Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 13:10   #721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
No speedy, his is a hardtop..Will see your biscayne soon.
then it is not the same car egangsta. that car was a convertible. correction that is not my biscayne it belongs to someone else i just restored it for him.
Old 29th October 2007, 13:34   #722
BHPian

Speedy, here is the car i was talkin about.You can see the changes to the front ,maruti parking lights.. .The car will be going for restoration once his Vauxhall and Herald are ready..

Old 29th October 2007, 14:07   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher likepointed out by egansta it is a biscayne. there used to be a red one that was used for weddings in bombay. this car sure has alot of rust on it and must have been picked up by some collector. it also must have had an engine swap to make it more economical.
Speedy & ED: This car I saw had a (B)el-Air badge on the left front wing (although painted over).....I took a photo of that side as well but cant find it right now....
Yes your right it would've had a newer (most likely Diesel!) engine plonked into it! Most of these cars that were used for weddings were....
Old 29th October 2007, 14:28   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes your right it would've had a newer (most likely Diesel!) engine plonked into it! Most of these cars that were used for weddings were....
the worst part is you cant find the original engines now. most get used up for spare parts. i had the opertunity to own a coupe but could not find the engine so had to turn it down.
Old 29th October 2007, 18:41   #725
BHPian

Quote:
i had the opertunity to own a coupe but could not find the engine so had to turn it down.
Is this coupe that you speak of still available?
Old 29th October 2007, 19:40   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Is this coupe that you speak of still available?
this was in the mid 90's and last i heard that the car was bought by a collector outside bombay who had a spare engine. i do not know what happened to the car after that.
Old 29th October 2007, 21:44   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this was in the mid 90's and last i heard that the car was bought by a collector outside bombay who had a spare engine. i do not know what happened to the car after that.
Uh speedy did you mean a 59 chevy coupe?? I'm not aware of any that existed in that model range....there were just 2-door sedans (maybe your referring to those?) & 2-dr hardtops but not to be classified as coupes:

Chevy59.com Data on Chev Impala Bel Air and Biscayne 1959
Old 29th October 2007, 21:52   #728
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can someone tell me the difference between a biscayne and an impala. I think the impala is a higher end version, but what are the tell tale signs?
Old 29th October 2007, 22:20   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Guys, can someone tell me the difference between a biscayne and an impala. I think the impala is a higher end version, but what are the tell tale signs?
Well I can enlighten the differences on the '59 Impala/Biscayne atleast on the cosmetic aspects....the Impala you could rightly say was a high-end version looking at the trim level Vs that of the Biscayne, which didnt have a full side-trim/patti or even the full 'eyebrow' trims, unlike the Impala, whuch also had a trim at the centre top of the roof above the rear windscreen....can compare both in these pics.:

chevy59.com - Gallery Pictures of 1959 Impala Biscayne Bel Air others
Old 29th October 2007, 22:45   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uh speedy did you mean a 59 chevy coupe?? I'm not aware of any that existed in that model range....there were just 2-door sedans (maybe your referring to those?) & 2-dr hardtops but not to be classified as coupes:

yes by coupe i mean the two door hard top. my two door merc is also refered to as a coupe so i use the term for all two door cars stanher.
Old 1st November 2007, 10:07   #731
Ram
Senior - BHPian

1959 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe

Quote:

A coupé is a closed car with two frameless doors -- the window glass seals directly against extruded rubber tubing on the main body. In other words, modern coupés do not have "B" pillars. So technically speaking Porsches are not coupés!
This also means that 2 door hard tops are coupés. 4-door "B" pillarless hardtops are not.

And if it means anything to you my dear friends, in 1959 Chevrolet did have what they called a coupe in the Impala trim-level.

That's the 1959 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe.

Picture below.

1. Note the lovely Dagmars.
  2. In 1959, Chevrolet called this color: Gothic Gold Poly-Tone. Poly-Tone paint is a repairable semi-gloss paint that dries in air to a soft satin-gloss finish. It can then be buffed to a high luster sheen.
  3. As you can see, the doors were frameless. The windable window glasses in the door and in the quarterpanel had a chrome channel around it. The window wound down, along with its associated chrome trim, giving you a "B" pillarless coupé. The quarterlight could be swiveled with its own winder (with bevel gears).
  4. The correct pronunciation for coupé is . But Americans who must distort everything their way, say
Ram
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:59   #732
Senior - BHPian

I had posted some pictures of a Hillman long time back (which even I can't find after searching, lol).

However, I've got a fresh set of pictures and I had the opportunity of meeting the owner of this beauty again. The owner has some plans of restoring it, hopefully he'll do it.

Here are the pictures:

A look at the interiors.....

..... The sunroof.....

.... Manual wiper and the RVM....

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 2nd November 2007 at 02:02.
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:18   #733
Senior - BHPian

great work rockster. the pics and the car are great. the car is very restorable and needs only minor attention. i am glad atleast the owner is thinking of getting it back to its prime. hope to see this car on the road soon.
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:03   #734

hey...this is the same type of car that i had posted in a seperate thread....

Old 2nd November 2007, 03:04   #735

this is what a fully restored one looks like.....

Quote:
cyrus this is the hillman minx phase 3. produced from 1948-1949. it has a 1185cc sidevalve engine.
here is a restored car picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks