Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 12:29   #4561
BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I saw it in Bombay. No idea on who owns it, but I assume it has come for repair as there are many garages in the vicinity.
Thanks Karlosdeville, I am in a hunt of a Dodge Kingsway. If there is any then do let me know!!
Old 31st January 2014, 23:11   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Spotted this Kingsway on the way to work - possibly getting some work done. Maybe diesel, but pleasing to look at even like this

Attachment 1190575

Attachment 1190576

The Above said Kingsway is pending restoration and the car is in Santacruz, Bombay.
jatinpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 01:08   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Yesgeor garage. Its near Chamarajapuram railway station.
This guy was earlier running a Yamaha 75 reapir shop on 100' road in the 70's and more about him can be gleaned form Somendar Singh !
Old 11th February 2014, 22:53   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
This guy was earlier running a Yamaha 75 reapir shop on 100' road in the 70's...
He still has a small shop on that road. A decaying Ducati and a Ninja can be found there, albeit they're very easy to miss among the heaps of junk stashed away!
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 17:59   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
He still has a small shop on that road. A decaying Ducati and a Ninja can be found there, albeit they're very easy to miss among the heaps of junk stashed away!
He also screwed up a Suzuki '86 block by claiming to heat treat it by putting it in a salt bath furnace, the engine was never the same after that !
Old 15th February 2014, 07:42   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Found these 2 rotting in South Goa, there were many more RIP that I saw but managed to click only these two -

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2040.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2041.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2042.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2043.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2044.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2097.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2083.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag2085.jpg
manishalive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 20:42   #4567
BHPian

This one isn't going anywhere soon either. A Hillman a couple of km from Hill Road.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1392477142.891078.jpg
Automaton is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 22:14   #4568
BANNED

Re: Hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Have posted a few more photos of the 57 Chevy Two-Ten in Bangalore: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post858021.

Onto the real topic: from far, we thought the car was a Standard 10, on closer inspection, it turned out to be a Hillman. Managed to click a few photos. Anyone care to identify it more precisely?
Our member thebulletboy revealed this sad news to me today, And Sadly, this car finally enters REST IN PEACE status
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-unnamed.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-unnamed-1.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 07:26   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Our member thebulletboy revealed this sad news to me today, And Sadly, this car finally enters REST IN PEACE status
This is terrible news ! I always saw this parked car everyday near Ice'n'Spice , when I was returning home from school (St Josephs) for years together thru' the 80s. My school bus '116' had its pick-up point just outside this large home where she was parked. We had to wait 10-20 minutes till the bus started the journey.

Anyways, the home truth is that we Team Bhpians may not be able to save each and every classic / vintage vehicle from scrapping despite our full efforts. Mainly, in each case, we atleast need to KNOW in time , before its too late! any one of us , having some cash to spare , can pay a small sum for the car that's going to be scrapped , and save her ! Restoration may be an uphill task and 100% originality may be only a dream . But even improving the vehicle to basic working running condition with a fresh overcoat of paint and with clean seats to sit on, may be achievable!

'scrapping' is our defeat!
Old 19th February 2014, 09:29   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
'scrapping' is our defeat!
Indeed!It hurts! BADLY! A good Hillman gone! Sniff......

That said, we must try and salvage what we see.

But as they say, 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.'

But I confess I do not see the value of this saying now. It is after all, a DEFEAT.

Salvage the cars left BHPians! Let this be the first and only incident. Let the car or its condition not mater. Let it be the Millecento, or the Merc. After all, in our hobby, any car saved, is a good thing, innit?

No cheers.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 19th February 2014 at 09:32.
Old 19th February 2014, 11:09   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Its being idle for some long time now. The owner is not willing to sell it. BTW which model of Plymouth is it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-ply-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-ply-2.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 11:53   #4572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it was an inevitability - this is usually what happens to relatively low value cars under litigation/neglect beyond a certain point. If I had the space I'd have tried to buy it and make some installation out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Its being idle for some long time now. The owner is not willing to sell it. BTW which model of Plymouth is it ?
I guess this was called the Cranbrook. Maybe 1951/52? A good looking model to me.
Old 19th February 2014, 23:18   #4573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
This is terrible news ! I always saw this parked car everyday near Ice'n'Spice , when I was returning home from school (St Josephs) for years together thru' the 80s. My school bus '116' had its pick-up point just outside this large home where she was parked. We had to wait 10-20 minutes till the bus started the journey.
Quote:
Well, it was an inevitability - this is usually what happens to relatively low value cars under litigation/neglect beyond a certain point. If I had the space I'd have tried to buy it and make some installation out of it
And here's why the car finally met its end....it's home of many years itself bites (or, as of now, has bitten?) the dust:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/29727092.cms

Sad end to what must have been a lovely place until a decade ago! But in any case, that house had become beyond repair ever since twas abandoned and was falling apart already, with most of its furniture destroyed by vandals- as I'd seen when I'd been there just once, in 2011:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2371838

Here's a pic. of how the car would've last looked, looks like it was half burnt (like the house!) too:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ouIcZrqObB...Q/s1600/10.JPG
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 00:17   #4574
BHPian

This 1955 millecento belongs to a very senior citizen, about 87 years of age from Calcutta but now settled in Coimbatore for the last 40 years. He has done lots of alterations in the car, all by himself, he has never taken the car to a mechanic!!

He has refused to give away the car even after when approached by so many of them. Just that the RTO did not allow him to pay the road tax for the last 5-6 years, he has not moved the car all these days.

But I am very thankful to this gentleman because even he was approached by so many restorers and mechanics wanting for various parts from the car he has bluntly refused. but he was generous to part with few parts when i had asked him, and all without taking a single rupee !!

I am immensely thankful to this gentleman and this awesome car but the heart bleeds to see the car rot like this :(

Few pictures of the car. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20131130_184753.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20131130_184811.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20131130_185017.jpg  

Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 11:44   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
But I am very thankful to this gentleman because even he was approached by so many restorers and mechanics wanting for various parts from the car he has bluntly refused. but he was generous to part with few parts when i had asked him, and all without taking a single rupee !!

I am immensely thankful to this gentleman and this awesome car but the heart bleeds to see the car rot like this :(

Few pictures of the car. Thank you.
Would the Gentleman be interested in parting with the whole car, as i would like to bring her back to her glory days.

Most Viewed