130214_153507.png
Views: 3313
Size:  566.1 KB

Still trying to figure out who the owner is. The guards like all guards are clueless.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 14th February 2013 at 15:37.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 19:50   #4353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hey guys. Sorry was caught up with life. Anyway clicked these for all of you. The car is dying if not dead already.

Still trying to figure out who the owner is. The guards like all guards are clueless.
Man! Looks worse than it did in your first pic.! Totally r@ped this one! All the more a pity considering tis an early Herald!

'wonder why it was dumped so callously like this considering it was a runner even recently, going by the white plates!

Indeed it is dying and looks like there isnt any hope for't if the owner is untraceable!

Pity to find Heralds in this state even at this time when they are so rare!
Old 14th February 2013, 20:56   #4354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

'wonder why it was dumped so callously like this considering it was a runner even recently, going by the white plates!
To corroborate your point, the front doors had been fitted with speakers of an audio system.
Old 14th February 2013, 21:03   #4355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
To corroborate your point, the front doors had been fitted with speakers of an audio system.
If you say so going by the round hole in the (left) door, those werent for audio speakers but an original feature of Herald doors itself, most likely to enable access to the inner doors, including for fitting/removing the lock fixtures etc.
If you notice, the right front door doesnt show any signs of a speaker having been fitted.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 23:55   #4356
BHPian

Quote:
Man! Looks worse than it did in your first pic.! Totally r@ped this one! All the more a pity considering tis an early Herald!

Indeed it is dying and looks like there isnt any hope for't if the owner is untraceable!

Pity to find Heralds in this state even at this time when they are so rare!
What surprises me is the fact that all residents have one covered parking each beneath the apartment building. Also cars can be parked within the gated society though not covered. But this car is parked outside. Also this car is at the dirtiest corner which is far away from where cars are usually parked. The area is unsafe and prone to thefts. The least he could have done was to park the car beneath the building where it would not have taken such a beating. I guess it belonged to someone in his family who was an enthusiast.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:26   #4357
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone come across a Mini Cooper disintegrating somewhere? Or has anyone restored a Mini?
Or do you guys consider it to be not classic or vintage?
Old 26th February 2013, 12:25   #4358
BANNED

Two Land Rovers one Doomed & one saved

I cant reveal the identity of the place , owner & vehicle .... the guy will kill me

anyways the classic example of > dont touch it , I am going to do some thing about it < sad

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn3631.jpg

This one was fortunate & saved ( perhaps to its glory )

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn3636a.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:07   #4359
Senior - BHPian

No one will kill you its been here for ages and the whole world knows them..any Hidden gems also

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

I cant reveal the identity of the place , owner & vehicle .... the guy will kill me

anyways the classic example of > dont touch it , I am going to do some thing about it < sad

Attachment 1055876

This one was fortunate & saved ( perhaps to its glory )

Attachment 1055877

Sudarshan
Old 26th February 2013, 16:46   #4360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Has anyone come across a Mini Cooper disintegrating somewhere? Or has anyone restored a Mini?
Or do you guys consider it to be not classic or vintage?
An Austin Mini of the 60's is a genuine classic and few of them have already been in the forum.

Last edited by ajay99 : 26th February 2013 at 16:47.
ajay99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 19:36   #4361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hopefully it wont rust away till kingdom come, atleast the body, being made of Aluminium!
Old 26th February 2013, 22:37   #4362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully it wont rust away till kingdom come, atleast the body, being made of Aluminium!
A slight correction there the material was called burma brite
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 22:50   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These cars are decoys, the remnants of the real stuff are in his garage. If I remember correctly, these Landies are engineless, at least when they were when parked like this. Maybe the engines were kept back at 5 gardens

He can't kill me as we don't know each other

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 00:46   #4364
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A slight correction there the material was called burma brite
Birmabright would be more accurate, I think, coming from the company's name Birmabright Works, located in Birmingham. The alloy had a small part of magnesium added to the majority of Aluminum. I've heard the word Birmalloy being used too, unless my memory is playing tricks! I dunno if the series II and III bodies continued with exactly the same constitution of the alloy, or it was slightly modified. My memory is providing conflicting inputs at this hour, so I shall desist from pushing it. The first batch of the series I was painted with a military green that was in surplus after the WWII I do remember, but what again I'm not able to recollect with complete confidence right now is whether the Birmabright, or the Birmalloy had anything to do with the alloy used on aircraft fuselage, and if there's a post-war surplus leftover story therein too!
Prabal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 13:45   #4365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Birmabright would be more accurate, I think, coming from the company's name Birmabright Works, located in Birmingham. The alloy had a small part of magnesium added to the majority of Aluminum. I've heard the word Birmalloy being used too, unless my memory is playing tricks!

Prabal,

Rest assured your memory cells are intact . This is what the Google Baba/Wiki Baba had to say about this

Quote:
Birmabright is a trade name of the former Birmetals Co. (Birmabright works in Clapgate Lane, Quinton, Birmingham[/COLOR], UK for various types of lightweight sheet metal in an alloy of aluminium and magnesium. The constituents are 7% magnesium, sometimes 1% of manganese, and the remainder aluminium. The BB2 is one example, of which equivalent specifications are British standard NS4, American 5251 and designation AlMg2.
Gas welding of Birmabright is easier than that of pure aluminium and may be carried out using scraps of the same material as a filler rod.
Birmabright is best known as the material used in the body of the Land Rover and other classic British vehicles. The doors, boot lid and bonnet of most Rover P4 models were also Birmabright, however towards the end of production this was changed to steel to reduce costs.

Unnquote

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks